Dual Bias Mod for Stiletto II?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skoora
  • Start date Start date
skoora

skoora

Well-known member
I’ve long had a bias mod on my stage II and have found myself living in Spongy a lot these days. Has anyone done, or know how to do dual bias controls where you can set optimal bias for bold and spongy separately and have it switch with the bold and spongy switch?
When I put Bold at 70% dissipation (about 38mA) switching to Spongy drops it to 24mA but that’s less than 50% with where the plate voltage drops to. Spongy gets very nice when you get it back up into the 30’s but if you were to switch back to bold, you’ll be at around 50mA, well over safe dissipation.
I don’t trust myself to not absent mindedly do just that if I set the bias I want for Spongy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PDC
I can’t help with your question, but I will say that I plugged my Steiletto (Stage I) in for the first time yesterday after playing my 90s Reissue Recto for the past few weeks. Always loved my Stiletto but had never compared it side by side to a rectifier and was worried I’d have fallen out of love with it after playing the recto for a while. But man, it sounded so good. Nice to see these amps getting the love they deserve - and they’re a bargain (relatively speaking). Interested to see what your question turns up…
 
  • Like
Reactions: PDC
Following. Very good question and that would be a very useful option. Maybe based off of the same type of switch that selects between 2 separate bias settings for amps that can run on EL34 or 6L6?

I have always loved the Stiletto model. Such a cool amp. I'm always tempted whenever I see a clean one available.
 
Back
Top