Dual/Triple Rec. Multi-Watt or Badlander 100

The Badlander kills, and is much different than a Recto. Rectos have massive low end, where the BL has super pissed, ripping mids. The Recto needs a boost, the BL does not, yet it feels like it’s boosted. The Recto has that signature clank to it and a stiffer feel, the BL has a bouncy, effortless feel that plays itself. It’s a little C+ like in that aspect. The Recto is more raw and jagged, while the BL is smoother and a little more refined, while still being extremely aggressive thanks to the ripping mids. The BL has a vicious growl to it and killer harmonics. TBH, the BL sounds ok at low volumes, but when you open it up, it goes next level. Yeah, I know, all tube amps do that, but the BL does it amazingly. At volume, it’s tone and feel are pretty jawdropping, while still being extremely quiet. The BL reminds me of a Recto meets a wicked modded Marshall, with as good or better feel than them both. IMO Mesa knocked it out of the park by changing it up. What would be the point of another typical Recto? They’ve been making those for 29 years.

Last edited:
One person says the badlander is very tight. Another says it is bouncy. I always thought the traditional dual rec was less tight but people are saying it’s stiff now?

so confusing. Different stroke for different folks I guess.

One person says the badlander is very tight. Another says it is bouncy. I always thought the traditional dual rec was less tight but people are saying it’s stiff now?

so confusing. Different stroke for different folks I guess.
The regular recto is relatively stiff feeing but sounds woofy and bloated. It’s kinda strange

The regular recto is relatively stiff feeing but sounds woofy and bloated. It’s kinda strange
The Badlander is the exact opposite of that. I think my Rev F/C Triple doesn’t feel too stiff though

To answer Faded Abyss’s question there can be big differences between how an amp sounds and how it feels to play. None of us are disagreeing with how these different amps we discuss feel and sound

The Badlander and CCV both sound very tight and focused, but feel bouncy and forgiving to play. It seems contradictory, but try them and you’ll see what we mean. Some other amps for whatever reason feel stiff and unforgiving yet don’t get that super tight, attacky sound on palm mutes. The 2 factors are independent and not really correlated with each other

Yeah to me Recto Modern is stiff feeling but not particularly tight, while a Mesa Mark is bouncy but the low end is rather tight.
The VH4’s are also like that. They feel tight and unforgiving, but don’t sound as tight actually as most other high gain amps. These semantics are why there can often be arguments when others actually have the same opinions. It can be just different semantics or referring to feel vs tone

Back