Engl Savage 120 Mk II through M65 Creambacks

SFW

Still working on dialing in the Savage for tones. Testing out what speakers I think will make the amp shine for my uses. Here's a quick clip of the amp through a Splawn 212 cab loaded with Celestion M65 Creambacks.

Savage tones. I was messing around with some emulation for one of these recently, and it got my GAS going. But between Christmas, 2 teenager's birthdays and upcoming Valentines, my tank is empty for at least another week, haha. Love to see some followup.

@SFW did you dial it in dark or is that the phone recording? I remember Savages (incl. my Savage 60) being much brighter typically.
Nevertheless, love the juicy chunk you get out of it! :rock:
I had Creamback M65's myself and probably didn't spend enough time to break them in properly, so they were on the stiffer, nasal side.

With the Savage 60's 2 channels and shared EQ, it's typically a compromsise; tight and aggressive for riffing or smoother/bigger for leads.

@SFW did you dial it in dark or is that the phone recording? I remember Savages (incl. my Savage 60) being much brighter typically.
Nevertheless, love the juicy chunk you get out of it! :rock:
I had Creamback M65's myself and probably didn't spend enough time to break them in properly, so they were on the stiffer, nasal side.

With the Savage 60's 2 channels and shared EQ, it's typically a compromsise; tight and aggressive for riffing or smoother/bigger for leads.
So far, in my limited experience with the amp, it is darker than what I am used to. The treble and presence are both around 1:00 in that clip. The M65s do shelve some high end. The amp is a bit brighter with my EVH cab. I do find that there is a fine line between having enough bite and sounding brittle with this amp.

So far, I can tell I will use the amp like a two-channel amp. Set a great clean and try to find a chunky rhythm tone. Smack it with a boost to make it chewy for solos. I haven't found the two crunch channels to be anything worth writing home about. I've got about two more weeks to decide if this is "the" amp for me. If not, I'll probably just go back to the original EVH 5150 III 100-watt head.

I do find that there is a fine line between having enough bite and sounding brittle with this amp.
Exactly my findings with the Savage 60!

I don't know if the Savage 120 MKII reacts the same, but in my experience with various Engls, running the Channel volumes around noon or higher and adjust the master to taste, typically sounds better than having the channel volumes around 9 'o clock or so.
One caveat: the e670 SE (EL34), while also sounding better with the channel volumes higher, overloaded the FX-Loop with pedals. So I had to run the channel volumes lower (in the 9 to 10 o'clock range) so that the pedals in the fx-loop wouldn't sound too dark or murky.

I haven't found the two crunch channels to be anything worth writing home about
Not even Crunch II in Hi Gain mode with Rough engaged? Still too lacklustre compared to the Lead Channel?
For me it was almost the same with the SE EL34; Clean=great. Crunch=kinda tame; I wanted a bit more classic Marshall from it.
Lead I and II=both with over the top gain; while sounding great, both were too much in the same vein instead of one being more rhythm oriented and the other more lead.
With my Invader 100, it's different; Clean channel=lovely, open, Fendery, jangly, doesn't distort with humbuckers, unless you want it to.
Channel 2 (Crunch/Medium gain) sounds very good and versatile, but too smooth and 'well behaved'. Could've used more Savage rawness.
Channel 3=typical good Engl high gain rhythm/lead tones. Not much to complain here.
Channel 4: leads only, but far too wooly and saturated. Instant Santana stuff... Almost like Engl tried to do Bogner meets Recto-tones.

To put it this way; if my Invader's Channel 2 was the Rhythm/Lead channel of the Savage and Invader's CH4 was the SE EL34's Lead channel, it could've been a desert island amp.

Exactly my findings with the Savage 60!

I don't know if the Savage 120 MKII reacts the same, but in my experience with various Engls, running the Channel volumes around noon or higher and adjust the master to taste, typically sounds better than having the channel volumes around 9 'o clock or so.
One caveat: the e670 SE (EL34), while also sounding better with the channel volumes higher, overloaded the FX-Loop with pedals. So I had to run the channel volumes lower (in the 9 to 10 o'clock range) so that the pedals in the fx-loop wouldn't sound too dark or murky.

Not even Crunch II in Hi Gain mode with Rough engaged? Still too lacklustre compared to the Lead Channel?
For me it was almost the same with the SE EL34; Clean=great. Crunch=kinda tame; I wanted a bit more classic Marshall from it.
Lead I and II=both with over the top gain; while sounding great, both were too much in the same vein instead of one being more rhythm oriented and the other more lead.
With my Invader 100, it's different; Clean channel=lovely, open, Fendery, jangly, doesn't distort with humbuckers, unless you want it to.
Channel 2 (Crunch/Medium gain) sounds very good and versatile, but too smooth and 'well behaved'. Could've used more Savage rawness.
Channel 3=typical good Engl high gain rhythm/lead tones. Not much to complain here.
Channel 4: leads only, but far too wooly and saturated. Instant Santana stuff... Almost like Engl tried to do Bogner meets Recto-tones.

To put it this way; if my Invader's Channel 2 was the Rhythm/Lead channel of the Savage and Invader's CH4 was the SE EL34's Lead channel, it could've been a desert island amp.
Channel one clean is a great channel. The two crunch channels leave a little to be desired to me. I think with a boost or an OD they could be made into something cool. The Lead channel is where I will live 90% of the time. I'll hit it with an Archer anytime I need a little more juice. Though it really doesn't need it.

Really nicely dialed in and solid playing - rhythm and leads / fills are super clean, super tight, really together.

Back