ENAD! 1988 Mesa Mark III++ Coliseum

not that she won’t scream on her own.

but when i heard zachman’s stereo III spx/2290 rig for the first time driven by his rhoads, it was like randy on roids playing through sykes whitesnake rig. crazy grind and pegged dirtbike sustain!

Dude. Blend it with old Marshall
I’ve got a 3 stage gain design in the enmity mod that would provide the clarity in the mids that would work great with the mark. I’m new to recording so once I perfect dual mono recording then I’ll record true stereo and quad track with overlays from a Royer 121.

not that she won’t scream on her own.

but when i heard zachman’s stereo III spx/2290 rig for the first time driven by his rhoads, it was like randy on roids playing through sykes whitesnake rig. crazy grind and pegged dirtbike sustain!
I remember his mark III. One of his live sessions the FOH wasn’t setup right and all you heard was thin gain. I imagine this amp does wonders for recording studio work but live would have problems cutting on its own. Not that it doesn’t have the horsepower to push through whatever it wants at 180W lol

God I can only imagine playing one-much less two of them in stereo. Actually I can't. I'll be honest, if both these popped up after I first retired I would have bought both of them. Yes I'm happy for you and jealous as fuck....lol....
I know you were eying it hard. I’d been looking for one for a long time and once I had the boss’ approval I didn’t mess around. Yeah it’s a wad of cash but I honestly couldn’t remember the last time I’d seen a fully gone through mark IIIC for sale.

Beyond Black has first dibs if I ever decide to sell because he was reluctant to actually see it go. I reassured him it’s in good hands and not sitting in a teenagers bedroom being played on 0.1 through a 1x6. If Beyond Black doesn’t want it at that point I’ll be sure to reach out 👍

Just an amazing score on an amazing amp. Stoked with envy for you brother!!!
Thanks for the kind words brother I really appreciate it. The longer it sat in the classifieds the more I realized either someone’s going to figure out what it is or Beyond Black will just yank the ad and keep it.

The ultimate Sykes amp that with the adjustment of a single slider can pull off Metallica just as easily :rock:

Thanks for the kind words brother I really appreciate it. The longer it sat in the classifieds the more I realized either someone’s going to figure out what it is or Beyond Black will just yank the ad and keep it.

The ultimate Sykes amp that with the adjustment of a single slider can pull off Metallica just as easily :rock:
It was getting very close to the latter! Glad it was you that got it, it’ll get put to good use.🤘

Congrats!

Coliseums can alter the weather. I still say most of my hearing loss is due to the Coli through 2 cabs; slaved to a S400 out to 2 more cabs. I could see the windows vibrate.

I remember his mark III. One of his live sessions the FOH wasn’t setup right and all you heard was thin gain. I imagine this amp does wonders for recording studio work but live would have problems cutting on its own. Not that it doesn’t have the horsepower to push through whatever it wants at 180W lol
if you ever have the chance, running it with 2 4x12s will put hair on your thumbs, give you unlimited confidence with women, and force you to pillage small rural townships.

I’ll send you my Metallica settings . For justice

Not really man, I've owned a III and a IV now and i've never had problems being heard in a band context, even against some Marshall's. It's all in how you dial them in. You want the 750hz as high as you can stand it, plus the next two slider pretty high too, you're 80hz and 240 can be dropped a bit cause they muddy the sound if they're set too high

If you dial it in in the bedroom and bring those settings to band practice you might be in trouble though, The conventional deep V doesn't wok too well live. You can use a V setting, but make it more shallow and put more emphasis on the top end and presence to give it some slice.

One thing to add. Try an old Mullard in the lead channel (I think) slot if you have any. Adds a nice level of cut and aggression while keeping low end flub out or high end ice pick.

One thing to add. Try an old Mullard in the lead channel (I think) slot if you have any. Adds a nice level of cut and aggression while keeping low end flub out or high end ice pick.
That would be V3 right? the lead drive slot? Also, I think if someone wants better clarity a tung sol 12ax7 works great in V1 and V3.

That would be V3 right? the lead drive slot? Also, I think if someone wants better clarity a tung sol 12ax7 works great in V1 and V3.
I misspoke on that one, meant to say v1. From what I gather the three first tubes have an influence on the lead channel.

Where do I get the info for what tube slot goes to what channel and where the slots are on the chassis?

Where do I get the info for what tube slot goes to what channel and where the slots are on the chassis?
Pulled from another forum but…
v1 r1 and lead
v2 r2 and lead
v3 lead and loop
v4 reverb
v5 pi

Never found a chart from mesa. V1 is the tube socket with a shield mount, also the board will state which tube is what. Not sure if the coli’s layout differs from traditional short heads but they should be pretty similar.

ACA58A16-0998-4DE4-A7B3-CE8EAB19BBDC.jpeg

5402E9A0-4F0E-4A6D-9986-7A33DD7ED36B.jpeg

amazingly,
when i scored my III blue last year it came with all of the paperwork and the rhythm 2 and lead footswitches🤙🏽
unless you’re a 3yr old japanese girl with dainty fingers, replacing V1 from the back of the amp can be a bit of a task. i had to peel the special insulation off of the select low noise boogie 12AX7 to get it to seat in the tube slot and clumsily fish it in there blind with my index and middle finger cigarette style. best done with head shell off!

Back