Experimenting with the Mesa Studio Preamp

That was fuckin' sick!
Thanks dude!

Sounds great, so just a speaker IR and no power amp sim?
Yup. I tried to use with my Mesa 50/50 but it was fizzy as fuck and the highs were killing me, I ended up liking without, just straight to interface with IRs best. I may try again a power amp at another time. Some of my amps sound like shit thru a loadbox and IR's, I have a Sunn Enforcer that falls into that camp too. I love how it sounds thru a cab but when I try to capture with a loadbox, sounds like huge undefined turd :ROFLMAO:

Thanks dude!

Yup. I tried to use with my Mesa 50/50 but it was fizzy as fuck and the highs were killing me, I ended up liking without, just straight to interface with IRs best. I may try again a power amp at another time. Some of my amps sound like shit thru a loadbox and IR's, I have a Sunn Enforcer that falls into that camp too. I love how it sounds thru a cab but when I try to capture with a loadbox, sounds like huge undefined turd :ROFLMAO:

I was considering getting a Mesa 50/50 yesterday actually, but decided to pass. Sounds like that might have been a good move.

Damn dude!!! Another awesome video from you! I’ve lurked on here for awhile, and honestly, the main reason I got a profile was to tell you how awesome your “shit” is !!! Keep em coming!!! p.s loved the Ministry feel to that riff!! 🤘🤘

Smiled the whole way thru. Thanks for making my morning.
Right on brother :rock:

I was considering getting a Mesa 50/50 yesterday actually, but decided to pass. Sounds like that might have been a good move.
If I were to dive into rack as my main gear I would invest in Fryette for sure but this was a feeler thing for me. The part that sucks is i'm sure the tubes are old as fck, and I'm not sure if re-tubing would help a lot or very little.

YES!!! Another killer vid/clip! Seven thumbs up! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks Beyond Black :rock:
Beast af man! Also that bullit mustang!
Thanks man. Dude I know, as a young pimple faced teen all I ever wanted was a GT fastback :cheers:

I want to go start a car chase now all of a sudden.
Fck yeah Bobby! Lol!
Damn dude!!! Another awesome video from you! I’ve lurked on here for awhile, and honestly, the main reason I got a profile was to tell you how awesome your “shit” is !!! Keep em coming!!! p.s loved the Ministry feel to that riff!! 🤘🤘
Wow thanks bro, that is quite the compliment. Glad you dig it! Yeah man, every so often I get into a Ministry mode, I'm a fan for sure :rock:
That sounded absolutely mint! Never heard a studio pre sound that angry!? Are you boosting it with a TS9, like the picture at the start of the clip would suggest?
Cheers

Luke
Thanks Luke! Yup boosting with the Maxon modded OD9. It takes all my boost well so far. This preamp is still new to me and am surprised how versatile it is. I dig it.

Every time I see a Studio Pre show up, I get a sick feeling in my gut then unfold a paper clip and shove it up under my fingernails.

My dad bought one for me when I was in high school, around ‘97. I had no clue how to use it or hook it up and after running it directly into a Fender Champ 25 and it sounded like complete ass, I put it on EBay for $150. It was gone in about 30 minutes. Forever.

The sick feeling is the reminder of me giving it up so easily and the paper clip under my fingernails is to punish myself for doing so.

Every time I see a Studio Pre show up, I get a sick feeling in my gut then unfold a paper clip and shove it up under my fingernails.

My dad bought one for me when I was in high school, around ‘97. I had no clue how to use it or hook it up and after running it directly into a Fender Champ 25 and it sounded like complete ass, I put it on EBay for $150. It was gone in about 30 minutes. Forever.

The sick feeling is the reminder of me giving it up so easily and the paper clip under my fingernails is to punish myself for doing so.
Dude... Yeah I think that would haunt me a little also...

Cool vid man.

Apparently using the effects send is the best way to run these into a poweramp. Just what I've heard. There are a few different outs on these things right??

Cool vid man.

Apparently using the effects send is the best way to run these into a poweramp. Just what I've heard. There are a few different outs on these things right??
Yeah I've definitely tested a few things. There are main outs, recording outs and the fx send. When playing thru a cab with poweramp I like the send best, its crisp and more pronounced I feel. When direct recording it felt too much high end and liked the main outs which seemed to smooth it out a bit. I didn't care for the recording outs at all, very muddy to my ears.

I had a studio pre and now have a quad. Love it! And the Studio was great too. Ch 1 lead on the quad is the most amazing mix of compression and liquid but at the same time it‘s still raw and dynamic. A total dichotomy. Never heard an amp do anything quite like it.

Sounds awesome.

Just bought one on these (don't have it yet). Will be giving it a go through an old Mesa M180 power amp (monoblock that seems at least similar to the Coliseum power section).

From the schematic, it looks like going from the FX send to the power amp is going to be most similar to how the Mark amps feed the preamp signal to the power amp.

Only difference essentially is the GEQ is in the preamp instead of the power section.

From the schematic as best I can read it (which admitted might not be well), in both cases the GEQ is after all the preamp gain stages and essentially dumps right into the power amp from there (assuming you use the FX send of the Studio Pre. There is extra stuff happening if you use any of the other outs).

Back