Engl E670FE announced

I think the ‘Tubedriver’ channel is new. I don’t remember the original having reverb, but it’s been a while. Hopefully the noise gate is a new design, the old one was weak sauce. I might have been interested if they would have gone with KT88/6550’s.

I think the ‘Tubedriver’ channel is new. I don’t remember the original having reverb, but it’s been a while. Hopefully the noise gate is a new design, the old one was weak sauce. I might have been interested if they would have gone with KT88/6550’s.
Tubedriver isn’t new

I may have to try it just to know, but if it’s just another artificial and somewhat underwater sounding amp like the regular SE and most of their other amps than it’ll be a quick pass for me

I may have to try it just to know, but if it’s just another artificial and somewhat underwater sounding amp like the regular SE and most of their other amps than it’ll be a quick pass for me
Someone who has tried them said it sounds in the ballpark of the original- I think the reality is I just don’t like engls

Someone who has tried them said it sounds in the ballpark of the original- I think the reality is I just don’t like engls
That’s what to be expected. There sadly just doesn’t seem to be much recent made gear that really delivers in being something special/keeper worthy. It’s cool though to see a lot of new stuff come out this year and I still try them when I can

That’s what to be expected. There sadly just doesn’t seem to be much recent made gear that really delivers in being something special/keeper worthy. It’s cool though to see a lot of new stuff come out this year and I still try them when I can
Lots of new stuff this year
Uber ultra
Pandora
Carstens Empire
Mesa Mk7
engl se fe
Driftwood purple nightmare Signature
Redseven Custom
Wizard Hell Razor

And more expected some time this year or next
New Fryette amp
Mezzabarba Apocalypse
Omega Marshall voiced amp
Omega Mick Thompson

Right now I’d say we are at 75% being good- although a lot of it is personal preference

Lots of new stuff this year
Uber ultra
Pandora
Carstens Empire
Mesa Mk7
engl se fe
Driftwood purple nightmare Signature
Redseven Custom
Wizard Hell Razor

And more expected some time this year or next
New Fryette amp
Mezzabarba Apocalypse
Omega Marshall voiced amp
Omega Mick Thompson

Right now I’d say we are at 75% being good- although a lot of it is personal preference
Yes I agree. I guess what I really meant was at this point I I just wanna cut the crap and really only care about amps that can be something worthwhile vs what I think are the best I’ve heard so far like a IIC+, Dino, Rev C, OG Uberschall, ‘90’s Blueface VH4, Hermansson, a great modded vintage Marshall, etc. Basically, I don’t care about amps that sound “pretty good” even if functionally they are excellent. It’s a big ask, but it’s what I care about

I have an Uber Ultra and MLC Silenoz on order and really wanna try a Hell Razor as Wizard seems to be one of the few non-vintage amps that imo actually are in the great category. The MK7 imho was a big let down vs my iic+. I was very underwhelmed with the Driftwood I had. Carstens I haven’t tried, but could be interesting. Haven’t been impressed with any of the Omegas or Fryette’s I’ve owned and tried. Too sterile and bland tonally for me

Had a few months ago the new Friedman JEL20 and Orange OR30 and returned both because they were just “pretty good”

Last edited:
Yes I agree. I guess what I really meant was at this point I I just wanna cut the crap and really only care about amps that can be something worthwhile vs what I think are the best I’ve heard so far like a IIC+, Dino, Rev C, OG Uberschall, ‘90’s Blueface VH4, Hermansson, a great modded vintage Marshall, etc. Basically, I don’t care about amps that sound “pretty good” even if functionally they are excellent. It’s a big ask, but it’s what I care about

I have an Uber Ultra and MLC Silenoz on order and really wanna try a Hell Razor as Wizard seems to be one of the few non-vintage amps that imo actually are in the great category. The MK7 imho was a big let down vs my iic+. I was very underwhelmed with the Driftwood I had. Carstens I haven’t tried, but could be interesting. Haven’t been impressed with any of the Omegas or Fryette’s I’ve owned and tried. Too sterile and bland tonally for me

Had a few months ago the new Friedman JEL20 and Orange OR30 and returned both because they were just “pretty good”
Oh I agree- right now the only “great” amps I have are the hell razor and MI megalith Beta- the ultralead was very good but Wizard was better- I would love a 2c+ but I’m way too late to the game for those. Gower Killer Kali and Hermansson are the 2 things I have left that I expect to be in that top tier and under like 5k

Oh I agree- right now the only “great” amps I have are the hell razor and MI megalith Beta- the ultralead was very good but Wizard was better- I would love a 2c+ but I’m way too late to the game for those. Gower Killer Kali and Hermansson are the 2 things I have left that I expect to be in that top tier and under like 5k
I’ve got a megalith beta too and it’s very cool. Agreed on the Ultralead and why I sold mine too. The wizards I had were just better to me at where those amps excelled. I had a Gower Killer Kali++ and Rockmonster. They were pretty good, but I felt the Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time and a few others were better at that sound they had

You’re not too far away from me I believe. You can try my iic+, Hermansson and others in the future if you’d like. For me my favorite metal amps have been the Rev C Recto, IIC+, OG Uberschall, Hermansson’s, Dino, and ‘90’s Blueface. Maybe I’d put my Beta and Wizard’s I’ve had right after, but again personal preference and clearly killer amps too. I love my ‘89 SLO too, but I wouldn’t really choose it for metal other than old school stuff

I’ve got a megalith beta too and it’s very cool. Agreed on the Ultralead and why I sold mine too. The wizards I had were just better to me at where those amps excelled. I had a Gower Killer Kali++ and Rockmonster. They were pretty good, but I felt the Cameron modded Marshall’s I had at the time and a few others were better at that sound they had

You’re not too far away from me I believe. You can try my iic+, Hermansson and others in the future if you’d like. For me my favorite metal amps have been the Rev C Recto, IIC+, OG Uberschall, Hermansson’s, Dino, and ‘90’s Blueface. Maybe I’d put my Beta and Wizard’s I’ve had right after, but again personal preference and clearly killer amps too. I love my ‘89 SLO too, but I wouldn’t really choose it for metal other than old school stuff
Ooh where do you live- feel free to dm

I recently finally got to try a Savage MKII and was very underwhelmed with it. I am just not an ENGL guy at all. Its fascinating how our ears develop and mature over time. I used to think the original Savage was a monster and its just so brash and hollow sounding versus other high gainers. Not to mention just about every ENGL I've played with in a band gets buried and lost even with a mid boost of some sort.

I recently finally got to try a Savage MKII and was very underwhelmed with it. I am just not an ENGL guy at all. Its fascinating how our ears develop and mature over time. I used to think the original Savage was a monster and its just so brash and hollow sounding versus other high gainers. Not to mention just about every ENGL I've played with in a band gets buried and lost even with a mid boost of some sort.
Agreed to all of this- I’ve heard the se is less compressed

They are, especially the 6L6 version. They sound amazing on their own in the room until you put it up against a bandmates amp that cost a fraction (JCM2000DSL, 5150). Yeah...that was me LOL
Lmao there’s a reason I sold my savage super quickly haha

Agreed to all of this- I’ve heard the se is less compressed
Compared to a MKI Savage? Nuh-uh.

I sold my SE EL34 for that reason...it was too compressed. Sure, it sounded punchy and brutal, but it lacked that pissed off Marshall on steroids raw kerrang that I love in my Savage 60.
Originally I sold my 1st Savage 60 to fund my Invader; the Invader has (almost) all the functionality I look for in an amp and some of it was missing in the Savage. Mainly, footswitchable gain boosts and fx-loop.
But after 10 year years, the Savage 60 itch returned hard, since the Invader can sound too polished, smooth.
And the stories about Engls being buried in a mix...that's typically the Powerball MKI. That thing was horrendously scooped/notched and clinical sounding.
The Invader (and the Raider) are maybe the least typical Engl-sounding Engls...

Back