engl 570 vs engl 580 help me choose

sonic

Hi.
i am ready to buy an engl preamp, as i generally prefer preamps and power amps than heads.
i cant seem to understand if there is any difference amongst those 2 preamps.
the price is different but is there any difference in sound?
Please anyone who has experience upon this matter help me choose.
thnx alot
constantine

I have owned both and sold both.
The biggest difference is that the 580 is fully programmable via computer and MIDI.
They do have slightly different voicings, but not night and day.
To me the 570 is a bit meaner sounding and the 580 has a drop more of a vintage vibe to it.
Both can do brutal sounds and great cleans.
I've just found all Engl gear to fall short on Mid Gain tones overall.
Just very sterile sounding to my ears.
You have to love the Engl tone on either one.
I found out that I didn't at all even after trying both with many many power amps, neither sounded very amp like to me.
There are many preamps out there I prefer tone wise but YMMV

Thnk you for your honest reply.
Engl were never my favorite amps, thought i understand the meaning to their existence.
I will buy this amp for my professional recording studio amongst another 10 amps.
For power amp, i am planning for a mesa 100/100, a brunetti silver bullet ( 60/60 el34),
a vht, and the Herbert's power amp stage.

I have also found that i totally prefer rack sound which is generally more sterile and clean than the amp sound.
I believe rack sound stands better inside a mix.
As for the incapability of the engl in the mid range, there are other amps to be combined with, so as to achieve the desire modernity
that an engl can give.
I have to say i find the silver engl more attractive thus i will go for it i think. Thought i have found for 900$ a used 570 which is interesting.
Anything anyone has to add about those preamps I am all ears.
thnx
constantine

Recently picked up an e-570 and a fryette 2902. I disagree about it not doing mid gain tones. I was surprised at how many useable sounds are in this box. The crunch channel is one of the most versatile channels i've found on any pre. Obviously, most guys by this for channel's 3/4. Me being one of them. Haven't tried the 580, but that's alot of coin for added midi capability you probably won't need in a studio. I've heard others claim 570 edges out the 580 for heavey stuff.

I agree about how versatile the crunch channel is, I was very surprised and I love the clean. I never really use channel 4 but use 3 I just have a lot of competition for that channel with a Bogner Fish and Mark V but it is still it's own flavor.
I use the engl poweramp as well, I run the Bogner through it, but I'm really not into that combo

sonic":6ed6pgu7 said:
I have also found that i totally prefer rack sound which is generally more sterile and clean than the amp sound.
I believe rack sound stands better inside a mix.

Not sure I understand that? :confused:

I'd go for the 570, the other one is overkill. Hell, I enjoyed the 530 :rock:

Back