Favorite speakers for Splawn amps?

donalddemon

Looks like I blew my Small Blocks in my 2x12 and need some replacements. Many years of abuse finally melted them I guess. I think recording my 120w Pro Mod really loud probably did them in. And by really loud I mean master at 2 lol. I was going to go with Scumback BM75s but they seem on hiatus at the moment. I need great speakers for recording, always wished the Small Blocks were a little brighter. A what do you like?

BTW, I have Small Blocks in my 4x12 so I’m looking to try something different, but also something that works great with all kinds of amps, not just Splawns. I also have white label G12T75s in my Marshall 4x12, which are great but more for hard rock/metal.

I like Vintage 30s my self with my Nitro.. but also been wanting to try WGS Retro 30 and WGS Veteran 30.

I've heard good things about the WGS Reaper HP speaker.

Good luck

I like Vintage 30s my self with my Nitro.. but also been wanting to try WGS Retro 30 and WGS Veteran 30.

I've heard good things about the WGS Reaper HP speaker.

Good luck
Thanks, I had a cab with V30's and didn't like it very much with the Splawns. I'll look into the Reapers.

V30's wore on me with my SuperSport (mesa 2X12 recto, great sounding cab )
I tried Creamback m-65's ---- had a boxy tone I couldn't get rid of
Early vented G12T-75's ---- surprisingly really good , these early ones are much better than the current crop ,probably my 2nd favorites behind the Scumbacks.
Greenbacks -- always great with Marshall based circuits but wanted higher wattage capabilities
Scumback M-75 --- very good but with 2 in my splawn 2X12 a little dark
Scumback M75/J75 --- this is where I landed with my 2x12 and my 4X12, a great mix together, nice and open yet still thick mids
and tight enough lows. the Splawn 2X12 is a very bottom heavy cab to begin with so it can get boomy really easily.
I do have a BM-75LD but that is in my 1X12 and it's tough to compare it to the the other cabs.

V30's wore on me with my SuperSport (mesa 2X12 recto, great sounding cab )
I tried Creamback m-65's ---- had a boxy tone I couldn't get rid of
Early vented G12T-75's ---- surprisingly really good , these early ones are much better than the current crop ,probably my 2nd favorites behind the Scumbacks.
Greenbacks -- always great with Marshall based circuits but wanted higher wattage capabilities
Scumback M-75 --- very good but with 2 in my splawn 2X12 a little dark
Scumback M75/J75 --- this is where I landed with my 2x12 and my 4X12, a great mix together, nice and open yet still thick mids
and tight enough lows. the Splawn 2X12 is a very bottom heavy cab to begin with so it can get boomy really easily.
I do have a BM-75LD but that is in my 1X12 and it's tough to compare it to the the other cabs.
Cool, thanks, that's helpful. Jim from Scumback recommended the BM75s (non LD) so that's what I was going to go for but that may not happen. Have to tried the 1x12 with your SS?

I do like the old G12T75s but not with all of my amps. I agree, the Splawn 2x12 has tons of bass and needs a brighter mix of speakers.

Cool, thanks, that's helpful. Jim from Scumback recommended the BM75s (non LD) so that's what I was going to go for but that may not happen. Have to tried the 1x12 with your SS?

I do like the old G12T75s but not with all of my amps. I agree, the Splawn 2x12 has tons of bass and needs a brighter mix of speakers.
yes I use the 1x12 in our smaller rehearsal room. It 's an Avatar 1x12 so it obviously doesn't sound like a Splawn 2X12, I got the LD version because it's only one speaker so I wanted as full a range out of the speaker as I could get. It works :)

yes I use the 1x12 in our smaller rehearsal room. It 's an Avatar 1x12 so it obviously doesn't sound like a Splawn 2X12, I got the LD version because it's only one speaker so I wanted as full a range out of the speaker as I could get. It works :)
Cool, so it's not too dark sounding with the Splawn? Is there a lot less highs than your M75/J75 mix?

I think with my Quickrod I ran Greenbacks, G12H30 annis and early 90s T75s

I think the G12H30s sounded the coolest, but the Greenbacks were also amazing. The T75s were also good, but not as good as the others. I think because the Splawn pumped a lot of low end it just was a little too much.

Looks like I blew my Small Blocks in my 2x12 and need some replacements. Many years of abuse finally melted them I guess. I think recording my 120w Pro Mod really loud probably did them in. And by really loud I mean master at 2 lol. I was going to go with Scumback BM75s but they seem on hiatus at the moment. I need great speakers for recording, always wished the Small Blocks were a little brighter. A what do you like?
I got a pair of WGS BL80 British Leads that will pair very nicely with your Splawn and sound killer if interested, 16ohm $120 shipped

Just a follow-up:

I went with 16 ohm 100 watt 75hz Weber Legacies, one 30 oz. magnet and one 40 oz. magnet to balance out the sweet spot of brightness. I guess this is similar to a J75/M75 mix by similar brands. I went with 100 watts each because my Splawn Pro Mod is 4-KT88's for 120 watts and probably peaks at 180 watts when I'm driving it. I'm surprised I got as many years as I did out of the 55 watt Small Blocks, which were underpowered for that amp. All the other amps I will be using will be between 15-100 watts.

I went to test it with my backup Splawn QR and came to find it was dead and needs repair so I tested it with the Pro Mod and wow...it nails it! Very chewy upper mids and not too bright at all, just the right amount. Going back to the Small Blocks, sounds a little boxy and dark in comparison so I would say it worked out well. Very satisfied so far and CJ from Weber was great to work with. I'll get some clips up eventually.

Now to fix my QR... I'm hoping its the bridge rectifier like Scott said, new one will be here tomorrow. Then I can truly test these Weber's with the band.

^ Thanks for that report.

Glad you found something that works and good to hear about something different.

Good luck on your QR
Thanks. It turns out it was the bridge rectifier that went bad, of which I just replaced. It was a relatively painless procedure, and a cheap fix luckily. I'll get a chance to test the Weber's with QR now, been waiting to hear that since that's the amp I'll use most with them.

Scott walked me through it on the phone. Basically, the amp was turning on but no sound, footswitch wasn't working, and first 2 preamp tubes were not heating up, hence the bridge rectifier diagnosis. None better to ask than the source!

That went on my early Street Rod too.. I screwed up the repair, but luckily a local tech fixed it easily :) Glad you were able to do it. Very cheap fix

Eric

Back