Favorite Flying V pickups

fearhk213

Inspired by the current Flying V thread, I thought I'd post a thread to see what pickups you all like in your V's. I find they're sometimes a little more particular about pickups than your typical super strat or single cut. Here are some I've tried over the years that I thought were good:

MCP Black Iron
Wagner Icebucker
MCP T-Wreck
EMG 81

The Suhr Aldrich Bridge/Neck set. Put those in my Gibson Flying V and it kept its brightness but its a much beefier sounding guitar now.

Wolfetone Marshallheads in my 80’s V (not sure if it matters but they have Alder bodies) and an old Dimarzio SD in my 2k’s V bridge. Little hotter but doesn’t seem to have the ”peaky” midrange of post 80’s SD’s. Not into any super hot metal pickups.

Inspired by the current Flying V thread, I thought I'd post a thread to see what pickups you all like in your V's. I find they're sometimes a little more particular about pickups than your typical super strat or single cut. Here are some I've tried over the years that I thought were good:

MCP Black Iron
Wagner Icebucker
MCP T-Wreck
EMG 81
I had an '05 Gibson, (classic white, and ebony fretboard), for about 7 years, and I put Duncan Distortions in it. It was a match made in heaven. Absolutely screamed, and quite frankly one of the best sounding guitars I ever owned. It was tonal perfection.

Alnico Pro II in the neck.
I found that one way too mellow. It's warm, sure, but too smooth for my taste. Maybe it works in a very bright Flying V.

My favourite neck pickup in a Flying V -and one that didn't work so well in a Charvel So-Cal- is the DiMarzio Breed Neck.
Beefy and wide sounding like a Les Paul, but with enough clarity and bell-like tone. Split-tone is also beautiful.
This is in a '67 RI Gibson V, mahogany body and neck with ebony FB.
There's a Super D in the bridge, but I'm still not 100% sold on that. I want something with a bit more beefiness, that also doesn't sound too ceramic or dark when played clean.

I had an Edwards V with those in it. Hated them.
I agree. Don’t like Suhr pickups in general to be honest.

i had a Gibson Antique Natural that sounded like ass no matter what pups I tried. I ran 11 pickups through the bridge before I gave up and sold the guitar.

I have one of the new 70’s Vees that is advertised as having A5 Burstbuckers. I had full intention of yanking them immediately. However, the are hot and perfect sounding. Both the bridge and neck are in 15-16k range. I contacted Gibson to find out what these actually are. They are a new wind and the neck actually meters hotter (16.2k) than the bridge. But they are balanced due to different winding gauges. I freaking love these things.

I had an Edwards V with those in it. Hated them.
I would agree. Playing them through a V or one of my Les Paul’s in a room with no live band they sound like ass. But... Live with band they cut through the mix. I always fall back to a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck...

Back