Fartin woke up from coma

This sounds good to me, but probably boosted. Sounds really good toward the end as he turns the volume on the amp up.
The Bones I had sounded nothing like this. Not even close. The one I had was like MAYBE classic rock levels of gain and very round/loose and wooly sounding.

This sounds good to me, but probably boosted. Sounds really good toward the end as he turns the volume on the amp up.
The Bones I had sounded nothing like this. Not even close. The one I had was like MAYBE classic rock levels of gain and very round/loose and wooly sounding.

That’s exactly my experience with the amp. Very round sound, which I love for lead playing, but not great for rhythm.
If you were doing Allman Brothers tunes it would be good.

That’s exactly my experience with the amp. Very round sound, which I love for lead playing, but not great for rhythm.
If you were doing Allman Brothers tunes it would be good.

Yeah kinda. It has a good sound for rock. Nice and thick and chunky in some ways. But just not aggressive enough for my tastes. I need more of that angry snarl other similar amps have. Big Wreck uses a Bones. You can see it in the video for this song. It does sound good in this context. If I had kept it, I would have modified it to more angry while still retaining its inherent timbre and I think it would have been really nice. Needed a tweak to the tone stack, NFB circuit, and those first two stages and could have been a screamer.

Yeah kinda. It has a good sound for rock. Nice and thick and chunky in some ways. But just not aggressive enough for my tastes. I need more of that angry snarl other similar amps have. Big Wreck uses a Bones. You can see it in the video for this song. It does sound good in this context. If I had kept it, I would have modified it to more angry while still retaining its inherent timbre and I think it would have been really nice. Needed a tweak to the tone stack, NFB circuit, and those first two stages and could have been a screamer.

I LOVE Big Wreck. Ian is a great player.
Actually saw them open for Viscous Rumours when they were a new band around 93 maybe? They blew me away. I always associate his tone with the Prescription Electronics Experience pedal. He uses that a lot. Great sound.

Anybody know what amp is on top with the black panel? I know it's not a Bones. Can't make out the name by the input.

EDIT:
Found it. "Bonehead"
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/nad.138658/

Last edited:

Sounds like something was wrong with the amp/batch. Isn’t it supposed to be metal machine?

Sounds like something was wrong with the amp/batch. Isn’t it supposed to be metal machine?

Nah, I don't think they were intended to be "metal" per se. More like modern rock. But the timbre of the amp is just kinda... wooly/hairy and round with a softer attack. It's pleasant sounding, but think like... Big Wreck, Matchbox 20, Porcupine Tree, etc.

Nah, I don't think they were intended to be "metal" per se. More like modern rock. But the timbre of the amp is just kinda... wooly/hairy and round with a softer attack. It's pleasant sounding, but think like... Big Wreck, Matchbox 20, Porcupine Tree, etc.
I am surprised tbh

No AJFA = no good lol

Anybody know what amp is on top with the black panel? I know it's not a Bones. Can't make out the name by the input.

EDIT:
Found it. "Bonehead"
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/nad.138658/

That was the iteration before the Fortin bones. It was basically a JCM800+ in a Fortin chassis. Basically he took his Marshall mod and it became that amp you see above. It’s only one channel and is just the high gain design/setup of the Fortin bones that came later.

I played a Fortin bones at James Lugo’s amp fest a long time ago and remember liking it for solo playing but it didn’t have a lot of aggression. It was super easy to play and it sustained great. It had a shit ton of gain - way more than classic rock levels. Kinda has my head scratching why there was so much variance in this thread on that?

Back