Favorite clipping circuit components and characteristics

VaporDemon

What are some of your favorite diodes and or tansistors and combinations for clipping circuits and why? How are you combining them and where in the amp circuit are you placing the clipper? Just trying to get a feel for the range of combinations everyone uses and the thought process behind it. I am using a 2 way in my current amp project with an off middle position on the 3 way switch using a symmetrical 1n914 diode pair and a pair of MPSA06’s for the other in a cathode follower pre tone stack. Looking for suggestions to try new combinations or components as I search for my tone.

Well, it's not so simple. They all work better, or worse depending what circuit they are in.

For Jose style amps this is what I've come up with:
clip.jpg

The Asymmetry switch is a on-off, the switch between the MPSA06, and 2n5400 is a on-off-on.

If the on-off-on switch is "off" then only the 20v zeners are engaged. This would be the least amount of clipping an is the most "classic" sounding mode.

If the on-off Asymmetry switch is on, and the on-off-on switch is on either the MPSA06's, or 2n5400's. This is like a Modern/Classic kind of mode, nice clipping but still open.

If the on-off Asymmetry switch is off, and the on-off-on switch is on either the MPSA06's, or 2n5400's. This is more Modern, and compressed.

Thanks for giving me some ideas and options to think about. Still I’m the process of trying some different components, values, and locations. So far I have not tried the 20v zener type yet. I do have a switch to change from silicon diodes to mpsa06. To my ears the silicon diodes kill a lot of top end and affect the upper mid response but when I want a modern high gain tone and want a more saturated tone the silicon seems to add more clipping. I have also tried adding a clipping circuit at the master while also at the follower and that really makes for some amazing palm muting. Will have to keep experimenting. I haven’t even started getting into trying different values for the cap in the clippers yet so seems like I’ve got a long road ahead. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for giving me some ideas and options to think about. Still I’m the process of trying some different components, values, and locations. So far I have not tried the 20v zener type yet. I do have a switch to change from silicon diodes to mpsa06. To my ears the silicon diodes kill a lot of top end and affect the upper mid response but when I want a modern high gain tone and want a more saturated tone the silicon seems to add more clipping. I have also tried adding a clipping circuit at the master while also at the follower and that really makes for some amazing palm muting. Will have to keep experimenting. I haven’t even started getting into trying different values for the cap in the clippers yet so seems like I’ve got a long road ahead. Thanks again!
. Are you talking regular silicon diodes and not zeners or are you running really low voltage zeners? You should really be running 11v -20v zeners that will not be more saturated or less high end than an MPSA06.

Stay away from regular diodes and use zeners. They do not function the same. The 1n4747 will have considerable less gain, less volume drop, and a lot less loss of high end in comparison to the mpsa06

. Are you talking regular silicon diodes and not zeners or are you running really low voltage zeners? You should really be running 11v -20v zeners that will not be more saturated or less high end than an MPSA06.
The ones I run from the cathode follower are actually 1n914 and I’ve just discovered they are zener but not sure on the voltage, the ones i tried from the master volume are 1n4747a and are 20v zener diodes so I was mistaken. I’m new to some of this so I need to do more research and read my data sheets. As far as the tonal difference the 1n914 definitely has more volume drop and seems to clip more unless I have a damaged component somewhere.

The ones I run from the cathode follower are actually 1n914 and I’ve just discovered they are zener but not sure on the voltage, the ones i tried from the master volume are 1n4747a and are 20v zener diodes so I was mistaken. I’m new to some of this so I need to do more research and read my data sheets. As far as the tonal difference the 1n914 definitely has more volume drop and seems to clip more unless I have a damaged component somewhere.
the 1n914 is a switching diode not a zener and have an extremely low clipping threshold. Is you master volume pre tone stack?

How do I connect the two 1N4747 diodes in a Jose master, my diodes are dark yellowish with a small black marking on one of the sides.
Are the black markings supposed to face eachother or is it the other way around?
Hope you understand what I `m trying to say :)

How do I connect the two 1N4747 diodes in a Jose master, my diodes are dark yellowish with a small black marking on one of the sides.
Are the black markings supposed to face eachother or is it the other way around?
Hope you understand what I `m trying to say :)
The black bands can either face each other, or be on opposite ends. It will work either way.
Technically, it shouldn't matter which way you do it, but i hear a slight difference in tone each way.
Can't say one direction is better than the other, just different.
Put 2 configurations on an ON / ON mini switch to quickly A/B them.
If you wait to solder each one into the circuit, you wont get the effect.
Same goes for testing symetrical / asymetrical clipping, although that difference is far easier to hear.

the 1n914 is a switching diode not a zener and have an extremely low clipping threshold. Is you master volume pre tone stack?
My master is post tone stack. I just realized these are run in parallel not end to end like a true Jose clipper so I’m going to be ordering some more parts. I may do

I like 20v 1n4747a in my jet city. In Marshall’s I like asymmetrical but I think placement and cap/resistor choice almost overshadow the nuances between different diodes. I’ve yet to find a perfect combination.

1n914 is a switching diode not a zener
Thanks I did eventually figure that out. I have so many components and spec sheets saved in a folder on my pc that I somehow clicked on the wrong one and read zener. The circuit I got that for was a design from someone that does amp mods and it did work for clipping however I’m still trying different combinations of parts to find the ones that I like most.

Back