Engl Inferno?

guitarxtc

I don't see any reviews,NAD or talking on forums about Engl Inferno,is simplified Morse sig,Poreball 2,SE el34 or something else?
Did someone actually tried Inferno in person?

I had the Inferno. That and the SE EL34 are the 2 best amps in Engl’s line up imo. I remember it being kinda like a much better version of the Fireball 100 with maybe more midrange presence, better for leads and also better cleans. Nice amp. Like all Engl’s it still to some degree had that inorganic/synthetic sound, but probably still one of the better high gain amps currently being made, especially for the price. Was always puzzling to me why it got so little attention. Maybe guys were turned off by it being a Marty Friedman signature amp or not enough other guys used it or made clips of it

When I saw Marty live on the Inferno tour he was using these (I think?)

It sounded fucking amazing and was one of the loudest shows I can remember seeing :LOL:

Based on that - WOULD

@braintheory Based on the functions/knob lay-out, I would think it would be a tweaked Retro, compared to a Fireball?

engl-e766-marty-friedman-inferno-signature-1663159.jpg

engl-e762-retro-tube-50.jpg

@braintheory Based on the functions/knob lay-out, I would think it would be a tweaked Retro, compared to a Fireball?

engl-e766-marty-friedman-inferno-signature-1663159.jpg

engl-e762-retro-tube-50.jpg
It’s admittedly been almost a decade since I last tried the Retro, but I remember the Retro sounding a lot smoother and more polite. The Inferno is growly and aggressive. Either way it’s a cool amp and I think any Engl fan should probably try one out

I had the Inferno. That and the SE EL34 are the 2 best amps in Engl’s line up imo. I remember it being kinda like a much better version of the Fireball 100 with maybe more midrange presence, better for leads and also better cleans. Nice amp. Like all Engl’s it still to some degree had that inorganic/synthetic sound, but probably still one of the better high gain amps currently being made, especially for the price. Was always puzzling to me why it got so little attention. Maybe guys were turned off by it being a Marty Friedman signature amp or not enough other guys used it or made clips of it
I agree that SE el34 is hands down the best sounding Engl,but was more with my technician repairing it than with me :(

I agree that SE el34 is hands down the best sounding Engl,but was more with my technician repairing it than with me :(
Yeah the SE EL34 was my overall favorite Engl. I’ve heard others also complain about them needing repair, but mine was totally fine when I had it, but I never played it outside of my house and didn’t own it that long technically

So far my favorite Engls were Savage SE and Savage 120. I own them both. About 2 years ago I bought Morse, just for fun, to test it, because I was lucky to buy it cheap. Great amp, really. Unbelievable voicing options. Just this amp is kind of polite and refined and as I mostly play thrash, I had not that much use for it. However I wanted to keep it. Until I found second hand, but unused Inferno. I sold Morse and again just for curiosity, I bought Inferno. With intention to play it a bit and let it go.

Well, I was really surprised by this amp. It is smooth and aggressive in a balanced way. It really has that Morse purr and growl in it's fundamental. On some settings there is a bit of similarity to Powerball II (I play one on a weekly basis, thus can compare). Inferno sounds really well on pretty any setting, wherever you dial knobs. Just I don't like gain over 12 on a boosted lead channel, then it starts to be fizzy and clarity disappears. Not sure about similarity to Marshalls. Owned 2203KK and played DSL100 often, they are IMHO quite different. Of course you can dial Inferno so that it has something marshallesque in tone. But it's Engl, roots are there.

I believe, it is possible to play any style with this amp. It's simply great. Now I really have doubts, whether to sell it, or sell one of my Savages. Probably one of Savages will have to go, as they are quite similar and Inferno is different.

If I have to choose between Morse and Inferno, I would vote for Inferno. But that's just because I generally use one sound and play thrash. If I have to be more flexible during gig, I would choose Morse, for it's switchable possibilities and complete MIDI control.

I have one and it's a monster of an amp. With my ESP M-II loaded with BK aftermath pickups, it's the sound in my head.

It is definitely a revoiced Retro 100. The back panel gives it away.

Here is mine

jqXYrT5.jpeg
What is the source of your information about Revoiced retro 100? I believe soundwise it's pretty different than Retro and even Engl guys confirm that it's Retro only mechanically. There is a interview with them on YT, How did ENGL become a HIGH GAIN legend? (with Engl CEO Jürgen Gimpel), at 12:20 they talk about Inferno a little bit.

What is the source of your information about Revoiced retro 100? I believe soundwise it's pretty different than Retro and even Engl guys confirm that it's Retro only mechanically. There is a interview with them on YT, How did ENGL become a HIGH GAIN legend? (with Engl CEO Jürgen Gimpel), at 12:20 they talk about Inferno a little bit.

Yeah I’ve had an Inferno and tried a Retro. They sound completely different. The Inferno is a far superior sounding amp imo. The Inferno and SE EL34 were the 2 best sounding Engl’s to me

Yeah I’ve had an Inferno and tried a Retro. They sound completely different. The Inferno is a far superior sounding amp imo. The Inferno and SE EL34 were the 2 best sounding Engl’s to me

Never had the opportunity to try Special Edition. About 1 year ago I found one for sale at 1.000 Euros price tag, but there was someone few hours faster than me :). But the day will come, I hope.

All I know is the Inferno is captured on the Quad Cortex and it slays there. Would LOVE to try the actual amp.

It really is a great amp. It is somehow balanced, aggressive yet mellow roaring beast :). And it is easy to dial-in, or I would say, it is not easy to dial-in a bad tone. When I play Inferno, I think, that's the best Engl. When I play Savage, I think, that's the best Engl. And they are so different :)

I have one and it's a monster of an amp. With my ESP M-II loaded with BK aftermath pickups, it's the sound in my head.

It is definitely a revoiced Retro 100. The back panel gives it away.

Here is mine

jqXYrT5.jpeg
How do you like that E-ll? I've always had my eyes on that one. It's so beautiful.

The back panel of my Inferno tells the tale.

FVanLbN.jpg

Now, I'm sure it's been revoiced with different EQ points possibly a change in the gain structure but it's basically a highly tweaked retro 100.

Same control layout, Probably identical power amp stage with some changes to the preamp to make it more aggressive.

Last edited:
It really is a great amp. It is somehow balanced, aggressive yet mellow roaring beast :). And it is easy to dial-in, or I would say, it is not easy to dial-in a bad tone. When I play Inferno, I think, that's the best Engl. When I play Savage, I think, that's the best Engl. And they are so different :)
Very very different. Both excellent though.

How do you like that E-ll? I've always had my eyes on that one. It's so beautiful.
I love it. I'm a big ESP Japan fan anyway and the only reason I know about the Inferno is that I went to try out this exact guitar at my local dealer and he had the Inferno. I really liked the hardtail bridge, the pickups selection etc, on paper. So I tried out the ESP through the Inferno and fell in love with the tone of the 2 together. It was literally the sound I had been looking for for years.

Back