Favorite speakers for Splawn amps?

That went on my early Street Rod too.. I screwed up the repair, but luckily a local tech fixed it easily :) Glad you were able to do it. Very cheap fix

Eric
It's easy to screw up because the legs of the the new rectifier don't match up to the holes on the PCB, on mine at least. I actually went in and redid my soldering a second time because I didn't feel great about my work lol. Hopefully it holds up!

Oh and to update, the Weber's sounds fantastic with the QR, I think I like them better than the Small Blocks that were in there. Very chewy with a great blend of highs and lows. They have that extra bite that the SBs didn't have for me. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has a '09 QR 100w, and initially he had a V30 loaded Bogner 2x12. Ice pick mid city. Ouch. I sold him a pair of Eminence Wizards specifically to use with that amp, and I gotta say it's one of the best speakers I've heard with a QR. His style is very Cantrell oriented, and sounds damn good. Very much preferred his rig to my '10 QR going through a Greenback loaded Marshall 4x12 believe it or not. Your results may vary.

I think the Celestion Anniversary G12H speakers sound amazing with the Quick Rod. I figured they were going to be too bright; nope, the combination is magic.

So I bought the Weber Legacy's for my recording cab (Splawn 2x12) as I am trying to finish my album and I'm finding these sound quite different than the Small Blocks. I've had to change my setup a bit to accommodate and try and match the tones I was getting before with the Small Blocks. The Webers are VERY chewy and grinding in the mid range, and a fair bit brighter. It's been a little frustrating but I'm starting to get them dialed in. I have to use way less gain from the amp as these seem to accentuate the distortion.

I have to say that some people bag on the Small Blocks but they are really a very versatile speaker and have sounded good with every amp I've thrown at them. The Webers are not as forgiving and take some dialing in.

Small Blocks are great if you ask me, I’ve got two loaded in an oversized pine 2x12. I use that cab with a 6505+ doing 80’s 90’s VH/Demartini/wetdry rock sounds. My biggest gripe with G12M’s is that they can be too brash, bright and even harsh in some rigs, Small Blocks don’t do that but the “bark” is still there. It’s like an idealized greenback, in most scenarios it’s the greenback sound I want to hear. Another example like this would be Aldrich/Hot 7 vs a JB.

All that being said, I’m sticking with the G12H Anniversaries for my Quick Rod until further notice. They’re great together.

Small Blocks are great if you ask me, I’ve got two loaded in an oversized pine 2x12. I use that cab with a 6505+ doing 80’s 90’s VH/Demartini/wetdry rock sounds. My biggest gripe with G12M’s is that they can be too brash, bright and even harsh in some rigs, Small Blocks don’t do that but the “bark” is still there. It’s like an idealized greenback, in most scenarios it’s the greenback sound I want to hear. Another example like this would be Aldrich/Hot 7 vs a JB.

All that being said, I’m sticking with the G12H Anniversaries for my Quick Rod until further notice. They’re great together.
Yeah these Webers can be like that. They sound great in the room but under the microscope of a mic (57 or 441) it can be a bit overbearing. I had been recording with almost only the Small Blocks and they sounded great with all of the amps I put them through (Pro Mod, OR15, VTM60, GVT15, Vox Cambridge). I still have a quad of them in my Splawn 4x12 if I want to go back to recording them. Sometimes an "upgrade" is really just a lateral move to something different, and in this case it kind of drastically different and having me rethink my recording setup that I've used all along.

I've never tried the G12H Anniversaries, only G12M and older G12T75's (which are in my other 4x12)

Looks like I blew my Small Blocks in my 2x12 and need some replacements. Many years of abuse finally melted them I guess. I think recording my 120w Pro Mod really loud probably did them in. And by really loud I mean master at 2 lol. I was going to go with Scumback BM75s but they seem on hiatus at the moment. I need great speakers for recording, always wished the Small Blocks were a little brighter. A what do you like?
I use old jcm900 cab

I've got a Creamback 65 in my Street Rod and a Greenback in the matching cab. The combo sounds great!

Mesa Recto 4x12 with Celestion V30, I've done many cab show downs, even rookie players rank it 1 or 2 in the shootout. Hard to beat in the all around time category vs specific tone preferred.

Back