EVH Iconic 15 Watt combo

SonOfMI

I had one of the 80 watt heads, liked it, but sold it because I kept going back to my 5153 6L6 most of the time. The channel switching worked better for me. Has anyone played one of the new Iconic 15 watt 1x10 combo? I’ve been waiting for them to be in stock at one of the GC around me or Righteous Guitars, but nothing yet. I’m wondering how well they keep up in a band since 15 watts of tube can be much louder than 15 watts of SS. At 30 some pounds this would be easier to lug around than a head and cab.

Well the regular EVH LBX does not keep up with a band at 15W as well. Even through a 4x12. So I doubt a 1x10 combo will.

i dont know of any band a 15w 1x10 combo is working, if i saw a dude setting up his 1x10 combo id be heading for the bar

Well the regular EVH LBX does not keep up with a band at 15W as well. Even through a 4x12. So I doubt a 1x10 combo will.
Last month I did a small bar gig with the Lunchbox head and a 1x12 cab, kept up with the drummer just fine, I mic the cab into the p.a. and was plenty loud for the room, IEM's work great if you have a problem hearing yourself.

I was hoping they would turn the LBX into a 1x12 combo with reverb, I would be all over that.

Last month I did a small bar gig with the Lunchbox head and a 1x12 cab, kept up with the drummer just fine, I mic the cab into the p.a. and was plenty loud for the room, IEM's work great if you have a problem hearing yourself.
Oh, but it did have help from the PA. I was referring more to band practice where it's the amp on its own.

I've had a few lunchbox amps: LBX 1, LBX 2, Dark Terror, and Krank Rev Jr. There have been times where they could be heard over a drummer. Out of those, the loudest have been the EVH's for sure. But it also depends on how hard the drummer hits. Most of my drummers have been super loud. But even if the drummer hits more moderately (I personally hate "metal" drummers that hit like they're afraid to ruin their manicure), mini amps never sounded good at those levels. Either thin and brittle with no bass, farty, or both.

Also depends on how efficient the speaker is. A V30 is twice as loud as a Greenback. And the amp in question has a 10" which are even quieter.

Also, depends on what tone you're going for. I personally don't like the sound of 1x12's for anything other than like quiet bedroom practice and jamming.

I'd rather not risk it, myself.

Last edited:
The price is the problem , the price is about $100.00 cheaper than the 40 watt , I think the 15 watt retails for $799.00 and the 40 watt is $899.00.

A 15 watt is never going to sound like a 50 or 100 watt through a 4x12 but, a 15 watt amp in a small bar or restaurant is more than plenty.

A 15 watt is never going to sound like a 50 or 100 watt through a 4x12 but, a 15 watt amp in a small bar or restaurant is more than plenty.

People would be surprised just how good these low watt amps can sound .

The below is an example of a 1 WATT JMP and a 1 WATT JCM 800 .

The below is an example of a 1 WATT JMP played through a 4x12 .

Reactions: Geo
I guess it depends on what you're playint through them. Thinking it's a 5150, I was thinking more metal-oriented stuff with fast palm-muted riffs where you want a low end that hits you in the gut.

15-watt amps at those levels don't do that. You can tell that from the video just as he starts playing the Megadeth riff. Is it you?

But you're right, the other possibility is EVH stuff.

I've heard the MT15 does it. But IME, the LBX's don't. I've had two versions. Yes, they sounded great recorded relatively loud, but not band-level loud. And the LBX 1 sounded great quiet for loud TV volume practice.

Last edited:
People would be surprised just how good these low watt amps can sound .

The below is an example of a 1 WATT JMP and a 1 WATT JCM 800 .

The below is an example of a 1 WATT JMP played through a 4x12 .

Really cool for practicing, too bad they don't make them any more.

Oh, but it did have help from the PA. I was referring more to band practice where it's the amp on its own.

I've had a few lunchbox amps: LBX 1, LBX 2, Dark Terror, and Krank Rev Jr. There have been times where they could be heard over a drummer. Out of those, the loudest have been the EVH's for sure. But it also depends on how hard the drummer hits. Most of my drummers have been super loud. But even if the drummer hits more moderately (I personally hate "metal" drummers that hit like they're afraid to ruin their manicure), mini amps never sounded good at those levels. Either thin and brittle with no bass, farty, or both.

Also depends on how efficient the speaker is. A V30 is twice as loud as a Greenback. And the amp in question has a 10" which are even quieter.

Also, depends on what tone you're going for. I personally don't like the sound of 1x12's for anything other than like quiet bedroom practice and jamming.

I'd rather not risk it, myself.
I used a EVM12L, high efficient speaker, way louder than a greenback or v30, drummer is a moderate hitter

A 15w will keep up if you jam with The Chipmunks.
I don’t think so

1681255461576.jpeg

Back