ESP Custom Shop - worth it in 2023?

I posted that clip above and realized this guy is the only one outside of Metallica to play it correctly. This dude is just killing it and aside from the triplet it's all down picked(mostly). It has to be one of the best riffs of all time imo.

Last edited:
I've owned an Indonesian KVT and a Pink Jackson Custom shop king V. I actually liked the Snow White Indo King V better. However I still want to order a ESP in jawbreaker finish with sharkfin inlays. The shop I contacted said ESP Japan is the only shop that would do it and they might not because sharkfins are a Jackson thing. Anyone own a Japan made ESP can tell me what you think. I'm hoping that it would be worth it to get one or just maybe keep it USA and spec it down.

I've owned an Indonesian KVT and a Pink Jackson Custom shop king V. I actually liked the Snow White Indo King V better. However I still want to order a ESP in jawbreaker finish with sharkfin inlays. The shop I contacted said ESP Japan is the only shop that would do it and they might not because sharkfins are a Jackson thing. Anyone own a Japan made ESP can tell me what you think. I'm hoping that it would be worth it to get one or just maybe keep it USA and spec it down.
Yeah I'd be shocked if they did the sharkfin inlays since that's definitely a Jackson thing. I will say since I own CS's and USA models that the CS is a better guitar on average. They are much more consistent and just feel amazing over, not that the USA doesn't but the CS is just special. The current pricing is on par for each as is the wait times last I've heard. It also doesn't look like the Jawbreaker finish is available on USA builds anymore. If the cost and wait isn't a deciding factor for you, I would just order the CS and be done. It's worth it.

Yeah I'd be shocked if they did the sharkfin inlays since that's definitely a Jackson thing. I will say since I own CS's and USA models that the CS is a better guitar on average. They are much more consistent and just feel amazing over, not that the USA doesn't but the CS is just special. The current pricing is on par for each as is the wait times last I've heard. It also doesn't look like the Jawbreaker finish is available on USA builds anymore. If the cost and wait isn't a deciding factor for you, I would just order the CS and be done. It's worth it.
Awesome. Yea I was thinking of order a basic M-I Custom with a single pickup, MM-04 preamp boost, fin inlays, and the jawbreaker finish. Maybe just do their their offset blocks inlay if not. That'll pretty much be their LTD M-1 but made in the custom shop and with a jawbreaker finish. Then I can compare the two and see what they hype is about :ROFLMAO:. But thanks for the info I'll hear back from my local dealer and see what they say.

I think the E serial number guitars (Original Series & Custom orders) that have been coming out of the Japanese Custom Shop these past few years are some of the best guitars ever built in terms of quality and feel. I have a couple original series and custom orders and cannot find a fault on them, outstanding instruments. Price is very high though but you get what you pay for

Awesome. Yea I was thinking of order a basic M-I Custom with a single pickup, MM-04 preamp boost, fin inlays, and the jawbreaker finish. Maybe just do their their offset blocks inlay if not. That'll pretty much be their LTD M-1 but made in the custom shop and with a jawbreaker finish. Then I can compare the two and see what they hype is about :ROFLMAO:. But thanks for the info I'll hear back from my local dealer and see what they say.
Be wary that build times will be quite long though! Wouldn't expect to receive it before 18 to 24 months at least but I'm sure that if you end up doing it you will not disappointed

I think the E serial number guitars (Original Series & Custom orders) that have been coming out of the Japanese Custom Shop these past few years are some of the best guitars ever built in terms of quality and feel. I have a couple original series and custom orders and cannot find a fault on them, outstanding instruments. Price is very high though but you get what you pay for
Yeah, the guitars coming out since '17 or so since the move to Tokyo (and the E serials) have been on another level IMHO. Kiso and Sado built guitars before that were hit or miss in my experience.

The Tokyo ones are works of art.

Yeah, the guitars coming out since '17 or so since the move to Tokyo (and the E serials) have been on another level IMHO. Kiso and Sado built guitars before that were hit or miss in my experience.

The Tokyo ones are works of art.
Yeah completely agree, Kiso have made some amazing guitars and they have a lot of mojo (maybe more than newer ones) but the 2017 onwards builds are just one another level, they are absolutely immaculate in every aspect.

Back