Engl Savage 120 MKI Playthrough

Bad.Seed

My First Engl video on my channel! I've owned a few Engl amps and have never really been a big fan (they were all older models)

BUT THIS - this has made me a believer. Really, really digging this amp and I am actually going to try and hunt on down for myself!

Killer high gain - Marshlly tones with an Engl twist. I definitely dug it!

Kyle,

Just a tip, the 3rd and 4th channel gain pots are additive... meaning you need to crank both up to around 3:00 to get max gain in the lead 4th channel. The way you have it set, you are only getting about 50% of the gain or less on the the lead 4th channel.

Gain boost on, contour on, rough mode on the 4 the channel. Depth boost off, and presence set to around 2-3:00. One of my favorite settings. And crank up BOTH gain pots!

Sounds good man!

The engl savage plus a LWA LHW is probably my favorite death metal/chainsaw tone combo.

Kyle,

Just a tip, the 3rd and 4th channel gain pots are additive... meaning you need to crank both up to around 3:00 to get max gain in the lead 4th channel. The way you have it set, you are only getting about 50% of the gain or less on the the lead 4th channel.

Gain boost on, contour on, rough mode on the 4 the channel. Depth boost off, and presence set to around 2-3:00. One of my favorite settings. And crank up BOTH gain pots!
That's insane, because I felt it was crazy saturated on the lead channel as is. A little more gain on the crunch channel would have been cool for sure, though.

I'll check it out when I get it back!

One of my top 5 amps and the only amp I've owned that I preferred without a boost. Tightest amp with the fastest attack out there IMO...sometimes too tight.

Nice demo, the amp sounds great. I enjoy your approach of just riffing a round a little and tweaking everything.

That's insane, because I felt it was crazy saturated on the lead channel as is. A little more gain on the crunch channel would have been cool for sure, though.

I'll check it out when I get it back!
Did you crank the clean gain? Thery're additive as well

My favorite tone from you to date is happening between 16:00 and 17:00. Have you considered adding a room mic to your recordings (I know you like your single 57 setup)? It could really thicken/smooth out the tone and give it some depth. Ola's vids come to mind.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice demo, the amp sounds great. I enjoy your approach of just riffing a round a little and tweaking everything.
Thanks man! I figure that's really the best way to give an idea of how the amp really sounds. Mixes and processed audio kind of tend to hide the true nature of the amp

My favorite tone from you to date is happening between 16:00 and 17:00. Have you considered adding a room mic to your recordings (I know you like your single 57 setup)? It could really thicken/smooth out the tone and give it some depth. Ola's vids come to mind.

:thumbsup:
Thanks my man!
I've considered adding a room mic, but not to layer in conjunction with the SM57. I'm more or less trying to give the most simple representation of my amps, which is why I use a mic and speaker everyone is generally familiar with. Makes it easier to compare with my other videos as a point of reference.

The room mic would be cool as it's own standalone thing that I cut to in certain situations just to show the in room sound.

Sounds great, wish I knew more about what each model is all about. Really dug the tones here and the Fireball tones from Sonic Drive Studios..

Thanks my man!
I've considered adding a room mic, but not to layer in conjunction with the SM57. I'm more or less trying to give the most simple representation of my amps, which is why I use a mic and speaker everyone is generally familiar with. Makes it easier to compare with my other videos as a point of reference.

The room mic would be cool as it's own standalone thing that I cut to in certain situations just to show the in room sound.
See I'll counter the room as I like your recordings better than Ola's. Nice simple straightforward setup. Sometimes Ola's got to much room in the mix and takes away IMO.

See I'll counter the room as I like your recordings better than Ola's. Nice simple straightforward setup. Sometimes Ola's got to much room in the mix and takes away IMO.

Room mics are pretty much useless for amp demos. Too much coloration, possibility of standing waves, to hard to position, and a bunch of other variables to go wrong. KISS. Not the band.

Back