Egnater Mods for me????

richedie

It is settled! I am going to buy an Egnater MOD50.

Can someone help me decide on modules?

For the first I want super clean, almost hi-fi. I tend to like Fender clean. I use a good bit of chorus, reverb and delay on some of my cleans.

For high gain I don't know if this is possible but in my current band I need a heavy rhythm tone that responds well to volume roll off, so for a tune with less gain I could just roll off guitar volume. For lead, I like thick, darker and smooth. Is this possible from one module without requiring an external EQ or boost?

Thanks!
Rich

How about the Bassman for clean?

Anyone hear of an SL2+?

From Egnater:

Here in our worldwide headquarters (a.k.a The Amp Lounge), we asked what would happen if we were to take the SL2 and smooth it out a bit for soloing. We darkened it up a bit, and added a touch of mid range emphasis, and created what is the perfect sound for mic’ing through a p.a. system (which is more and more common for you guys that gig regularly).

Channels A and B were taken from the acclaimed Egnater TOL amplifiers and act as great rhythm and lead channels for guys who favor a lead tone that is a little smokier.

The only module I like better than the SL2 is the COD. The SL2 is huge and sits very well in the mix! The Twin/deluxe is the shit for clean!

:|::QBB:
tubesteakfortone":3be7f said:
The only module I like better than the SL2 is the COD. The SL2 is huge and sits very well in the mix! The Twin/deluxe is the shit for clean!

I hear the Modern High Gain mod is even thicker.

here is a response to a question about MHG sl2

n my opinion, both modules can both cover similar ground more or less, but each is better at certain things. First of all, without a doubt, the MHG has more gain. Literally TONS. Its extremely tight, defined, and compressed. Channel A has more gain than Channel B of the SL2. People are going to disagree with me, but I dont think SL2 has all THAT much gain. I pretty much have to dime the gain on channel A to get my rhythm tone, then my lead tone on Channel B is about 3/4 up. Thats enough gain for me for sure, but compared to MHG, its not as thick. I think the MHG sounds thicker because its so compressed, but the SL2 sounds bigger, wider, and cuts better IMO. The MHG is just so focused and compressed, that its more aggressive, but also less 3D as a result.

MHG is more Soldano, Bogner, Diezel. SL2 is more hot rodded JCM800 (which is close to Soldano, Bogner, but those take it a whole other level like the MHG). Think of SL2 as the best boosted Marshall youve ever heard. Think Appetite for Destruction and thats it to a T.

So, for 80s metal which is better?

Scorprions = SL2
Early Crue = SL2
Crue Dr Feelgood and later = MHG
Early Dokken = SL2
The later lynch stuff where he uses SLO or Uberschall = MHG
Firehouse = Tough call, but probably slightly MHG

SL2 is definitely more hot vintage, while MHG is tight, modern, and in your face.

Hope that helps.

here is a response to a question about MHG sl2

n my opinion, both modules can both cover similar ground more or less, but each is better at certain things. First of all, without a doubt, the MHG has more gain. Literally TONS. Its extremely tight, defined, and compressed. Channel A has more gain than Channel B of the SL2. People are going to disagree with me, but I dont think SL2 has all THAT much gain. I pretty much have to dime the gain on channel A to get my rhythm tone, then my lead tone on Channel B is about 3/4 up. Thats enough gain for me for sure, but compared to MHG, its not as thick. I think the MHG sounds thicker because its so compressed, but the SL2 sounds bigger, wider, and cuts better IMO. The MHG is just so focused and compressed, that its more aggressive, but also less 3D as a result.

MHG is more Soldano, Bogner, Diezel. SL2 is more hot rodded JCM800 (which is close to Soldano, Bogner, but those take it a whole other level like the MHG). Think of SL2 as the best boosted Marshall youve ever heard. Think Appetite for Destruction and thats it to a T.

So, for 80s metal which is better?

Scorprions = SL2
Early Crue = SL2
Crue Dr Feelgood and later = MHG
Early Dokken = SL2
The later lynch stuff where he uses SLO or Uberschall = MHG
Firehouse = Tough call, but probably slightly MHG

SL2 is definitely more hot vintage, while MHG is tight, modern, and in your face.

Hope that helps.

Wow! Being quoted across forums! I feel honored.

Richie, we meet again! First Petrucci Forum, now here. Im really happy for you man. You are making a GREAT decision. At rehearsal last night my MOD 50 was KILLING me!

Anyway, as for your modules... For cleans, Ive never heard a Bassman, but the Twin/Deluxe (T/D) is beyond my wildest dreams. The Twin side is big, fat, loud and CLEAN. I use a Boss DD-20 with a little Mod Delay on that and it is haunting. Sends chills. Youd really have to drive this hard and dig in to make it break up. It'll stay clean for you. The Delxue side is hot deluxe so I run that with the gain up a bit and it works as the perfect mid-gain rock tone. I cannot recommend the T/D highly enough. As an aside, the VX is really nice too, but the clean breaks up REAL easy. Unless you get one modded, it wouldnt work for you with what you describe.

My default high gain mod right now is an SL2. I think I said it all in my post that was quoted here about how that is in relation to the MHG. Its tough because when you are talking really heavy rhythm and leads the MHG is a killer. But it wont clean up too much as you roll back the volume. Its seriously gainy and thick. That said, if you run an MHG with the T/D you can get your "rolled off" mid gain sound out of the Deluxe.

E-Rect is another option you should consider, and the more I think about it, may be the best for you. It cleans up alot more than MHG when you roll back, is plenty aggressive, and has really tight bass. Its really basically gets those iconic rectifier tones: King's X Dogman, Foo Fighters Colour and Shape, Nickelback (whether you like them or not, the tone is monsterous). The only problem youd have with E-Rect is the smooth leads. But if you run it with a BB Preamp, that problem is solved (this pedal is GOLD with the MOD 50 BTW). Dont get me wrong, you can get a great lead tone out of the E-Rect but it screams more than its smooth.

COD is great for smooth leads, but it wont do it for you for rhythms. But then again, its not really supposed to.

E-Rect is defintiely next on my list. It floored me (like almost all the mods). But I want a selectable vintage / modern mode!

Honestly, whatever you get is going to kill. Thats the nice part. Go with your gut and you'll fine. That said, if your music is real aggressive Id consider E-Rect and MHG more than SL2.

-Matt

Thanks guys! Sounds like I would like the MHG best, but I am going to play a Mesa Boogie Roadster first to see if that does it for me....I found a great deal on one and I am a big Boogie fan. Egnater is still on my top hit list.

Roadsters gain channel will be similar to E-Rect, just probably a little more stiff and buzzy. MHG is a different beast. Any Egnater clean will destroy the Roadster's. I had a Dual Rectifier once. The clean was hollow and lifeless. Its a shame you cant play a MOD 50. If you could, all of your questions would be answered!

-Matt

EWS youve been immortalized , lol ,,

actually you gave such a detailed answer i felt your post would be useful to Rich ..
***Furthermore Rich why are you not at the randall/Egg forum @ grailtone??

randall/Egg forum @ grailtone??? Never been there. I'll go...

I think the Roadster is supposed to have a MUCH better clean than the standard Duel Recs. I didn't find the gain on my old Dual Rec to be stiff and apparently the new Roadsters are better. Plus, I see em used for $1450.

If I got a MOD50...it would have to be used. I said Mesa, because it is versatile and well made...in the USA. I think some Marshall gear is now made in China? I wonder about the JVM.

richedie":8e2fc said:
randall/Egg forum @ grailtone??? Never been there. I'll go...

I think the Roadster is supposed to have a MUCH better clean than the standard Duel Recs. I didn't find the gain on my old Dual Rec to be stiff and apparently the new Roadsters are better. Plus, I see em used for $1450.

If I got a MOD50...it would have to be used. I said Mesa, because it is versatile and well made...in the USA. I think some Marshall gear is now made in China? I wonder about the JVM.

Thats fair. Ive never played a Roadster so I shouldnt automatically substitute my impressions of a Dual Rectifier Solo Head in for it. That said, I havent heard any clean in a channel swticher that sounds better than the T/D, and that includes my band mate's Bogner Shiva.

Mesa is definitely a well-made amp and they stand by their products. If you are happy with the tones you get from it and it works for you, then great. You'll save some cash and have an amp thats built well. The only potential issue is that their amps these days are SO complicated on the inside that if and when they break, they are a nightmare to service. I have heard of quite a few problems with Road Kings. You might be OK with Roadster though because it doesnt have Progressive Linkage, which is where it gets really hairy and complex.

I would personally stay away from Marshall like the plague. They are built like crap using crap components yet still cost top dollar. I think anyone who pays $1600 or whatever a JVM goes for is out of their mind, especially when something like MOD50 is $2000. Why pay almost the same amount for something built like crap, made out of crap, and by someone on an assembly line who has idea about what they are building. Yikes.

-Matt

Good Points! I was also wondering about the Mesa Stiletto. It is supposed to be Mesa Boogie's take on the Marshall tone.

EwSEthan ,

Ive got one quick question for ya .

I know you were loving the MHG with the Tung Sol 5881 and said it brought it closer to that Soldano tone .

What does it do to your SL2 voicing? ..do you notice a big diff from say an El34 ..obviously your cleans will be a lil better. but im curious if you still get that Marshall Roar

I only tried a Stiletto Version 1, but it did not impress me at all. It sounded BRIGHT and BRITTLE. I used to play a Soldano SLO so I know what bright sounds like and believe me when I tell you that the Stiletto was BRIGHT with a capital B. It also didnt have nearly the amount of gain I expected it to. It was a real disapoointment for me because I remember waiting to try out that amp for a long time (while Mesa was rumored to have kept redesigning it) and when I finally plugged in I found myself wondering "THIS took that long?!?". Supposedly the new ones are alot better, but I cant say. Andy Timmons gets great tone out of his, but if you can play like that, you can get great tone out of anything.

GTR, you know thats interesting but I havent tried it. Ever since I popped in the Tung-Sols, Ive never taken them out! Fear not, ROAR is there with 5881s. However, Im curious to hear what the EL-34s would do to the SL2, but I dont want to compromise anything with the T/D since it is absolutely PERFECT. Im going to try that this weekend, but I suspect Ill prefer the "marriage" of EL-34 and 6L6 Im getting from the 5881s.

NOTE TO SELF: Get a E-Rect to run with the T/D with 6L6s :thumbsup:

-Matt

thanks EWS,

and i had a very similar experience with the Mesa Stilletto .They look great and I wanted to love it .I found it very bright and also very very twangy ..

the bass wasnt really super tight .I had it next to the F100 head and much perferred the Fseries .I do like the single recto and MK.s though its just the new Mesa's Stilletto Ace and the express just didnt do it for me

EWSEthan":34efd said:
I only tried a Stiletto Version 1, but it did not impress me at all. It sounded BRIGHT and BRITTLE. I used to play a Soldano SLO so I know what bright sounds like and believe me when I tell you that the Stiletto was BRIGHT with a capital B. It also didnt have nearly the amount of gain I expected it to. It was a real disapoointment for me because I remember waiting to try out that amp for a long time (while Mesa was rumored to have kept redesigning it) and when I finally plugged in I found myself wondering "THIS took that long?!?". Supposedly the new ones are alot better, but I cant say. Andy Timmons gets great tone out of his, but if you can play like that, you can get great tone out of anything.

GTR, you know thats interesting but I havent tried it. Ever since I popped in the Tung-Sols, Ive never taken them out! Fear not, ROAR is there with 5881s. However, Im curious to hear what the EL-34s would do to the SL2, but I dont want to compromise anything with the T/D since it is absolutely PERFECT. Im going to try that this weekend, but I suspect Ill prefer the "marriage" of EL-34 and 6L6 Im getting from the 5881s.

NOTE TO SELF: Get a E-Rect to run with the T/D with 6L6s :thumbsup:

-Matt

Yes, there was a problem with them being too bright and brittle. It was a known issues that was resolved.

Heck, maybe I'll get a Roadster....but eventually I am going to want a Marshall tone so I'll have to cross that bridge and find a Marshally amp. I thought of the JVM but quality can be an issue. However, my friends running Marshall DSLs have never had a break down.

Man, maybe I should just find a used MOD50.

Back