Driftwood Purple Nightmare....What a disappointment

Wow just checking thread out. Is this the male menstration thread šŸ˜‚.
You all aware 70% of that sound coming from your amp is determined by your cabinet and speakers.

Got a 5153 stealth. Couldnā€™t get a TONE I liked from it. Got a EVH 4x12 and instantly changed the amp. Was running through a Mesa 4x12.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s good to have a variety of cabinets and different speakers

Iā€™m running a ENGL Powerball II through a scum back 4x12. Simply awesome sauce. And lovely cleans as a bonus.
I think that part is greatly overlooked unfortunately because the right cab usually does make a world of difference . I think most just plug into whatever cab's they have and judge the amp on that which is understandable because not many have the $$$ to purchase the best cab that would fit a particular head the best . Great point on your part.

You all aware 70% of that sound coming from your amp is determined by your cabinet and speakers.

Got a 5153 stealth. Couldnā€™t get a TONE I liked from it. Got a EVH 4x12 and instantly changed the amp. Was running through a Mesa 4x12.

Iā€™m running a ENGL Powerball II through a scum back 4x12. Simply awesome sauce. And lovely cleans as a bonus.

Or it's entirely possible that an amp isn't all it's crack up to be and not the right fit regardless of what cab/speakers you run it through.

I have zero experience with the actual amp, but I recently acquired an amp guru neural capture pack of the darkest nightmare and I love it. im pairing it with a wizard capture (with a does it doom doomsaw pedal) and im in tonal heaven. amps tend to react to your playing style as well, and guitar tone is highly subjective.

HOLY SHIT! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I never knew that. Thanks for pointing ALL of us in the right direction. SMH.

There he is!!!!,
Yā€™all can keep you ENGL junk, Iā€™ll take
the Pro-cabs, those are dope AF.
Jeez..are the engineers/designers retired
K-Mart guys?
Like a giant confusing plastic alarm clock.
Compression?-thatā€™ll learn you.

-All that plastic and the Euro-voicing,
really gets to you at some point doesnā€™t it?-

*anybody who wants a nice selection of used
ENGLā€™s?
Head down to your local Guitar Center,
Go to where they have the heavy-hitters & 4X12
cabinets.
Boom!!!! Itā€™s a damn ENGL holiday!!!
Why is that?
Because nobody wants to take the bath on resale
so maybe the dudeā€™s at GC will realize the value of this and even with them robbing me it will be more then selling anywhere else,
(And saved the embarrassment of takinā€™ that bath!)
NOT!, turns out they can read like the PP associates, LTFOL!!
-Thereā€™s no free lunch..unless your buying and
it sure as shit better not be an ENGL.-

Are you off your schizophrenic meds again?

Are you off your schizophrenic meds again?
Hey Chris i just wanted to say that i LOVE your Signature. Everytime i read it and see *All 20 watt heads sound the same as all of these amps* I die laughing. Thanks for making my shitty work day better.

WOW! you're demoing stuff in partnership with ENGL.... Damn dude, you've really grown your channel in a relatively short amount of time. Congrats on your success thus far, I hope it keeps growing.
Dude, trust me when I say I'm as surprised as you are! Haha
Definitely NEVER expected this level of attention with the channel, especially in this short amount of time. I guess I'm humble bragging, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately and it's still incredibly surprising to me, but I'm grateful as hell to be doing it.

I owned the Darkest Nightmare and thought it sounded killer until I turned it up to pretty loud volumes, the amp got fairly thin and lacked the grunt when it was at friendlier volumes. I wanted to love it but Matt warned me their build quality was garbage. To me it sounded like a nice boosted Recto and had a thick low end and was fun to play. The Badlander 100 would be my choice if you're into what the Driftwood amps claim to do.
Who is Matt?

I've played and owned a ton of amps that "for some reason, I just can't get it to work for me".

Doesn't mean they're bad amps, key phrase is "it just doesn't work for you". Some people blast the JVM which has been my main amp for years, I think to myself how can these people not dial in a good tone with that amp but I have to remember - it just doesn't work for them. I believe you disliked the JVM as well.

My most recent high dollar acquisition was the Mezzabarba Trinity, in fact I had been settled amp wise for ages (still am) but that amp really intrigued me based on it's build and all the talk. Got it and for the life of me I could not dial in a good tone on that thing. Eq's in the front, the loop, boosting it...didn't matter. I was highly disappointed but the Key phrase applied here, I just couldn't get it to work for me.
To be fair, a ton of demos I've seen on the Mezzabarba have never sounded great to me. An amp that has a lot of hype but doesn't produce any tones I thought sounded great. Maybe they scooped mids too hard in the design? It sounds muffled, yet brash. I find that a lot of amps that boost the top and bottom while scooping mids sound this way. Can't really fix it either if it is in the design. I THOUGHT I wanted that amp so bad and demo after demo, I realized I wouldn't pay for one.

Weird.

Not good when you receive a brand new amp and parts are rolling around in the inside. lol The midi board assembly and mounting was garbage.
What am I missing? I looked through your posts about Driftwood and donā€™t see anything but positive reviews about KT88s and such. Youā€™re just claiming you had ā€œpieces rolling aroundā€ somewhere?

Peavey Triple X head. Sounds like fizzy ASS. Plus, some of the pots are scratchy as hell. One video I watched on that amp said the pots needed to be sprayed every couple of years. Of course, I saw the video after I got the amp. Arrgh. Gee, Peavey, thanks for using cheap shit pots on the Triple X. I hate that amp. Can't wait to unload it.

The pots on my 1988 Peavey Triumph have no noise at all. Plus, the Triumph slays the Triple X. It chugs like a mofo, crunchy AF, no fizz, and no overdrive pedal needed to tighten up the sound. Sounds great through my 4x12. James Brown says the Triumph can get some great EVH tones using Greenbacks. Haven't tried that yet.

Peavey Triple X head. Sounds like fizzy ASS. Plus, some of the pots are scratchy as hell. One video I watched on that amp said the pots needed to be sprayed every couple of years. Of course, I saw the video after I got the amp. Arrgh. Gee, Peavey, thanks for using cheap shit pots on the Triple X. I hate that amp. Can't wait to unload it.

The pots on my 1988 Peavey Triumph have no noise at all. Plus, the Triumph slays the Triple X. It chugs like a mofo, crunchy AF, no fizz, and no overdrive pedal needed to tighten up the sound. Sounds great through my 4x12. James Brown says the Triumph can get some great EVH tones using Greenbacks. Haven't tried that yet.
Interesting

The only amps I have ever sold were all rectifiers.
I have had three of them, I just do not like playing them. Other people sound great to me on them.

Back