Drummer's opinion

Based on actual serious skills, like, true serious drumming skills

• Terry Bozzio

• Neil Peart

• Danny Carey

Results are only viewable after voting.
I viewed the ask about technical drummers vs feel and/or how hard they hit. Carey would be up there in the technical category for sure. So I thought the grouping made sense.

Gotcha, yes definitely a hard hitter and I bet you he was into RUSH himself by the way he plays in the clips I watched.

Peart brought a whack of incredible feel to Rush...

Can't even count the number of times I got to see them at the Gardens in T.O. or their studio that was in the Morin neighborhood of Quebec; that was awesome. Up close and personal. And the first Marshall I ever played was owned by the guitarist for April Wine at the time who were recording there as well.

Very cool indeed. How did you get access to studio back then? Know someone in production?

Very cool indeed. How did you get access to studio back then? Know someone in production?
Ya, my HS was located across from Lifeson's house and respective neighborhood, and a tonne of PR/agency cats were my friends parents, AND studio owners, the parties were awesome - in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, it was all family businesses. Saw so many bands - Rush, April Wine, Nazareth, Styx, Max Webster/Kim Mitchell, Triumph, just - a shit tonne. They were always cool - open door policies as most of these places were actual residential abodes and not just studios.

Seems like many lifetimes ago.

Ya, my HS was located across from Lifeson's house and respective neighborhood, and a tonne of PR/agency cats were my friends parents, AND studio owners, the parties were awesome - in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, it was all family businesses. Saw so many bands - Rush, April Wine, Nazareth, Styx, Max Webster/Kim Mitchell, Triumph, just - a shit tonne. They were always cool - open door policies as most of these places were actual residential abodes and not just studios.

Seems like many lifetimes ago.

It feels like the 70's kept the egos in check somewhat. I mean there were some divas and pricks but overall you had a very high level of musicianship to match the drugs and party lifestyle vs the 80's which had talent yes, but also people going out of their way to portray this image of being bigger than the scene they belonged to. I'm a fan of both eras but if we take the lead guitar playing out of the 80's, the material from the 70's and the musicians rip the 80's guys apart. Go even further back to the late 60's.. Hendrix's band are you kidding me? Those guys sound like they are carrying HIM most nights because he is circling 6 other planets but earth while playing.

Anyway, great memories to have. Thanks for sharing. Those are some big time bands with awesome musicians.

It feels like the 70's kept the egos in check somewhat. I mean there were some divas and pricks but overall you had a very high level of musicianship to match the drugs and party lifestyle vs the 80's which had talent yes, but also people going out of their way to portray this image of being bigger than the scene they belonged to. I'm a fan of both eras but if we take the lead guitar playing out of the 80's, the material from the 70's and the musicians rip the 80's guys apart. Go even further back to the late 60's.. Hendrix's band are you kidding me? Those guys sound like they are carrying HIM most nights because he is circling 6 other planets but earth while playing.

Anyway, great memories to have. Thanks for sharing. Those are some big time bands with awesome musicians.
You couldn't more spot on with this idea of musicianship versus era lineage. As Zappa said, "when ugly people made beautiful music". Seems the whole thing kinda popped when MTV kicked in - suddenly music became what you looked like and less about what you sounded like; save for some exceptional "exceptions" LOL. My main stay for musical upbringing was the hairspray/lipstick/spandex shitshow of the 80s; but I knew where the real music was at thanks to my friends older brothers, and yes, a tonne of industry folk I had the remarkable opportunity to hang with - as a kid - seeing in action, the mixing consoles, the process, the musicianship, the chemistry, even the chemicals LOL... It was quickly evident the snotty boys with hairspray were shit - and the real music was made by real cats.

Thinking back I really truly have always known it was a gifted time - a privilege to say the least - but at the time in my "yoot" it was just another weekend or after-school-activity I did with friends and their hip parents. And of course it allowed me to be around professional gear, with professional musicians, who actually - as mind-blowing as it is to say - were patient and cool enough to sit my ass down and show me shit to play. Initially I was called a "natural drummer", but it was guitar that gave me wood. Left handed by nature but needed to learn right - a minor obstacle. But ya, I can still rip mad on the kit, but it's been 40 years of guitar and still a long road of learning ahead (in my opinion).

Peace!! Glad you enjoyed the blast from the past!! For me - an amazing era to be submersed in as a kid.

Neil taught us about true craftsmanship. Terry and Danny would probably wonder how they could be picked over Neil.

You couldn't have at least bumped it with a *Ba-dum tis*?

Or, with these drummers, it's more like:

*ba-dah bad-boh tis-ah scribbady dibbady scrash, pah*
Well played - my bad....

(drum roll...... SPLASH!!!!)

Back