Early 70's Super Lead - your thoughts

aside

Hi guys,
Spotted this Super Lead locally - looks rough but thought it might be a cool project. Your thoughts on the good, bad and ugly? Will probably go have a look this weekend, what transformers codes and markings am I looking for?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.40.24 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.40.45 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.40.56 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.41.04 am.png

I’m learning now on what to look for; I have a 67 50w and a 72 SuperTrem. Looks like Plexi panels? I can’t quite tell. The orange drops aren’t original and the wiring in the power section looks wonky, maybe the PT is a replacement? Pretty common as my 72 had a later 70s Dagnall pt in it. The OT would be either the C1998 or 2668; the PT T2562. They would be on small square stickers on the bells if they survived till today.
How much? If it’s 3K or less jump on it, even if some parts are changed. OT looks good but an expert should chime in. I joined the Marshall forum and it might be a good idea for you to join, and post this in the vintage sub forum as there are a few who really know what’s what, and they’ll look at your pics and give you a pro rundown on it.

Thanks - yeah I actually did post over there. I'm a player, so if it sounds good it is good, but always nice to know what you're getting for you money. Asking $2650 USD.

I should also mention the serial being altered, probably stolen long ago. Also there were a few other PT numbers like T3556 for instance, which is what I found and swapped into mine. Also period correct. One way for an expert to tell is what kinds of wire colors and type ie cloth covered that can also vouch for authenticity

I should also mention the serial being altered, probably stolen long ago. Also there were a few other PT numbers like T3556 for instance, which is what I found and swapped into mine. Also period correct. One way for an expert to tell is what kinds of wire colors and type ie cloth covered that can also vouch for authenticity
Yeah that sucks but owner claims he's had it for 35 years, who knows. Levant looks wrong too, rough looking.

Thanks - yeah I actually did post over there. I'm a player, so if it sounds good it is good, but always nice to know what you're getting for you money. Asking $2650 USD.
Two guys in particular, Neikeel(Neil) and Tazin are really great at seeing every little thing that might be altered, as long as the pics are good enough

If it’s 3K or less even with some changes I’d still consider it. The transformers look ok but even if replacements as long as they are Merren/Marstran/Metro I wouldn’t worry

I didn’t see you posted the price. Unless one of those experts thinks it’s a total forgery I’d be all over that for 2650

Those are pull pots on the Volume controls, it looks like they are both bright switches. There usually wouldn't be one at all on the Normal channel. I think it if you pull the pot for the channel you're NOT using it will darken the top end for the one you are using.

Also the voltage selector doesn't have a plug so if it works as shown that could be an indication of a PT swap ...but not necessarily. Those plugs are a weak link and just hard wiring it to your voltage is not a bad thing imo.

Cool amp.

Looks like a 68 to me. Has alot of changed parts in the preamp. And the OT has been changed. Should have cloth wire covering.

If it sounds good and in this day and age that price probably isn’t too bad.

Judging by the back panel is a metal face panel and the brown/reddish circuit board that amp is a 1969 or very early 70 before they started using the creme colored boards. IMHO 1969 amps sound really really good....:2thumbsup:

Like other have said the Output transformer looks replaced and I'm not sure the Power transformer is original either. With today's market 2650 is a pretty good deal if you like the way it sounds. Looks like he has a 5000pf cap on Volume II(normal channel) on the push pull switch and a 500pf cap on volume I bright channel, it all depends on how it is wired the two channels could be swapped but I don't know why someone would do that.

The PI coupling caps have been changed out looks like .047uf or .1uf and the bright channel mustard coupling cap has been changed out. I don't think the headcab is original to that amp with eh elephant hide tolex, probably a mid 70's headbox. I can't remember when Marshall went to the elephant tolex I'm thinking like 1975-77. My 1972 SLP has smooth tolex and the amp is 100% original.

Last edited:
I just noticed it looks like the 4 screen resistors on the power tube sockets have been replaced which isn't a big deal and someone installed the 1 ohm resistors on pins 1-9 to ground on the each power tube socket so you can bias the amp using a multimeter set to millivolts which is directly translatable to milliamps.

I'm guessing he extra hole next to the speaker jacks probably was a PPIMV master volume at one time and somebody put the amp back to mostly stock. If the PT and OPT are original and even if they are not $2650 is a good deal IMHO.

Back