Doug Aldrich sig amp/Suhr

panhead

Whats up with that amp? I don't see it for sale on Suhr`s website. Did John just make a couple for Doug? Any info thanks.

panhead":38un7xf4 said:
Whats up with that amp? I don't see it for sale on Suhr`s website. Did John just make a couple for Doug? Any info thanks.

One for Doug. Two for Chippy. LOL

Amp sounded pretty badass.

The original CAA Bradshaw / Suhr / Golub "Aldrich" amps that Doug has been using for years were basically channel 3 of the CAA 3+ SE preamp with a plexi power section. I believe it was a mod they built into Doug's Marshalls.
( yes I know Cameron made him an amp as well, but these appear to be the original and more widely used "Aldrich" amps. There are a few threads on the Gear page where John Suhr posts about these amps )
The Suhr SE100 was a handwired production version of this. He also did a 50 piece run of a "Blackout " version that was the same amp with different cosmetics.
There WAS going to be a signature Suhr Aldrich amp, but it never happened for whatever reason. I don't imagine it would have been drasticly different than the circuit Doug has been using for years, aside from the Aldrich name on the front.
I believe if you get in touch with John Suhr, he'll still make you an SE100, but they are large$$ for a single channel amp (handwired though ).

It's definitely a great sounding high gain circuit, and it cleans up pretty well with your volume control.
4 gain stages + cathode follower ( 4x 12ax7's, + one for the tube loop) no diodes. Second stage is a cold clipper like an 800. The scheme for the 3+ preamp is all over the net, so it's not hard to figure out.
The SE100 has really beefy filtering on the plates, and a kind of funky presence / depth arangement, but it sounds great, and more importanly FEELS better than any other Suhr I've played.
The older CAA OD100 SE+ is supposed to be similar, but it's buit on a PCB, and while it sounds OK ( though not as agressive as the SE100) it feels like a lifeless turd.
YMMV

fusedbrain":jed0rd5j said:
The original CAA Bradshaw / Suhr / Golub "Aldrich" amps that Doug has been using for years were basically channel 3 of the CAA 3+ SE preamp with a plexi power section. I believe it was a mod they built into Doug's Marshalls.
( yes I know Cameron made him an amp as well, but these appear to be the original and more widely used "Aldrich" amps. There are a few threads on the Gear page where John Suhr posts about these amps )
The Suhr SE100 was a handwired production version of this. He also did a 50 piece run of a "Blackout " version that was the same amp with different cosmetics.
There WAS going to be a signature Suhr Aldrich amp, but it never happened for whatever reason. I don't imagine it would have been drasticly different than the circuit Doug has been using for years, aside from the Aldrich name on the front.
I believe if you get in touch with John Suhr, he'll still make you an SE100, but they are large$$ for a single channel amp (handwired though ).

It's definitely a great sounding high gain circuit, and it cleans up pretty well with your volume control.
4 gain stages + cathode follower ( 4x 12ax7's, + one for the tube loop) no diodes. Second stage is a cold clipper like an 800. The scheme for the 3+ preamp is all over the net, so it's not hard to figure out.
The SE100 has really beefy filtering on the plates, and a kind of funky presence / depth arangement, but it sounds great, and more importanly FEELS better than any other Suhr I've played.
The older CAA OD100 SE+ is supposed to be similar, but it's buit on a PCB, and while it sounds OK ( though not as agressive as the SE100) it feels like a lifeless turd.
YMMV
Great info ! Thanks ! Did Doug still use the PQ3 in front of these amps ?

PAULYC2":uixc8yau said:
fusedbrain":uixc8yau said:

YMMV
Great info ! Thanks ! Did Doug still use the PQ3 in front of these amps ?
Sorry, no idea.
I was researching the amp to do a build, not really focused on Doug's gear per se.
It was actually Chippy's vids that got me interested in this amp, even though I've owned a few other Suhr amps and wasn't impressed.
So I said fuk it, I'm not dropping any more cash on another Suhr amp I might hate, I'll just build one and see how it goes. ( It's just a beefed up plexi really, and I had most of the parts on hand already )
It has exceeded all my expectations, fortunately.
I think it's become my favourite amp :D

psychodave":1kt41by2 said:
fusedbrain":1kt41by2 said:
Mailman1971":1kt41by2 said:
Saw Doug with the Dead Daisies.
Tone was insane good
Premiere Guitar Dead Daisies rig rundown:
https://youtu.be/MTEdZtG3NKc
Pic of the Suhr modded JMP here:
https://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resou ... G_8891.jpg
I did mention that it's a good sounding circuit :LOL: :LOL: :yes:

It’s a great sounding circuit, but to me, it isn’t the easiest to play. It’s touch sensitivity is really lacking.
I agree about the touch / feel thing with the CAA / Suhr amps I've tried, and also the SL68, but I'm not finding that to be the case with my SE100 clone.
Just curious, but is your comment based on playing a CAA/Suhr OD100 SE+, or did you try one of the handwired SE100's?

fusedbrain":3d159cks said:
psychodave":3d159cks said:
fusedbrain":3d159cks said:
Mailman1971":3d159cks said:
Tone was insane good

It’s a great sounding circuit, but to me, it isn’t the easiest to play. It’s touch sensitivity is really lacking.
I agree about the touch / feel thing with the CAA / Suhr amps I've tried, and also the SL68, but I'm not finding that to be the case with my SE100 clone.
Just curious, but is your comment based on playing a CAA/Suhr OD100 SE+, or did you try one of the handwired SE100's?

I’ve played them all but the SE100.

Also apparently the Engl Artist was Dougs signature that never came out
Essentially a Savage w El34 and what the describe
As The Los Angeles sound in the preamp

psychodave":3mmmuyfk said:
fusedbrain":3mmmuyfk said:
psychodave":3mmmuyfk said:
fusedbrain":3mmmuyfk said:
Mailman1971":3mmmuyfk said:
Tone was insane good

I’ve played them all but the SE100.
OK, thanks! That helps a lot.
I'm trying to understand why why certain amps sound ( and feel ) the way they do from a build standpoint.
It's starting to make sense....

bhuard75":sx3dudms said:
panhead":sx3dudms said:

One for Doug. Two for Chippy. LOL

Amp sounded pretty badass.
Lmaool, this may actually be spot on as funny as it is., and 30 second clips for demos with riffs

I have the Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 SE+ and right along side of my Cameron and Gower and Cornfords, it hangs with em all. It's got it's own cool sounding distortion/overdrive to it that doesn't make it redundant to the others either.
A little tweaking with the tubes and bias and this thing's a beast.

Just got the Henning/VFE standout in and I tell ya the second channel, boost off, running the standout...this thing has an amazing articulation/feel, really cool. May even prefer that tone to the 2nd channel with the boost on and John's built in boost in this amp is pretty good.
Sometimes too, for the fuck of it, when I really want to get some Aldrich tones going I run this amp with the Gower Aldrich dual mono.

There are a couple different versions floating around though.
I have the SE+ board with the Heyboer "plexi" output transformer and the original big honkin black power transformer.
I had Chris Justice over there update it too to the current, more gain/aggressive channel 2 and he put in the Whomp 2 while he was there. Only thing I might have added, thinking back, was the solid state FX loop and a second master volume...maybe.

I seem to remember the Doug amp is basically just the SE+ boosted 2nd channel with some low mid/bass removed and a couple small tweeks.

Back