EVH LBX-Stealth vs. MT15

krb813

I’m looking at both of the amps and was hoping some of you nice people on here could give me some guidance in terms of which way to go with my purchase. I don’t have a place to try them out locally. So, I will have to purchase online. I play old metal like Priest, some newer stuff like Megadeth and I do like a little of EVH.

The MT5 will be too modern I think. The volume taper sucks too.
it did not last long here.

Haven't tried the LBX, but an EVH 5153 50W 6l6 has been here the longest.

Reactions: Geo
I had the LBX II for a few months. Odd amp imho. It was too loud to play at home but not loud enough to play with a drummer in my experience. I thought I was getting away with getting a cheap amp that I could use at home and to jam with people. Ended up not using it either place

I think it's worth it to step up to the 50w. Actually easier to run low volume then most lunchboxes I've tried.
The 5153 50 6l6 is BEAST that can do 80s really well and then go balls out ultra tight modern (not my thing, but does it in spades) at bedroom volume.

I think it's worth it to step up to the 50w. Actually easier to run low volume then most lunchboxes I've tried.
The 5153 50 6l6 is BEAST that can do 80s really well and then go balls out ultra tight modern (not my thing, but does it in spades) at bedroom volume.

Normally ur right but in this particular instance the lbx STEALTH, not the other 2, has a great volume taper.

The 50w stealth volume taper was the worst of the 5150iii ive tried. Volume pot in the loop fixed it.

Normally ur right but in this particular instance the lbx STEALTH, not the other 2, has a great volume taper.

The 50w stealth volume taper was the worst of the 5150iii ive tried. Volume pot in the loop fixed it.
Yeah, don't know about stealth but no issue with taper or low volume with the 5153 50 6l6.

The MT15 is a actually a pretty nice little amp but the main problem I see with it for your needs is that it’s too dark sounding. I play a lot of power metal and I guess what I’d call melodic speed/thrash and for that kind of thing a dark tone just doesn’t seem right to me.

I had an MT15 briefly and was surprised I basically had to run the presence wide open and the treble pretty high to get some brighter cut out of it and even then with a boost it just sounded like I was fighting the way the amp was voiced.

MT-15 all the way all day. It can be brightened up easily with some knob tweaking and now they are being made with 5881's rather than 6L6's. My version is a 6L6 and it can get plenty bright if I want it to. Best bang for the buck amp out there IMO. My volume taper is fine so I can crack it open to whisper quiet or crank it and get it loud if I need to go there. Beautiful cleans and gain sounds. That would be my choice. YMMV

I had both, and liked both. They aren't THAT different. The LBX is a little drier and squishier feeling, while the MT15 essentially sounds like a boosted recto. Ultimately, I think I preferred the MT15, but I am playing modern metal, so consider that. I would tend to agree with the 50 watt comment, though. For the prices they are these days, it makes sense to just go with that. Great volume tapers, sound great at home, studio, and stage. I doubt I will try any more lunchbox amps, will probably just get another 50 if I need something smaller.

Back