Engl Savage 120 (Clip inside) redone

dwizted

Here is a clip of just some random riffing mistakes and all. Still trying to get this recording Stuff down. :doh: Programing drums is a bitch... Its really cool though learning different ways to do stuff and there is so much you can do to change the tone of things. Anyways here is the Savage 120 played through a Jackson PC-1 with a Dimarzio XN2 in the bridge. The savage is being played through a Mesa recto slant with vintage 30s recorded through a Shure Sm57.

https://soundcloud.com/dwizted/engl-savage-120

Here its is with the suggestions I hope it sounds better.

https://soundcloud.com/dwizted/engl-savage-120-2

Big D

dwizted":2vhog7gm said:
Here is a clip of just some random riffing mistakes and all. Still trying to get this recording Stuff down. :doh: Programing drums is a bitch... Its really cool though learning different ways to do stuff and there is so much you can do to change the tone of things. Anyways here is the Savage 120 played through a Jackson PC-1 with a Dimarzio XN2 in the bridge. The savage is being played through a Mesa recto slant with vintage 30s recorded through a Shure Sm57.

https://soundcloud.com/dwizted/engl-savage-120-1

Big D

I've had EZ Drummer on my computer for a few years now and still don't know how to do it. The couple of times I spent about 2 minutes trying to learn, I thought it was a pain and quit. I just find loops that are "ballpark" for what I want and either add or take away from there. I'll admit it, I'm really lazy. :yes:

Sounds good man, just a little congested. Ive always thought the savages sound alot like 5150's. My blockletter gets boxy and congested in the mids on recordings. I uave to use way different eq for recording with that amp. Less mids and more highs, etc.

mchn13":281b02sm said:
Sounds good man, just a little congested. Ive always thought the savages sound alot like 5150's. My blockletter gets boxy and congested in the mids on recordings. I uave to use way different eq for recording with that amp. Less mids and more highs, etc.

I see what you mean it sounds totally different under a Mic for sure..

Tones sounds great. I would play around with the mic. It sounds like you have a blanket over the cab and the drums sound super clear in contrast. Other than that, great clip.

gibson5413":1n2rm958 said:
Tones sounds great. I would play around with the mic. It sounds like you have a blanket over the cab and the drums sound super clear in contrast. Other than that, great clip.
I se what you mean I am going to try some diferent mic placements to see if I can get it to sound better and different eq settings. I have a 609 mic that I am going to try out as well.

dwizted":je189k6i said:
mchn13":je189k6i said:

I

I see what you mean it sounds totally different under a Mic for sure..

I wish i could record anything that good. I pretty much only record when one of my bands hits the studio, and i wrestle trying to get a great tone everytime. A mic only pics up a small fraction of what your ears hear from a cab, and its definitely an art form getting that fraction to sound huge but not dominating a mix. Im surprised everytime i use the moniters and a freq analyzer to dial in my amps; as to what my settings end up being.

dwizted":b9ri7kd2 said:
gibson5413":b9ri7kd2 said:
I se what you mean I am going to try some diferent mic placements to see if I can get it to sound better and different eq settings. I have a 609 mic that I am going to try out as well.

That is a good idea. The tone was great. The placement just made it sound like it was suffocating. I usually mix my 57 with a 609 with great results.

Sounds good man. Love that Engl growl. My Powerball II has made me forget about the great amps I've owned in the past...

Its a great amp, such an array of unique and lets be honest brutal 3 D tones. I always thought the savage was streets ahead of the powerball, and it reallt cuts through mixes. Not a forgiving amp and i prefer the more lenient sag of my mesa but definitely ( Along with my marshall 30th anny) on the list of amps i shouldnt have sold.

gibson5413":32ywqttr said:
dwizted":32ywqttr said:
gibson5413":32ywqttr said:

That is a good idea. The tone was great. The placement just made it sound like it was suffocating. I usually mix my 57 with a 609 with great results.

I think I found the sweet spot on the 57. Thanks for the advise brother really helped I will post the new recording in a bit. By the way I was check your clips out and you are an awesome player man hope to be that good one day...

Sick Michael":6z6j4rep said:
Its a great amp, such an array of unique and lets be honest brutal 3 D tones. I always thought the savage was streets ahead of the powerball, and it reallt cuts through mixes. Not a forgiving amp and i prefer the more lenient sag of my mesa but definitely ( Along with my marshall 30th anny) on the list of amps i shouldnt have sold.

I really love the savage its killer and does more than what some people give it credit for. I know what you mean about the mesa sag though. I miss the hell out of my roadster...

Red_Label":39uulmm1 said:
Sounds good man. Love that Engl growl. My Powerball II has made me forget about the great amps I've owned in the past...

The powerball II is insane too I spent about an hr with it at my local GC Playing through a stilleto cab and it was really sweet sounding. I wish I had the cash for one as it would be heaven having both...

bubbastain":dug7bj2y said:
dwizted":dug7bj2y said:

https://soundcloud.com/dwizted/engl-savage-120-1

Big D

I've had EZ Drummer on my computer for a few years now and still don't know how to do it. The couple of times I spent about 2 minutes trying to learn, I thought it was a pain and quit. I just find loops that are "ballpark" for what I want and either add
or take away from there. I'll admit it, I'm really lazy. :yes:

I know what you mean my ADHD makes it difficult as well. I ended up forcing myself to start learning it. I still suck and will probably never get it down but once you kinda of get the hang of it it gets alot easier. I hear ez drummer is a really good programand has some great kits. I wish I would have gotten it But GC was blowing out addictive drums for 39 bucks a couple of months ago.

There is nothing better for a Savage than the ENGL Pro cab. That cab is so dang good it is scary. I tried Mesa and Marshall, but the Savage and the Pro are leagues ahead together. Makes all my amps sound grest actually, especially the AFD100.

Back