EQ pedal in Renegade loop....great results!!

jdsjw13

Hey Guys,

I've had the Renegade head for 8 months now and could just never get myself to love it. I loved all of the features and the clean channel was great but channel 2 just DID NOT do it for me. Many months ago I read a post by Bruce that said putting a graphic EQ in the loop could do wonders for changing an amp's tone (saying that EQ was essentially the main difference between various stompbox distortion/overdrive pedals). Well, he's absolutely right!! I put an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop and the difference is like night and day!!! The pedal is so tweakable and that coupled with all of the Renegade's tweakability gives you endless tonal options!! The build quality of the MXR EQ is awesome....highly recommend it to any of you.

I'm currently re-configuring my pedal board so for those of you who do use a EQ in the loop I have a question. What position in the FX loop do you put your EQ (first, last, before/after delay, before/after modulation etc)? I know that there is no "right" answer and that it is very subjective but I just wanted to get some opinions. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks....

Did you ever try any tube swaps?? Man, I've gotten fabulous tones out of channel two on my buddy's Renegade.

Yeah, EQ in the loop works great for many amps. I also like a graphic EQ up front sometimes too. Really hammers the input with the frequencies you like. Very cool and versatile pedal for sure.

Yeah, I did a complete tube swap a few months back. Although I did like the results of that it wasn't as drastic as using the EQ pedal. I'm finally getting closer to where I need to be tonally. I just don't personally like the voicing of channel 2....just me. Where do you put your EQ in the loop?

I've actually been running my EQ in front of my Marshall Jubilee and Eggie Seminar Head. Boost the mids/upper mids a bit and it really gives a good crunch to the amp.

When I use the loop, I usually do a slight scoop as I find the boosted mids in the loop kind of grate on my ears.

Is that what you were asking??

Since you're not on line,i'll go on... :) It's difficult for me to believe you really don't like the Renegade Ch2's voicing !For me,it's pure bliss!Fabulous tone in Ch2 and Ch1!But i'm kind of relieved it's not to everyone's taste ;) .

Well, as we all know, tone is a completely subjective thing. You may like channel 2.....I don't. I'm just wondering where in the order chain IN THE FX LOOP people are putting their EQ pedals. I'm not using it for a solo boost and I'm not using it up front and I'm pretty much going to have it on at all times. I'm just wondering if I should put it BEFORE modulation and delay or AFTER modulation and delay at the very end of the chain in the loop and what the pros and cons are of each placement. I'm mostly playing a Gibson SG with Seymour Duncan pups and occasionally an Ibanez S-series with the same pups. Thanks

Hmm, my guess would be last, but that's one where you just have to try it first, last and in between and see which you like better.

Just as in tone being subjective as well!!!

I would put the EQ pedal in the loop before delay or reverb. I used to use the MXR 10 band EQ pedal in the loop of a vox amp and it worked great. It is alot more subtle if you put it in front of the amp...so if you are looking to completely change the sound keep it in the loop.

i use an mxr eq in the loop. i use mine for just barely boosting the lows and low mids, BARELY. makes things alot fatter. Also its the very last thing in the signal chain

i would put it last in the loop after all your effects.

reason being, if the effects add crappy noise and hiss you dont like, you can dial it out.

then again,i LOVE what my effects add, so you'll have to try it in front.

why not try it in front of the amp too? inline, like a distorto pedal?

Back