Elmwood M-90 vs Bogner XTC

Elwood M-90 vs Bogner XTC

• M-90

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • XTC

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

gbsmusic

Just opinion, I know the XTC is 3 channel so it wins as far as versatile goes but overall tone for VH and 80's type tones and good cleans.

Had both the 101b and the classic along wiith a M90..........all are great. I'd probably take the M90 over a 101b but the XTC Classic wins for me hands down. Add a little extra gain (easy mod) and it becomes super versatile.

Never played an XTC but I sure loved my M90!! It is actually quite versatile, with boosts on each channel especially the Clean channel. It covers a ton of ground!

The XTC is one of my all time favorites and wins by a mile for me. I was very disappointed with the Elmwood I played. It was fuzzy and harsh and lacked dynamics no matter how loud I had it. Even tried it through a few different cabs. Maybe it was in need of a tube change or something? :dunno:

glassjaw7":1mstu7xr said:
I was very disappointed with the Elmwood I played. It was fuzzy and harsh and lacked dynamics no matter how loud I had it. Even tried it through a few different cabs. Maybe it was in need of a tube change or something? :dunno:
+1 on this.
I had the M90 for about 3 days then gave it's walking papers........ :LOL: :LOL:

It was OK......nothing great.
Never played an XTC before.

Played an XTC 101b and the Elmwood Modena 90 for about 2-3 years ago. I preferred the XTC and the Shiva a lot.

I have owned both, and prefer the XTC. For me the best sound on the M90 was channel 1 with the boost on, great tone. Channel 2 sounds good but to me is way too compressed.

As for an all around amp it's hard to beat the XTC. I now play a PT100, don't think I would swap the PT100 for an XTC but it would be nice to have both.

Chuck

Man you really gotta try these amps before you'll know. The M90 was pretty cool but I just couldn't quite gel with it. The XTC was really cool but a little to dark for me.

Mood Bender":2ofy6f8r said:
glassjaw7":2ofy6f8r said:
Mood Bender":2ofy6f8r said:
glassjaw7":2ofy6f8r said:
I was very disappointed with the Elmwood I played.
M90?
Yes.
The reason I asked is my M90 doesn't fit any of your descriptions...
That's a good thing then. :yes: Maybe it needed a tube change or maybe it just wasn't for me. I hear the same tone in some clips though, and that's what makes me think I just don't like the voicing.

In fact, I've never heard a clip that has made me say "wow"!

Seitz333":5yutu5w0 said:
I have owned both, and prefer the XTC. For me the best sound on the M90 was channel 1 with the boost on, great tone. Channel 2 sounds good but to me is way too compressed.

As for an all around amp it's hard to beat the XTC. I now play a PT100, don't think I would swap the PT100 for an XTC but it would be nice to have both.

Chuck

Dead on about channel 1 boosted. I LOVED that on both the 60 and 90.

I'd take the XTC for gainier stuff.

zee1usa":2qd974oe said:
Elmwood is killer , but the XTC wins!

My other guitar player in last band had an M60 and we both agreed with had more character than the M90 by a long shot, more dynamics and much less harshness.

I prefer the XTC however overall, most of the 101Bs sound great but as mentioned are a bit dark. The 20th Anniv remedies this IMHO as it has a brightness you can get out of it the other XTC's lack. But still has that wonderful blue channel and a really usable red channel. The Elmwood and XTC both are on par for the same type of cleans IMHO.

To the poster who mentioned the PT100, that amps clean channel alone is worth the money to me. :LOL: :LOL:

Back