Einstein plus what Diezel cab?

sombersoul

I'm currently using an Orange PCP 212 cab with my Einstein 100W (6550). I've had the cab longer than the Diezel and I used to play a Peavey 6505 through it, which was a good combination. I only got my Einstein after my last band broke up. In other words, I wasn't able to use my Einstein / Orange combo in a band context (and at band volumes) until recently. Maybe my taste has changed but I was annoyed with how the V30 Orange cab sounded. I'm not sure the darker, smoother voicing of the Einstein goes well with an already dark (and very directional!) cab. And maybe I can finally see why some people are not too fond of the nasality of the speakers.

To make a long story short: I've been considering getting a Diezel 2x12 cab, preferrably of the newer build. What would you recommend? I'm leaning towards K100s (FL) as they seem to be more tonally balanced and should project nicely in the new Einstein cabs. Or what about hemp cones? I'm looking for a noticeable improvement in sound. I'd be happy to hear suggestions. Musical style is somewhere between metal, rock and alternative. A good clean sound is naturally also important.

Thanks!

The front loaded cabs are going to be very directional, as that is the nature of a FL cab.
I have only rear loaded Diezel cabs but I have one with TT ceramic hemps and it sounds good to me with either the Schmidt or the Einstein.

I haven't heard the K-100's yet, but the hemps do not get harsh at all and sound very sweet.

I haven't used the Hempcones, but I will say the K100's in a front loader is more directed towards harder music. It's kind of a toss up for me with your description of what you play.

The hempcones i have cranked at ear bleeding levels and seriously did not get harsh. Freakin crazy...
Id say more versitile than the K100's i have. Although i dont have my K100s in a diezel. I really wanna try it though.. out of curiousity.
BTW. I HATE v30's!! ( i know i say it all the time.) They sound great in one spot, but in another they sound horribly ice picky and thin.

...Also, try the bogner 2X12 OS, or 1X12. Sounds amazing with my einstein!!

C-4":37vjov0q said:
The front loaded cabs are going to be very directional, as that is the nature of a FL cab.

I must be on a different plane of existence, I could swear - en masse - that FL's are more unidirectional (read: spatial) than RL cabs. Am I the only one that thinks this?? I had a RL4x12 and it was great in front and a few degrees left or right, but other than that, it was just this muffled dull sound. I open up my FL4x12 and it's bouncing all over the room - no lies - just wonderin' :confused:

V.

It would be interesting to hear more comments about to what extent the FL cabs are directional/3D-sounding, esp. compared to the Orange cab.

Well, maybe it's also my new Tribute Les Paul, but I'm really annoyed at the honky, nasal sound I'm getting at the moment. Or, in other words, I don't feel any synergy between the amp and the cab/speakers at the moment, although I'm not new to V30s as outlined above.

My own experience is similar to Ventura's and Rob's: The V30s can sound great at certain positions but sound muffled and congested or grating and ice-picky from others. This tendency is further aggravated by the Orange's directionality.

Anyway, I'm still interested in the K100s but with the caveat that I'm not playing metal (or, let's say, distorted) all the time. So I wonder if the Hempcones wouldn't be a better alternative. No harshness at higher volumes sounds great (although my band usually plays at low to moderate volumes).

Does the Hempcone sound more open than the V30, i.e. less congested, more even across the spectrum? And does it still deliver chunky and powerful palm mutes and a huge sound with power chords? Maybe the Hempcone is a better all-around speaker? Please enlighten me, as I have no experience with it.

Does the Hempcone sound more open than the V30, i.e. less congested, more even across the spectrum? And does it still deliver chunky and powerful palm mutes and a huge sound with power chords? Maybe the Hempcone is a better all-around speaker? Please enlighten me, as I have no experience with it.

Yes to all of the above. It kills the v30 in my opinion. same basic flavor with an even frequency spectrum, organic breakup, awesome bass handling and no icepick. the 50 watt rating is under rated I pumped 120 watts through one just to see, no problems and still sounds great!

sombersoul":jgmpmcx7 said:

Sounds like you mainly want it for Beefy Ripping rythym guitar tones..
..if thats the case, try the hempcones and i dont think you'll look back.
Best Rythym tone ive ever heard ! Just ripping! Very good for a variety of stuff. For "smooth" lead stuff though its just a little grainy for me. ..but my speakers arent broken in yet... But i dont think that will make much of a difference personally.

I also kinda think that alot (not all) of the people are biased to the GK-100s/V30's because they havent tried the hempcones yet through the diezel cabs. At the same time ive played through the GK100's (not through the diezel) and found them to be Loud, but kinda plain and lifeless. ..and im not gonna say again that i hate v30s...

Thats exactly the reason, why I did not want 4 G12K100s in my Diezel cab - they have a great bottom end, but sound lifeless to my ears alone. In the mix with 2 V30s I like them a lot better.
I would also love to try the hempcones, but its a frontloaded cab and everybody says they sound better in a rearloaded.

rear loads 2x12s for the vintage stuff and front loaded 4x12's for the heavy,,whether its diezel or other... :thumbsup:

I'm really annoyed at the honky, nasal sound I'm getting at the moment.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN.. I have an orange 4x12 and it's the cab man. FL v30s are quite a change. I don't like the einey with the orange for ripping rhythms... it just doesn't cut it at all.. I picked up a used cab with FL v30s that are over 10 yrs old (i think age makes a difference). but its a COMPLETELY different amp... The Orange still rocks for the classic rock/blues stuff, but the FL v30s absolutely rip your face off... YMMV....

something to think about is alot of pros use old v30s.

Listen to my thread about Einstein soundcheck (its on the first page still). That's FL v30s. I could give you an orange clip for comparison, but it's pointless... it sounds like honky nasal trash.

slyvren":33dzrm28 said:
I'm really annoyed at the honky, nasal sound I'm getting at the moment.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN.. I have an orange 4x12 and it's the cab man. FL v30s are quite a change. I don't like the einey with the orange for ripping rhythms... it just doesn't cut it at all.. I picked up a used cab with FL v30s that are over 10 yrs old (i think age makes a difference). but its a COMPLETELY different amp... The Orange still rocks for the classic rock/blues stuff, but the FL v30s absolutely rip your face off... YMMV....

something to think about is alot of pros use old v30s.

Listen to my thread about Einstein soundcheck (its on the first page still). That's FL v30s. I could give you an orange clip for comparison, but it's pointless... it sounds like honky nasal trash.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that the Einstein through the Orange is a less than ideal match. The other day at the rehearsal I swapped cabs with my band colleague. In fact, he's playing through one of my old TubeTown 2x12 cabs loaded with Eminence Governors. He wasn't very pleased with the tone of his Peavey Valveking head, as it was overly bright and brittle. Hooking up the Orange definitely elevated his sound to another level. The Peavey's voicing goes well with the sound characteristics of the Orange. I used to play my 6505 through that cab for good reason. Be that as it may, the Einstein suddenly came more alive with the annoying midhonk gone when I played it through the Governors. Definitely much more to my liking. This doesn't mean that I'll be now using Governors. There are other things I don't like about them, such as their cardboardy feel and sound. I'm also not sure whether the TubeTown cab can handle Diezel power. I'm still highly interested in getting a Diezel cab (or at least a cab of comparable build).

I'm still leaning towards the 4x12 FL with G12K100, simply because I'm very curious. If the K100s alone should not meet my taste, I can always go X. The only factor I cannot change is the way the drivers are loaded, so I guess I'll just have to find out whether FL cabs are for me or not.

I haven't quite decided yet whether I should go 4x12 again or not. I sold all my big cabs some years ago and went with 2x12 from that point onwards. However, sometimes I miss the feeling of a 4x12, and the difference in size isn't enormous (esp. if you have oversized 2x12 cabs). I haven't quite ruled out the possiblity yet of getting another 2x12 cab for my Einstein, such as the Diezel 2x12 FL or RL or even the Bogner 2x12 OS (which must be fantastic in its own right).

Are the Diezel 2x12 cabs (RL and FL) also of the new build quality? I know that Duesentrieb had a 2x12 FL and RL setup at one point.

I currently use a Mesa 2x12 with V30s with my Einstein. With the whole talk surrounding the G12K-100 I decided that I just had to hear it myself, so I ordered a couple of them. Should be here in a few days, and I'll post the results. Hopefully it will help someone make a more documented decision :)

dass101":3xefbpsi said:
I currently use a Mesa 2x12 with V30s with my Einstein. With the whole talk surrounding the G12K-100 I decided that I just had to hear it myself, so I ordered a couple of them. Should be here in a few days, and I'll post the results. Hopefully it will help someone make a more documented decision :)

How is the Mesa with the Einstein? Isn't that a rather dark sounding cab in its own right?
I also thought about just swapping speakers, but then I keep reading that the K100s are not recommended in rearloaded cabs due to possible phasing issues. On the other hand, Orange themselves offer a K100 4x12 cab, which I assume is rearloaded as well. Well, in reality, any combination that works for oneself is good. ;) Be sure to keep us updated!

By the way, here are two more recent YouTube videos that feature a G12K100 FL cab with a VH-4 head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLW1l_p1OI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RAlYR3m ... re=channel

sombersoul":39lblws9 said:
I also thought about just swapping speakers, but then I keep reading that the K100s are not recommended in rearloaded cabs due to possible phasing issues.

Really..? Who said that? Anyone wanna chime in on this..? Cause im thinking about paying someone to do this for me in a few days.

Rob Tahan":1qpsh6gv said:
sombersoul":1qpsh6gv said:
I also thought about just swapping speakers, but then I keep reading that the K100s are not recommended in rearloaded cabs due to possible phasing issues.

Really..? Who said that? Anyone wanna chime in on this..? Cause im thinking about paying someone to do this for me in a few days.

A quick Google search revealed this link at least: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-a ... akers.html

I have no idea if this is true. I just wanted to share what I have read. And wasn't it Peter S. himself who said that the G12K100s are less than optimal in rearloaded cabs?

Well, I didn't mean to unnecessarily concern you in any way. :)

From what I understand the G12Ks aren't less then ideal in RL cabs, it's just that they shine in FL ones :)
Regarding phase issues, I don't believe that there is any problem, but I guess every cab emphasies some frequencies, I wouldn't be surprised if any particular speaker wasn't a good match for some particular cab.

sombersoul":359n2alo said:
How is the Mesa with the Einstein? Isn't that a rather dark sounding cab in its own right?

I definitely would't call the Mesa 2x12 Recto cab a dark one, it is actually quite bright and focused in the upper registry, although a bit boomy. Although a generaly like how V30's sound, alone and in a band context, I kinda grew tired of the infamous high mid, and I decided that it's time to try something else. I will most likely mix the V30 with the G12K and see what happens. Fortunately I have another 8ohm V30, I just don't understand why Celestion doesn't offer the G12K in 16ohm??

warplanegrey":3ss49che said:
I just picked up a Marshall MF400A cab. It sounds great with my Einstein.

Sounds promising! How does it compare to other cabs / previous cabs you've owned?

I have a Bogner 4x12 loaded with V30's and G12H30's (70th Anniversary edition) and while it sounds absolutely incredible with my Ecstasy 101b, it didn't sound as mind blowing with my Einstein. It was kind of harsh, actually. I tried my Einstein through my other guitarist's Orange PPC412, and it was pretty good, although kind of muddy.

The MF400 is smooth, balanced and yeah, just overall great with the Einstein

Back