Duncan JB stock vs duncan Telegib Concept set?

hopkinWFG

JB lovers.... just wondering has anybody tried the authentic Telegib concept set by Duncan custom shop? Its the first iteration which Seymour built for Jeff back back in the days before the Jeff beck Humbucker is called JB....

Any sonic difference between the stock production JB or antiquity JB vs the Concept set ? Do we have more natural mids , more open sounding ,not being too weak or sterile soinding on the Concept set than the production JB ?

Whats on the horizon on these concept set do we have on tone than being vintage aesthetic outlook ?

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to these pickups ? A search just gives me results for the Telegib guitar
Not much info on this... only saw the telegib guitar whom Seymour presented at namm.... but we could order the concept set from duncan website.... i just wondering if it gonna be a game changer with a better different organic sound of how the original JB sound....

Not much info on this... only saw the telegib guitar whom Seymour presented at namm.... but we could order the concept set from duncan website.... i just wondering if it gonna be a game changer with a better different organic sound of how the original JB sound....
Gotcha . A cost friendly alternative for more organic JB is replacing the factory polished A5 with a rough cast A5. Smooths out the tone just a bit , sounds a little more balanced

Last edited:
Not sterile not weak? Sound more open ?
Just pokin' fun 😉 . @hammered had great advice--learning to swap magnets will save you a ton of $$. Swapping coils even more so. I have several SD pickups and like them but in the end it's all just a combination of copper conductor wrapped around a magnet reacting to your particular piece of wood. Not saying all expensive pickups are not worth the $$--I have plenty of those too--but there are much cheaper ways to experiment than buying in to marketing babble (y)

Just pokin' fun 😉 . @hammered had great advice--learning to swap magnets will save you a ton of $$. Swapping coils even more so. I have several SD pickups and like them but in the end it's all just a combination of copper conductor wrapped around a magnet reacting to your particular piece of wood. Not saying all expensive pickups are not worth the $$--I have plenty of those too--but there are much cheaper ways to experiment than buying in to marketing babble (y)

Changjng magnets should be quite easy i guess.... i have intention of taking out the pickup tactfully and try to dewax my old JB i wonder if the wax does gets into the windings?

Changjng magnets should be quite easy i guess.... i have intention of taking out the pickup tactfully and try to dewax my old JB i wonder if the wax does gets into the windings?
Whatever you get out of there should change the tone of the pickup IME. SD doesn't goop the things from what I remember--I have a hybrid CC/59? I made before it was a std offering. Nice honk out of a strat, cuts like a MF. Newest pickup I'm liking is the Norton I just put in the bridge of a Jazzmaster partscaster. Real nice bite and grind, but I don't chug lol.

With the Telegib set, how do we know how the thing even sounded? Beck never recorded with it did he?

Changing magnets in a Duncan is a breeze. I’m not very sharp with the mechanics of guitars and amps but I can swap a magnet lol . Some Dimarzio magnets are glued in which makes swappng a PITA

Whatever you get out of there should change the tone of the pickup IME. SD doesn't goop the things from what I remember--I have a hybrid CC/59? I made before it was a std offering. Nice honk out of a strat, cuts like a MF. Newest pickup I'm liking is the Norton I just put in the bridge of a Jazzmaster partscaster. Real nice bite and grind, but I don't chug lol.

With the Telegib set, how do we know how the thing even sounded? Beck never recorded with it did he?

Haha... not sure thou... i never hear Jeff beck music sorry for my ignorance... cause i unknowingly been using the JB for most of it.... i heard Jeff beck uses it on his blow by blow record ? Correct me if wrong lol... since i got my Heritage H150 in Oxblood i am trying to get in a set of pickup that be akin to Jeff beck.....

Gotcha . A cost friendly alternative for more organic JB is replacing the factory polished A5 with a rough cast A5. Smooths out the tone just a bit , sounds a little more balanced

I heard that many times haha... yet to try out someday !!

Haha... not sure thou... i never hear Jeff beck music sorry for my ignorance... cause i unknowingly been using the JB for most of it.... i heard Jeff beck uses it on his blow by blow record ? Correct me if wrong lol... since i got my Heritage H150 in Oxblood i am trying to get in a set of pickup that be akin to Jeff beck.....
Man I'd say you want a lower wind vintage style PAF--I always thought BBB was recorded with the Les Paul he routed for humbuckers. I guess b/c he's playing it on the cover. Regardless, a pair of humbuckers in a tele is not going to sound like the same set in a LP.

Man I'd say you want a lower wind vintage style PAF--I always thought BBB was recorded with the Les Paul he routed for humbuckers. I guess b/c he's playing it on the cover. Regardless, a pair of humbuckers in a tele is not going to sound like the same set in a LP.
He used a Les Paul , Strat and the TeleGib on Blow By Blow. Supposedly Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers and Freeway Jam are the TeleGib.

But,..what about the question? I’ve got a CS JB and my personal preference in the two JB instruments I use is the stock JB. There are subtle differences but the quality of the stock JB is top notch.

But,..what about the question? I’ve got a CS JB and my personal preference in the two JB instruments I use is the stock JB. There are subtle differences but the quality of the stock JB is top notch
What did Duncan do the the Custom Shop version you have that it differs from the standard JB ?

Disclosure - I’ve bought a TON of pickups in my days. And swapped a TON of magnets. While I stipulate that there ‘is’ a difference in pickups - to my ear anyway - the difference in pickups swapped into the identical guitar through the identical amp is down at the absolute lowest end of the ‘noticeable’ spectrum. Top end of that spectrum for truly ‘noticeable’ difference with all other factors being identical is speakers. Plug your guitar into your head and drive 3 different 4x12s loaded with: 1) 20 watt GBs; 2) V-30s; and 3) GT-75s and you WILL hear the difference. Pick your favorite of those 3 cabs with your head and guitar and swap in a Duncan ‘59 followed by a ‘78 or a Duncan Distortion followed by a JB and you will be hard pressed to tell the difference - let alone which one sounded qualitatively ‘better.’ You will hear a difference between ‘vintage’ output winds with A2 mags and ‘hot’ output winds with ceramic mags - but beyond those dramatic changes, the variances are subtle at best. Especially after adding gain, boost, verb, delay, etc. But that sure doesn’t mean that it isn’t fun and exciting to chase tone by swapping in variants of the same general ‘flavor’ of pickup…

What did Duncan do the the Custom Shop version you have that it differs from the standard JB ?

Heard duncan uses the always talked about rough cast A5 magnets, and maple spacer... not sure if its potted on the antiquity jazz/jb set.... not sure if its uses different bobbin wires, not sure if its scatterwound....

But i did get a small readup on the telegib JB which a different wire is used ...

Just not sure whats the significance in the tone... i played a JBJ 90s pickup and it was sweet but my laziness taught me a lesson as i stupidly sold the JBJ out together with the guitar out .... now i have a 80s JBJ again knowing its tone quality and after hearing the stock JB i have on my Jackson it just sucks.... lol

Last edited:
Heard duncan uses the always talked about rough cast A5 magnets, and maple spacer... not sure if its potted on the antiquity jazz/jb set.... not sure if its uses different bobbin wires, not sure if its scatterwound....

But i did get a small readup on the telegib JB which a different wire is used ...

Just not sure whats the significant on the tone... i played a JBJ 90s pickup and it was sweet but my laziness taught me a lesson as i stupidly sold the JBJ out together with the guitar out .... now i have a 80s JBJ again knowing its tone quality and after hearing the stock JB i have on my Jackson it just sucks.... lol
Are the Telegib JB and the Antiquity JB are two different pickups ?

Back