EVH Striped : verdict?

lettmusic

Been eyeing the EVH Striped red since they debuted at NAMM, but i ended up getting a 7-string. Now I'm getting ready to check the eVH out again.
I've seen some of you guys here have it, some since it came out. what's your verdict after owning it awhile now? I'm most interested in the neck and how it performs
Thanks for any review.

There's a guy on the JCF who did a detailed comparison of the EVH vs the Charvel Art series. You might want to check that out..

journeyman73":ysazgb4v said:
i tried one and wanted to like it nut the fret ends were just horrible on the 2 i tried

And when that 20 minutes of work was done to fix, what did you think of them? :)

I liked mine, played pretty close to a MIJ San Dimas I had. Filed down the frets at the ends and it was a good player. Stayed in tune and the neck was nice...I just sold it last week because I grabbed another MIJ Charvel and I also have a Charvel Custom Shop...I'd buy another if the mood strikes. Good guitar.

journeyman73":t1wxsypz said:
lots of options off the rack that dont require any further investment - didnt like it enough, i guess

Lots of options off the rack that are replicas of Eddies striped guitars? Eddies lawyers are going to be busy with all those cease and desist letters! :LOL: :LOL:

The fret ends issue with oil finished necks will normally rear its ugly head one time. Other companies don't deal with this because they almost all spray some sort of sealer on their necks. Whether it's a satin finish or not, it will never feel as good as an oil finished neck. The oil finished neck will shrink and swell a little bit with weather. As soon as it has shrunk more than it was on the day those frets were filed, the ends will poke out a little. If you hit them one time when they are like this, in the future, when the neck contracts a little, the frets will have been taken care of. And for forever after that oil finished neck will feel better (IMO) than anything else available.

I own the red stripe.

First, you fell that it is economy class. The neck is pretty slim and has nothing in common with the evh/Wolfgang shapes. But it's not bad at all. I kinda like it.
The Floyd isn't the best. It took me some time to adjust it properly. Now it works flawless. It needs a little love.
I you buy it new you have to tight the screws. On my guitar they where all loose.

The poti on this guitar is the best poti I ever had. It works fantastic!
And the overall sound is for my taste only WOW!!!! Ok, searched for a guitar to sound like that. It's not warm sounding. It's trebly with a quick respond and the pickup sounds crisp. Like I wanted it.

It an amazing guitar for such little bucks. Now it only has to grow up and show some "living" on the neck and body. It looks awful brand new with the high gloss lacquer. The neck is aging pretty fast due to its light wax finish.

Chubtone":3vpowpyl said:
journeyman73":3vpowpyl said:
lots of options off the rack that dont require any further investment - didnt like it enough, i guess

Lots of options off the rack that are replicas of Eddies striped guitars? Eddies lawyers are going to be busy with all those cease and desist letters! :LOL: :LOL:

The fret ends issue with oil finished necks will normally rear its ugly head one time. Other companies don't deal with this because they almost all spray some sort of sealer on their necks. Whether it's a satin finish or not, it will never feel as good as an oil finished neck. The oil finished neck will shrink and swell a little bit with weather. As soon as it has shrunk more than it was on the day those frets were filed, the ends will poke out a little. If you hit them one time when they are like this, in the future, when the neck contracts a little, the frets will have been taken care of. And for forever after that oil finished neck will feel better (IMO) than anything else available.

the fact that it has some sort of replica finish is cool but not the driving factor for me.

i have other oil necks that never had this problem. maybe i was just lucky with my other ones.

like i said, i just didnt like the guitar enough to buy one. great others are liking theirs.

I had the charvel art series for a while and it was a slamming guitar . can't say enough good about it .

I played an EVH "striped " guitar at guitar center and it was disappointing to say the least ,frets were terrible ,it wouldn't stay in tune and the tone just sucked IMO . most or all of this could be fixed in 1/2 hour and I guess its not really fair to compare a custom shop guitar to a budget guitar . Also have to keep in mind that it was set up by a GC monkey . All that being said ,I wouldn't buy one for what they ask . If I could find one fro about $400 then maybe .

Chubtone":1x5vme2m said:
journeyman73":1x5vme2m said:

Thanks for sharing that info Chub.
I thought that was a "push it through the assembly line" issue.
Easy fix,
Thanks brudda :thumbsup:

Bato":qhrejgsi said:
I own the red stripe.

First, you fell that it is economy class. The neck is pretty slim and has nothing in common with the evh/Wolfgang shapes. But it's not bad at all. I kinda like it.
The Floyd isn't the best. It took me some time to adjust it properly. Now it works flawless. It needs a little love.
I you buy it new you have to tight the screws. On my guitar they where all loose.

The poti on this guitar is the best poti I ever had. It works fantastic!
And the overall sound is for my taste only WOW!!!! Ok, searched for a guitar to sound like that. It's not warm sounding. It's trebly with a quick respond and the pickup sounds crisp. Like I wanted it.

It an amazing guitar for such little bucks. Now it only has to grow up and show some "living" on the neck and body. It looks awful brand new with the high gloss lacquer. The neck is aging pretty fast due to its light wax finish.
Thanks for the thorough review. I like the neck and the finish, would have to put in a neck pup for sure though

Back