Exciting and nerve racking... my 2nd guitar lesson ever!!!

mystixboi

Super stoked... I'm lucky to have the opportunity to take a guitar lesson from Reb Beach tomorrow!!! I've been playing for over 34 years. I grew up during the hair metal hey day and then grunge. Reb has always been a monster and even though Winger has gotten a bad rep, they absolutely kill live.

Obviously I'm going to ask him for tapping tips. What else should I ask him?

I always like knowing what the true ‘pros’ do to warm up before a show - is it just random, improvised licks and riffing, or do they have a short ‘routine’ to get the blood flowing and the right and left hands in sync.

I would definitely want to spend some portion of the lesson time discussing rhythm playing - good lord, the verse section riff to Madeline is still one of my all time favorite heavy / groovy rhythm riffs.

I‘d also be curious about his perspective / experience / thoughts on staying alive and relevant in the music industry.

Have a BLAST - can’t wait to hear the report!!!

Last edited:
I always like knowing what the true ‘pros’ do to warm up before a show - is it just random, improvised licks and riffing, or do they have a short ‘routine’ to get the blood flowing and the right and left hands in sync.

I would definitely want to spend some portion of the lesson time discussing rhythm playing - good lord, the verse section riff to Madeline is still one of my all time favorite heavy / groovy rhythm riffs.

I‘d also be curious about his perspective / experience / thoughts on staying alive and relevant in the music industry.

Have a BAST - can’t wait to hear the report!!!
These are great!!! Ill definitely report back

Reactions: PDC
I played with John Roth back in the day. He plays rhythm for Winger, since “Pull” in 1993. Learned a lot from him.

Reactions: PDC
Wow, very cool. That would be an awesome day.

Not sure what I’d ask him. Perhaps whatever you’re struggling with right now or how to get over a plateau.

Ask him about his setup. 9’s or 10’s, action high or low. What pick dies he favor.

How about his live rig? Does he have one in US and an identical one he leaves stored in Europe?

Pedalboard?

Gear, gear, gear

Reactions: Geo
Ask him if he's ever met Mike Judge. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, love Reb!
Him, Vito Bratta, and Steve Lynch are the melodic tapping kings in my book.

Have a blast!

Ask him about his setup. 9’s or 10’s, action high or low. What pick dies he favor.

How about his live rig? Does he have one in US and an identical one he leaves stored in Europe?

Pedalboard?

Gear, gear, gear
His Favorite Pick/Picks is the Orange .60mm Tortex but he has been known to use the .73mm Yellow Tortex on Occasion.

Last edited:
this is really cool...
curious how this evolved for you....if you can share

Of course. I was listening to a podcast he was on and the interviewer asked what he's been up to during covid. one of the things he listed was giving lessons. i did a quick search online and just emailed him. this was a few weeks back. we had to wait until he was done a bunch of shows and back at home before we could schedule it

Dude that is great!! So it’s online then? In person would be mind blowing.
either way freaking awesome!!
He was a big influence to me back In the day.

Back