Engl Inferno?

The back panel of my Inferno tells the tale.

FVanLbN.jpg

Now, I'm sure it's been revoiced with different EQ points possibly a change in the gain structure but it's basically a highly tweaked retro 100.

Same control layout, Probably identical power amp stage with some changes to the preamp to make it more aggressive.

I believe, that's just to save costs for a chassis. They use the same chassis for both amps. So it says just about model number for a particular amp.

Engl seems to try to save on products, or let say 'optimize'. I was quite upset when received Inferno and saw those cheap plastic chrome-like chicken head knobs. They are so poorly made, that the plastic mold rest under the knob scratched description and a bit of color on the front panel.

Wrote to Engl, why they use such a cheap sh*t on such a great amp, they replied 'maybe the charge was not that good, we will send you a few new Knobs' :)

aIMG_20200918_082100390_HDR.jpg

I'm not sure about that, The only other Engls I have seen that share like this are the SE and Blackmore. And the SE is definitely based off the Blackmore.

I'm not sure about that, The only other Engls I have seen that share like this are the SE and Blackmore. And the SE is definitely based off the Blackmore.

Really don't want to argue here. Engl guys say something different and probably they have more information about their products, then anybody else ;). Just have a look at the video posted on the previous page.

So far my favorite Engls were Savage SE and Savage 120. I own them both. About 2 years ago I bought Morse, just for fun, to test it, because I was lucky to buy it cheap. Great amp, really. Unbelievable voicing options. Just this amp is kind of polite and refined and as I mostly play thrash, I had not that much use for it. However I wanted to keep it. Until I found second hand, but unused Inferno. I sold Morse and again just for curiosity, I bought Inferno. With intention to play it a bit and let it go.

Well, I was really surprised by this amp. It is smooth and aggressive in a balanced way. It really has that Morse purr and growl in it's fundamental. On some settings there is a bit of similarity to Powerball II (I play one on a weekly basis, thus can compare). Inferno sounds really well on pretty any setting, wherever you dial knobs. Just I don't like gain over 12 on a boosted lead channel, then it starts to be fizzy and clarity disappears. Not sure about similarity to Marshalls. Owned 2203KK and played DSL100 often, they are IMHO quite different. Of course you can dial Inferno so that it has something marshallesque in tone. But it's Engl, roots are there.

I believe, it is possible to play any style with this amp. It's simply great. Now I really have doubts, whether to sell it, or sell one of my Savages. Probably one of Savages will have to go, as they are quite similar and Inferno is different.

If I have to choose between Morse and Inferno, I would vote for Inferno. But that's just because I generally use one sound and play thrash. If I have to be more flexible during gig, I would choose Morse, for it's switchable possibilities and complete MIDI control.

Curious if you still have the Inferno and hoping you might be able to give a little more insight on comparison to the Steve Morse.

I have been thinking about getting a new amp since I rearranged my room and made some space for another head, but not sure what I wanted. I dismissed the Inferno at first not finding much on it then having read someone describe it as generic sounding. Maybe they played it for 5 minutes at GC as this thread paints a different picture. Your description specifically is making me take another hard look at it.

I've had my Steve Morse for about a year now & I love it, especially the mid matrix. It's probably my most favorite amp I've played/owned so far. I'm able to cover pretty much everything up to a point; but like you, I find it not quite aggressive enough when I want to get into the thrash metal or higher area. Where you say it's aggressive yet balanced and has the growl of the Steve Morse has me really thinking this might be exactly what I want to go for. I also like where you describe being able to dial it to something marshallesque, but it has it's own ENGL tone. I don't need another Marshall wannabe.

Since you've own(ed) and spent a decent time with both the Inferno & Steve Morse could you elaborate on their similarities and differences? Does the Inferno have any organic feel to it? Or is it super focused like a Savage? Would it be fair to say the the Inferno somewhat picks up where the Steve Morse left off? Or do they play in 2 different ballparks?

I had the Inferno. That and the SE EL34 are the 2 best amps in Engl’s line up imo. I remember it being kinda like a much better version of the Fireball 100 with maybe more midrange presence, better for leads and also better cleans. Nice amp. Like all Engl’s it still to some degree had that inorganic/synthetic sound, but probably still one of the better high gain amps currently being made, especially for the price. Was always puzzling to me why it got so little attention. Maybe guys were turned off by it being a Marty Friedman signature amp or not enough other guys used it or made clips of it
The back of hit looks identical to the Engl
@braintheory Based on the functions/knob lay-out, I would think it would be a tweaked Retro, compared to a Fireball?

engl-e766-marty-friedman-inferno-signature-1663159.jpg

engl-e762-retro-tube-50.jpg
IThat was what I noticed when I researched . I’ve yet try one of the these but I love the inferno look . How retro is the retro ?

Curious if you still have the Inferno and hoping you might be able to give a little more insight on comparison to the Steve Morse.

I have been thinking about getting a new amp since I rearranged my room and made some space for another head, but not sure what I wanted. I dismissed the Inferno at first not finding much on it then having read someone describe it as generic sounding. Maybe they played it for 5 minutes at GC as this thread paints a different picture. Your description specifically is making me take another hard look at it.

I've had my Steve Morse for about a year now & I love it, especially the mid matrix. It's probably my most favorite amp I've played/owned so far. I'm able to cover pretty much everything up to a point; but like you, I find it not quite aggressive enough when I want to get into the thrash metal or higher area. Where you say it's aggressive yet balanced and has the growl of the Steve Morse has me really thinking this might be exactly what I want to go for. I also like where you describe being able to dial it to something marshallesque, but it has it's own ENGL tone. I don't need another Marshall wannabe.

Since you've own(ed) and spent a decent time with both the Inferno & Steve Morse could you elaborate on their similarities and differences? Does the Inferno have any organic feel to it? Or is it super focused like a Savage? Would it be fair to say the the Inferno somewhat picks up where the Steve Morse left off? Or do they play in 2 different ballparks?
I’ve owned an inferno and tried a Steve Morse years ago. The Inferno is more like a better sounding fireball imo and the Morse is more like the Invader models. Different amps. The Inferno is more growly, hairy. None of the Engl’s really sound organic, just not their thing, but the Inferno is less processed sounding than a lot of their other amps including the Morse. The Inferno is not as tight as the Savage, but adequately tight imo. Honestly, for pure quality of tone there are other amps I would generally recommend to others over Engl’s unless you’re very specific in the features you need (like all the channels, midi, knobs, etc) or specific price points maybe. That being said my 2 favorite Engl’s were the Inferno and SE EL34 and Artist Edition would probably be my 3rd favorite

The back of hit looks identical to the Engl

IThat was what I noticed when I researched . I’ve yet try one of the these but I love the inferno look . How retro is the retro ?
Not very retro sounding at all imo. One my least favorites in the Engl line-up. Honestly though with the amps you’ve got already I’m not sure what the Engl’s would really have to offer. Some can be cool, but have sold all of mine years ago now

Not very retro sounding at all imo. One my least favorites in the Engl line-up. Honestly though with the amps you’ve got already I’m not sure what the Engl’s would really have to offer. Some can be cool, but have sold all of mine years ago now
I’ll be honest the powerball is my favorite practice amp . I constantly play it quiet . But ya it’s destroyed by others as soon as you got to play loud .btw I have a question . Mk 3 green stripe with ++ mod . How good does it sound in comparison to 2c++ . I though I read you had both before ? If you did maybe DM me so I don’t hijack this Engl talk lol

I’ll be honest the powerball is my favorite practice amp . I constantly play it quiet . But ya it’s destroyed by others as soon as you got to play loud .btw I have a question . Mk 3 green stripe with ++ mod . How good does it sound in comparison to 2c++ . I though I read you had both before ? If you did maybe DM me so I don’t hijack this Engl talk lol
Engl's do very well at low volumes that's very true. Used to be some of my favorites for that purpose too. The very best amps I've had at low volumes though have been my ccv, Reason SM50 and this one Cameron modded Marshall I used to have. The Naylor's also have excellent MV's. All better imo at any volume than the Engl's

I had a green stripe, but it was never modded. I have a no stripe coli with the ++ mod and had 2 blue stripe coliseums with ++ mods. The ++ mods made them closer sounding to the c+'s voicing, but the inherent mark iii voicing is still there, but overall a worthwhile improvement imo. The no stripe coli I have already was closer than the other iii's to the c+ voicing when stock

Yes, I still have the Inferno. I sold Savage 120 and kept Inferno and Savage SE (I was easily able to dial SE to the tone I liked on 120). Morse is a great amp, no doubts. Regarding to aggressivity, he is quite decent, you know it. Inferno takes it's basic sound more to Fireball, Powerball and let say a bit of Marshall. Then there is the Savage on the scale. I still prefer Savage for thrash, but just a bit over Inferno. Savage is sometimes too sharp and then boring, Inferno is very balanced and never makes my ears tired. I don't use them for gigging. I am retired musician and just playing at home, except of just for fun rehearsal with my band, once a week. Buy something, test, sell, buy, test, sell, ... you know. But those two amps are so far keepers. However, not easy to describe the sound, one time to listen or play is better than thousand words. Maybe there was a good point with similarity of Morse to Invader and Inferno to the Fireball.

I like to test the sound of an amp playing simple 2 notes "chord" of open A string and E (on D string). There I can hear the fundamental sound of an amp and whether the amp purrs :) . Morse and Inferno passed through this test with 5 stars. Purr at its best. However, as I mentioned already, better to hear than talk. About a month ago Euge Valovirta recorded great review of the Inferno on YT. I use almost the same settings on mine. He has also a great comparison of some other Engl amps. I highly recommend his channel to all fans of Engls and guitar gear generally. He can dial the sound, plays great and his mixing is great as well.

Also just a small remark about cold and compressed sounding Engls. I believe it's a bit of bullshit. Everything is about gain, tone controls, speakers and the player. And cutting through? I play Powerball in our rehearsal room and never had a problem "against" 6505. The same with Savage and Inferno, when I overcame laziness and took them there. No killing of amps, just nice sound collaboration :)

If you have a possibility to use Kemper, I created some profiles of Morse and Inferno. Unfortunately, Morse is just on neutral settings, I sold it before I was able to create more profiles. Inferno profiles are on my favorite settings. Just find the author McStinger on the Rig Exchange. So, my 2 cents :)

Engl's do very well at low volumes that's very true. Used to be some of my favorites for that purpose too. The very best amps I've had at low volumes though have been my ccv, Reason SM50 and this one Cameron modded Marshall I used to have. The Naylor's also have excellent MV's. All better imo at any volume than the Engl's

I had a green stripe, but it was never modded. I have a no stripe coli with the ++ mod and had 2 blue stripe coliseums with ++ mods. The ++ mods made them closer sounding to the c+'s voicing, but the inherent mark iii voicing is still there, but overall a worthwhile improvement imo. The no stripe coli I have already was closer than the other iii's to the c+ voicing when stock
Thanks man. That definitely helps fr

Yes, I still have the Inferno. I sold Savage 120 and kept Inferno and Savage SE (I was easily able to dial SE to the tone I liked on 120). Morse is a great amp, no doubts. Regarding to aggressivity, he is quite decent, you know it. Inferno takes it's basic sound more to Fireball, Powerball and let say a bit of Marshall. Then there is the Savage on the scale. I still prefer Savage for thrash, but just a bit over Inferno. Savage is sometimes too sharp and then boring, Inferno is very balanced and never makes my ears tired. I don't use them for gigging. I am retired musician and just playing at home, except of just for fun rehearsal with my band, once a week. Buy something, test, sell, buy, test, sell, ... you know. But those two amps are so far keepers. However, not easy to describe the sound, one time to listen or play is better than thousand words. Maybe there was a good point with similarity of Morse to Invader and Inferno to the Fireball.

I like to test the sound of an amp playing simple 2 notes "chord" of open A string and E (on D string). There I can hear the fundamental sound of an amp and whether the amp purrs :) . Morse and Inferno passed through this test with 5 stars. Purr at its best. However, as I mentioned already, better to hear than talk. About a month ago Euge Valovirta recorded great review of the Inferno on YT. I use almost the same settings on mine. He has also a great comparison of some other Engl amps. I highly recommend his channel to all fans of Engls and guitar gear generally. He can dial the sound, plays great and his mixing is great as well.

Also just a small remark about cold and compressed sounding Engls. I believe it's a bit of bullshit. Everything is about gain, tone controls, speakers and the player. And cutting through? I play Powerball in our rehearsal room and never had a problem "against" 6505. The same with Savage and Inferno, when I overcame laziness and took them there. No killing of amps, just nice sound collaboration :)

If you have a possibility to use Kemper, I created some profiles of Morse and Inferno. Unfortunately, Morse is just on neutral settings, I sold it before I was able to create more profiles. Inferno profiles are on my favorite settings. Just find the author McStinger on the Rig Exchange. So, my 2 cents :)

Thank you for the insight.
Ok, I understand your comparison to the Morse now. The Inferno doesn't sound the same, but passed your growl & purr test like the Morse did just in it's own way. Tone wise It's more similar to the Fireball and Powerball.

I compared Euge's Inferno video to his Fireball/Powerball/Blackmore comparison. It looked like he was using the same guitar and speaker cab in both videos. Listening to other quality videos of all four amps, they all sounded similar to Euge's videos. So it seems like everything has an accurate representation and should be a decent 1:1 comparison.
I'm not going to say the Inferno smoked all three of those (all sounded great), but I much preferred the Inferno's sound. It sounded just as aggressive as the others but beefier than the Fireball, more clear/articulate than the Powerball, and smoother than the Blackmore. I liked hearing it against the Marshall too. I picked up the tiniest bit of Marshall, but not enough to call it similar sounding. The Inferno had it's own thing going. I only wish there was availability for me to play in person. The only music store in the area is GC. The next closest one is another GC 2 hours away. Neither of the have anything decent for in store inventory to try.

I'm really starting to get sold on the idea of having an Inferno. It seems like it may be one of the best sounding in ENGL's lineup and different enough from my other amps to have a place.

@MadAsAHatter Yes, generally agree, good resumee. Nice on Euge's videos is the fact, that he instinctively dials-in his sound and uses mostly the same IR, so it is possible to compare. Also he does not use stupid amount of gain, thus the sound is readable. Well, good luck with shopping :)

@braintheory Based on the functions/knob lay-out, I would think it would be a tweaked Retro, compared to a Fireball?

engl-e766-marty-friedman-inferno-signature-1663159.jpg

engl-e762-retro-tube-50.jpg
I saw a video from Engl that they indeed mentioned using the Retro as a "basis" for the Inferno, though also said it was majorly tweaked from there. I owned a Retro, and it's a killer amp. I think they more/less made a Retro Fireball Artist, based on the tones. To my ears, it seems to cop the Retro cleans, Fireball aggressiveness, and EL34 punch of the Artist. It's certainly an amp Id consider, but the red looks silly. They do offer a blacked-out edition, but few dealers have them. I think the Asshat Palace has an all-black.

Engls sound killer with EL34's. I just bought another Artist.

The last Artist Edition 100 I owned said Blackmore and Artist on the back. They're virtually the same amp, with 6L6 vs. EL34's being the difference, as well as some value tweaks.

I saw a video from Engl that they indeed mentioned using the Retro as a "basis" for the Inferno, though also said it was majorly tweaked from there. I owned a Retro, and it's a killer amp. I think they more/less made a Retro Fireball Artist, based on the tones. To my ears, it seems to cop the Retro cleans, Fireball aggressiveness, and EL34 punch of the Artist. It's certainly an amp Id consider, but the red looks silly. They do offer a blacked-out edition, but few dealers have them. I think the Asshat Palace has an all-black.

Engls sound killer with EL34's. I just bought another Artist.
I saw that video too. The guy said they used the control layout from the retro tube, but the tone was totally different. Tho the retro tube has been on my radar for a bit and i can hear some similarities on their clean channels.
The more I read about and hear the Inferno the more I'm wanting one. It really does seem like they've taken the best parts of their other models and blended them together.
I think the Inferno isn't more popular because of the red. Red and black is my 2nd favorite color combo so it doesn't bug me, but it's not for everyone. They may have been better with the red chassis and leaving the bars running across black.

I saw that video too. The guy said they used the control layout from the retro tube, but the tone was totally different. Tho the retro tube has been on my radar for a bit and i can hear some similarities on their clean channels.
The more I read about and hear the Inferno the more I'm wanting one. It really does seem like they've taken the best parts of their other models and blended them together.
I think the Inferno isn't more popular because of the red. Red and black is my 2nd favorite color combo so it doesn't bug me, but it's not for everyone. They may have been better with the red chassis and leaving the bars running across black.

I hear the high mids of the Retro in it too, regardless of what they're saying. The Retro has a more high-mid Marshall thing going on, (atleast the one I had did). I hear it in the Inferno videos.

Doing a little more research I came across this Quote from Marty Friedman from back when the Inferno was first released.:

The ENGL Marty Friedman "INFERNO" Signature Amp is here! The sound that I got on the "Inferno" album was done with a combination of the ENGL Special Edition, Powerball, Steve Morse sig and the Invader amps.
The Engl engineers analyzed what I was and wasn`t using from each of these amps to get those monster tones and created a "Frankenstein" out of those amps customized to the types of tones I like to use.
The task was then given to the ENGL amp engineers to squash all of these models into one hybrid head that Marty would be proud to put his name too.

That pretty much coincides with much of what has been said here, the few reviews I've read & clips I've listened to.

Engls sound killer with EL34's.
That's the reason why after 10 years of absence, I own a Savage 60 (MKI) again and it's not going anywhere this time!

There was talk that the Blackmore (and perhaps the Artist) was derived from that amp, but I'm not sure how much they have in common. I think the Savage is more punchy and aggressive than the Blackmore I played, but then again, that was maybe 15 years ago.

Back