Dune....

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
Enjoyed the new movie but have decided to re-read the series. I read Dune again a few months ago but after raiding the prison library I grabbed Children of Dune, God emperor of dune, and House Atreides and House Corrino. Started On House Atreides....Definitely not Frank Herbert writing. That dude was a savant.

Awesome sauce, Brother Stoivo.

Being a low-brow luddite, I watched the 1984 movie the other night. I know it's not epic / "huge" like the new one, but I like the raw honesty of it.

The way they suck the colour out of new-era movies shits me; it never looks like the real world, all grey / blue-grey and shit.

Being a low-brow luddite, I watched the 1984 movie the other night. I know it's not epic / "huge" like the new one, but I like the raw honesty of it.

The way they suck the colour out of new-era movies shits me; it never looks like the real world, all grey / blue-grey and shit.
I actually like the sepia tone/grey style coloring but I grew up preferring overcast days to sunny ones so there’s that.

I loved the original book and all iterations on the small and big screen. What I most enjoyed with the new movie is how immersive the sound is in the theater. It’s quite and experience.

Have you read The Foundation Trilogy? One of the few as epic as the original Dune.

The best of all in this genre imo is 'Hyperion' and 'The Fall of Hyperion' by Dan Simmons.
I have tried but never could get into it. Of course I was a teenager then so I actually might revisit it. Saw a few clips of the foundation series and it looked great. The Hyperion Cantos has been on my list for awhile.

The Hyperion Cantos has been on my list for awhile.

The first two ARE the cantos imo. The rest of the series is good, but like you said about Herbert and the original Dune,
when Simmons was originally in the zone he was on an entire different level.

I've read 100s of fiction novels and The Shrike is easily the most enigmatic character of any.
hyperion_tropes_2620.jpg

Really a jaw dropping read - both novels together.
The first one ends on a sorta cliffhanger anyway.

Get the Spicediver Fan Edit of Dune that has all the deleted scenes edited in...3+ hour runtime, totally worth it.

Back