ESP "The Eclipse Custom", is this Japanese or USA?

The seller had this listed as a 1986 ESP The Eclipse Custom, but after pulling the pickups I found that the body is marked as "NY 6184". Not an ESP aficionado so thought I'd put it here. Also, the neck is stamped at the very top fret "324". Thanks for the insight.

Attachments

• ESP 3.png
    ESP 3.png
    478.1 KB · Views: 148
  • ESP 4.png
    ESP 4.png
    561.9 KB · Views: 149
I thought I remembered something about that but for some reason I was thinking they were just assembled there with japanese parts

I could be wrong but I don't think USA ESP's existed in the 80's. Gotta be Japanese
The USA part was 48th Street custom guitars. Most were shipped there as they were the main dealer at the time and then as posted above, they did some assembly there as well.

IMO these were the best ESP's every made. I had two Horizons from 48th street, one being a factory second where the binding had prematurely aged, and according to them was to go to one of the guys in Queensryche but the binding was jacked. They had tucked it in a case and were sending it back to Japan when I bought it site unseen. Best guitar I ever owned.

The original runs of Horizons, Mirage Customs, Mirage Deluxes, Eclipses's, M1's...all with the Jackson Lawsuit headstock were straight up incredible guitars.

To @Neoclassical.Sucubus you won't find a better made ESP than that in my opinion. However take note, that guitar has the original ESP Sinclair Floyd Rose on it. "If" all the parts are still intact it's IMO the best Floyd Rose ever made. It's smaller, more compact, top locking and much easier on the palm of your hand...really just a fantastic version of a Floyd. The issue is it uses little plates to sit on top of the string when locking down...at least that's the best I could describe it. Lose those plates and it can be an issue locking the string down. I remember first time taking one to my tech and was dude, you cannot lose these. Regardless it's still my favorite version of a Floyd.

Last edited:
The USA part was 48th Street custom guitars. Most were shipped there as they were the main dealer at the time and then as posted above, they did some assembly there as well.

IMO these were the best ESP's every made. I had two Horizons from 48th street, one being a factory second where the binding had prematurely aged, and according to them was to go to one of the guys in Queensryche but the binding was jacked. They had tucked it in a case and were sending it back to Japan when I bought it site unseen. Best guitar I ever owned.

The original runs of Horizons, Mirage Customs, Mirage Deluxes, Eclipses's, M1's...all with the Jackson Lawsuit headstock were straight up incredible guitars.

To @Neoclassical.Sucubus you won't find a better made ESP than that in my opinion. However take note, that guitar has the original ESP Sinclair Floyd Rose on it. "If" all the parts are still intact it's IMO the best Floyd Rose ever made. It's smaller, more compact, top locking and much easier on the palm of your hand...really just a fantastic version of a Floyd. The issue is it uses little plates to sit on top of the string when locking down...at least that's the best I could describe it. Lose those plates and it can be an issue locking the string down. I remember first time taking one to my tech and was dude, you cannot lose these. Regardless it's still my favorite version of a Floyd.
Thank you . The Sinclair trem is complete on this guitar, bar is safe in the original hard shell case. The Sinclair and the Floyd are very similar, major difference is the SInclair uses allen screws that screw down from the top to secure your string, rather than from behind on a Floyd.

I do my own work so I don't have to worry about anyone losing anything from it lol . And she's no case queen either, gets played often!

Thank you . The Sinclair trem is complete on this guitar, bar is safe in the original hard shell case. The Sinclair and the Floyd are very similar, major difference is the SInclair uses allen screws that screw down from the top to secure your string, rather than from behind on a Floyd.

I do my own work so I don't have to worry about anyone losing anything from it lol . And she's no case queen either, gets played often!
Yep top locking. Loved the Sinclair in fact I bought a spare years ago when I owned all my ESP's to have as backup. It's in storage somewhere as like a complete idiot I sold all my original ESP's. I had two Horizon's and a Mirage Custom (serial # 350), they're floating around out there somewhere. The factory second Horizon and the Mirage I rue the day I sold those. The other Horizon I never bonded with that one plus the Sinclair Floyd was counter sunk which oddly I didn't like on those guitars.

Weak point in the Sinclair imho are the studs and the string locking mechanism. Have gotten multiple strings breaks at the bridge right where the screw contacts the strings. You have to really tighten the screws hard to avoid it coming loose or slipping but at the same time that increases chances of a break...

Weak point in the Sinclair imho are the studs and the string locking mechanism. Have gotten multiple strings breaks at the bridge right where the screw contacts the strings. You have to really tighten the screws hard to avoid it coming loose or slipping but at the same time that increases chances of a break...
As long as the little plates are there I never had issue with my Sinclair. Now if the little plates are gone that go between the string and screw, yep it's going to be an issue.

As long as the little plates are there I never had issue with my Sinclair. Now if the little plates are gone that go between the string and screw, yep it's going to be an issue.
Didn't know there was supposed to be plates between the string and screw? None of my ESPs came with them (but bought them all used so of course doesn't mean much). If you don't mind could you share how they look like? That would be great if it would solve that issue!

Hmm...let me see if I can explain. My spare is locked up in storage so kinda of a pain to dig that one out or I'd just show you. Here's a pic I got off line though.

On the bridge, where the allen screws lock the string down...if you completely unscrew them is there a little tiny circular piece of metal or plate sitting there? So you slide your string under that plate, then lock the allen screw down on top of the plate. That way the little plate is applying all the pressure. In this photo here you can see the little nub of three plates. The other three do not have them. You can kinda get away with not having them on the larger gauge strings but IMO they are a must to prevent slippage on the smaller gauge strings. Other than those things I love the original Sinclair. The next version of the Sinclair had the regular floyd rose lock blocks.

Basically if you unscrew the allen screw all the way those things will fall out which was the big drawback of the Sinclair.
sinclair.png

Ah damn thanks for that - makes sense to use these on the unwound strings. Hmm going to be looking for some but I suspect they will be extremely hard to find... not of my sinclairs have them

Back