EVH 100 - Sound issue - maybe tube?

Wayniac3

I got one of these in trade, and though I love the amount of sustain without fizz, it just isn't quite my sound or feel.

It sounds clear and articulate, but if I bump it up to past about 1/3 power (this f**ker is LOUD), I get weird modulation on the notes (like the mids are fighting with the highs, or kind of a cocked wah tonality) - it's especialy evident on the red channel. Green is nice, blue is good "chunka" rock rhythms. I'm going into the matching EVH 4x12 with original speakers, using superstrats with p'ups ranging from vintage Duncan distortion, Suhr Aldridge, and a vintage JBJ - and an LP with Aldridges. THe amp is very sensitive to the pickup input levels for sure.

Wondering what you guys are using for boosts, or how you are EQ'ing.

Thanks

After playing it more last night, I cannot dial this out.
Besides that - I like the amp - clean is good, crunch is nice, and lead is good - and for how high gain you can get it - it's pretty damn quiet.
Taking a look while I'm playing, all tubes are glowing except one - I believe it is the phase inverter.
Should that normally be glowing? Could that be causing the "squishiness" I am hearing in the tone?

http://support.evhgear.com/schematics/E ... eChart.pdf

Try swapping around some preamp tubes and see if it changes. I really like my EVH 100 although mine is the Stealth.

Back