Engl Savage 120?

PSGuitar

Anyone have expwrimev with the Savage 120 compared to amps like the PRS Archon, Mesa Mark V, KSR, and other modern high gain heads?

I'm gassing for the Savage but also would consider the Inferno.

My main amp is my Mark V and love it.

Curious ho hard it is to tweak and use the Savage. I know it requires a midi controller and I have no experience with midi amps.

My current project/band is sort of a cross between Tool and Deftones. It's a fun project

Thanks guys!

Savage 120 is in my top 5. It's pretty easy to get numerous great tones. I got excellent classic rock and thrash/DM tones. Only amp of 35 or so where I didn't need a boost...actually sounded better without one to me. Crazy tight/fast attack. Wish I never sold mine. They did change the OT somewhere around 2011 I think, which is what I had, FWIW.

Owned the Savage 120, Fireball 100, Artist edition, Blackmore, and played the Ironball, and the Savage 120 is my favorite.

I love the savage 120 , one of my all time favorite for sure. I kinda wish it had el34s but the feel and tightness of the amp is amazing. Thing gets angry!

I briefly played a Savage and liked it a lot. The name fits. Much more aggressive than the Archon IMHO. Mesa Marks are nice amps too, can't go wrong.

I am gasing for a mark 2. It doesnt help Sweetwater now carries them. Wish there were more reviews of the engl inferno cause thats the only other engl that peaks my interest

The savage is a great amp, but for me personally, it’s not at all what I would be looking at for tones similar or in the same vein of those bands. At all.

Like everyone else has said on here, very tight and fast attack. Raw and aggressive. More versatile then it gets credit for. Its mainly known for metal tones but it can dish out classic rock gains just as good. Also I'd agree with VES as well. Not an ideal amp if you're looking for Tool or Deftones type tones. Its a bit too dry for that style. A boost could get you there for the needed saturation but it might get too clanky depending on what boost you use. Savage has a ton of upper mids.

If you have an audio interface, download the free demo the Plugin Alliance Engl Savage. To me its about 90% of the real thing and will get you at least a taste and some familiarity with the amp. Nothing to lose.

Back