EL84 amp owners: have you tried the Dr Z/Trainwreck 6n14n?

N

Nigel

I’ve replaced the JJ’s in my Orange Brent Hinds with these and they are amazing!

The -K variant has the same tone as the non-suffix standard, but the EB/EV is reported to not have the same mojo.

Anyone else note the glory of these Russian gems?

Any Friedman users?

I have a few extra sets if anyone wants to trade/experiment. I almost want to give them away so other RT’ers can experience the joy of their tone.
7680AC60-DEFC-4F75-AE17-1A4AA999A669.jpeg

I’ve been eyeballing those, as I need something for my Mesa DC-3. I put a new set of JJ’s in it back around Christmas, and they took a shit within 2 months. I’m currently running some killer NOS 6BQ5’s in it, but I’d rather save those for a different amp.

And I’d also love to hear from somebody how they sound in a Friedman, since I just got a JJ Jr.

I’ve been using the 6P14P for likely close to a decade. They are excellent tubes. The only variant I didn’t like was the military version. I bought a bunch for like $35 a matched quad from a source in Moldova. They last a long time as well. I’m still on my first pair in my JCA20.
These blow away the JJ and Chinese versions. I like them more than Europe/USA NOS versions.

I recently built an amp based on the Dr Z Wreck, currently loaded with EH El84's. I would like to try a quad of those, if you want to sell a quad let me know.

I recently built an amp based on the Dr Z Wreck, currently loaded with EH El84's. I would like to try a quad of those, if you want to sell a quad let me know.
Just PM me and pay the shipping and they're yours. Happy Easter!

These things are so cheap, so long lasting, so available and so much better than JJ's I'm surprised that Dave doesn't ship them in his amps. You can get them on eBay for like $1 ea!

I’ve replaced the JJ’s in my Orange Brent Hinds with these and they are amazing!

The -K variant has the same tone as the non-suffix standard, but the EB/EV is reported to not have the same mojo.

Anyone else note the glory of these Russian gems?

Any Friedman users?

I have a few extra sets if anyone wants to trade/experiment. I almost want to give them away so other RT’ers can experience the joy of their tone.
View attachment 75192
I am due for power tubes in my OR15 I will have to check them out. Cool!

I am due for power tubes in my OR15 I will have to check them out. Cool!
Make sure your bias resistor is 100 ohm for full-tilt boogie, and consider adding a dpdt switch for the 7/15w to add another resistor in parallel to lower the total resistance for the lower B+. 150 ohm is what my BH’s spec was, and it got so much jucier with the mod. These Russian valves will take it for years.

Cool for $30 bucks for 2 sets Im down to give them a shot

I have a Mesa Maverick and Blues Angle that will be seeing them.
Have you been to eBay? They’re literally around a dollar a piece.

I couldn't find any that cheap. But its for 8 marched tubes shipped from Eastern Europe. Still way cheaper then any set of el84.

I couldn't find any that cheap. But its for 8 marched tubes shipped from Eastern Europe. Still way cheaper then any set of el84.
Matching is overrated IMHO. If you play funk, metal or are just into odd-order harmonics from symmetrical clipping, go for it: hard bass, strident highs. I much prefer some degree of mismatch. Learned anout this from Terry Kilgore AKA Tube Tramp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only tried (and love) the -EV's. How do these compare?
Lots of folks, including Dr. Z and Ken Fischer preferred the non-suffix for its superior tone, compared to the -ev/eb variants. That said, Z stated the -K sounds the same as the plain, and that is my experience.

I just watched some of this for the first time. I could have told these guys this same information back in like 2010. Seriously, I watching them talk about the getters on different versions and I knew what they were going to say before they said it. What's funny is on FB I was discussing these tubes in like 2017ish and said how much better they are than the JJ EL84 and you'd have thought I just insulted their mothers. I ended up leaving the page due to their ignorance.

Back