Engl Savage 60 MKII - MIDI control / Switching Channels on Amp

NivianeGuitars1

I just purchased an Engl Savage 60 MKII head and it is the best sounding amp I have ever purchased. I have looked around on the internet for information on them and there isnt a whole lot out there.
First of all , the amp does not come with a footswitch, you have to purchase separately. Next, the amp is capable of MIDI control, but the MIDI assignments do not list changing the amp channels as a MIDI command. The footswitch is a TRS cable that when plugged into the amp, the MIDI port is disabled.

I am wanting to control the head one of two ways: Ultimately through a MIDI controller. I own a Fractal FM3 with an FC6. I would love to be able to change the amps channel with the Fractal and assign multi effects per channel - Button 1 Clean with effects - Button 2 Dirty with effects - Button 3 Solo with effects and so on.

The other way I am thinking is using a TRS type footswitch with either MIDI in for an effects unit to plug into and the TRS cable to plug into the footswitch jack of the amp. That way I could change the amps channels through the switch and hopefully program the effects unit to change effects with each button selected on the footswitch.

The final way would be to run a footswitch with an FX loop built into it.....but then I would be tap dancing (between the effects unit and the amp channels) and I would like to avoid this if possible.

Does anyone else own this amp and what have you done as a workable solution?

Gary

Holy crap, you have at your disposal an absolute powerhouse of midi flexibility. I would definitely recommend using the FM3 and FC6 to its full potential with your savage. Perhaps start with something simple, then read and configure to customize further down the road. You could change presets on the savage and fm3 with the fc6, using the factory default #1 layout of the fc6, which switches through 4 presets at a time, perfect for your amp, which has 4 channels. Then, as you get familiar with your fm3 and fc6, you could add scenes and flip fx on/off, even add another fc6/12 for more flexibility. Dude, i wouldn't even bother with trs jacks, when you have so much more power at your fingertips!

OK......I figured out how to program the Engl Savage 60 MKII to a MIDI controller. Keep in mind this was done with a Fractal FM3, but I would assume that it applies to any MIDI controller.

MIDI out of controller to MIDI in Engl Savage.
Set up the channel you want to save on the Engl savage (dial in your bass, mids, treble and engage the other features you want the channel preset to remember)
Push the "write/copy" button on the Engl.....it will flash continuously
Select the button on your MIDI controller you want to save the channel to
Push and hold the "write/copy" button for about 3 seconds. The light will flash three times very quickly and turn off.
Push the button on your MIDI controller that you saved your channel preset to. It should be written to this button now.

Back