Effects Loop boost -10db to +4db, how??

jkkkjkhk

Ok so I've been going through a Metallica kick lately and it's got me reading Flemming's studio notes again, the one thing that has me puzzled is his "quad level" box that converts the signal in the loop from the amp to the PEQ, then back from the PEQ to the amp. According to Mesa the loop is -10db in/out while the Aphex EQF500 (and original EQF2) is +4db in/out. I'm reading a bit about people with Mark III's and earlier who have problems with the loop either clipping or greatly dropping in volume due to this mismatch in level. Excuse my ignorance but is there a product out there that does what this "quad level" box does? I own a mxr 10 band EQ which according to the manual is +14db in/out with all sliders set to zero, and I have no issues at all with this, a/b/c with the pedal on/off/ and out of the loop there's no volume jump or clipping. Would a buffer like the Ceriatone Klein-ulator achieve this? I've been trying to research this but unfortunately I can't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. :rock:

I just got an Ebtech LLS 2 for my Egnater Mod 50 per Bruce Egnater's recommendation and it works great. The passive device, no batteries/power required, turns -10 to +4 and vice versa. I got mine from Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LLS2/

Now the H9's delays aren't all distorted. Works great so far and is made in he USA. The only downside is that you need four patch cables to wire things up properly.

Back