Favorite Tube Screamer for metal?

If my Timmy, TS or Klone of the moment can't get it done, the Way Huge Green Rhino will.
It has a knob to dial down the bass for tightness, and another knob to dial where the mids are, for brightness.
It'll make any amp's flabby ass tighter than a frog's underwater.

I probably have 10-15 different OD pedals, and the Green Rhino MkII is definitely one of my favorites. Not only can you tweak it a lot, but it has a feel to it that kind of blooms with you. So many of the OD pedals (especially those without input/output buffers) can feel really flat. The BYOC Green Pony is another one of my favorites. It is based on the Maxon OD820.

I have several clones as well. I am always building stuff, lol. Partially because of this thread I bought the parts to build clones of a Duncan 805, Savage Drive, and Precision Drive.

Whatever that means lol. Strymon pedals sound amazing to me
Words can only do so much to explain it, but there’s something about it that came off artificial sounding to my ears, kinda like having something with fake vs real sugar or almost like hearing a modeler vs real amp. Pedals tend to be a more subjective area and of course very dependent on the amp and other stuff you’re playing through, so it’s very possible that the strymon works perfectly with what you’re using it through, but I bet if I could hypothetically zero in on all the gear you’re using it with, playing style and what it is specifically that the pedal is doing well in your setup, that I could recommend something that would work as good or better without what I perceive as an inorganic tone, but it seems like most others aren’t as turned off as I am with that less organic tone. From my experience, most pedal companies seem to consistently make pedals of similar quality across their whole line up. For example all the Thorpy pedals I’ve had sounded very organic (but also very noisy), they didn’t sound as pedal like/toy-like (more like an extension of the amp), even though I ultimately just kept one. The strymons consistently had a more processed/recorded tone to my ears. The empress pedals consistently have this clinical quality with ugly artifacts to their tone and so on with other brands having their own general qualities to them. Just my opinion

Last edited:
Words can only do so much to explain it, but there’s something about it that came off artificial sounding to my ears, kinda like having something with fake vs real sugar or almost like hearing a modeler vs real amp. Pedals tend to be a more subjective area and of course very dependent on the amp and other stuff you’re playing through, so it’s very possible that the strymon works perfectly with what you’re using it through, but I bet if I could hypothetically zero in on all the gear you’re using it with, playing style and what it is specifically that the pedal is doing well in your setup, that I could recommend something that would work as good or better without what I perceive as an inorganic tone, but it seems like most others aren’t as turned off as I am with that less organic tone. From my experience, most pedal companies seem to consistently make pedals of similar quality across their whole line up. For example all the Thorpy pedals I’ve had sounded very organic (but also very noisy), they didn’t sound as pedal like/toy-like (more like an extension of the amp), even though I ultimately just kept one. The strymons consistently had a more processed/recorded tone to my ears. The empress pedals consistently have this clinical quality with ugly artifacts to their tone and so on with other brands having their own general qualities to them. Just my opinion

That is a looooong response. Tone is subjective........I feel like the term organic is thrown around too much. I know what I like no need to justify that at all. Whether it's live or recording or jamming at home it works for me.........I make no apologies or need anyone on the internet to tell me what to like.......I play my guitar and it sounds great........done.....

That is a looooong response. Tone is subjective........I feel like the term organic is thrown around too much. I know what I like no need to justify that at all. Whether it's live or recording or jamming at home it works for me.........I make no apologies or need anyone on the internet to tell me what to like.......I play my guitar and it sounds great........done.....
Well this is the place to nerd out about gear lol. I was just trying to clarify what I meant earlier. Of course we should all play what we like. I agree “organic” gets thrown around a lot and is a very hard thing to describe, but for me is one the qualities that I feel distinguishes exceptional gear from “nice” gear. Anyway, was just sharing my thoughts. Differing opinions make things more interesting anyway. Wasn’t trying to tell you or anyone what to play or what one should like

Well this is the place to nerd out about gear lol. I was just trying to clarify what I meant earlier. Of course we should all play what we like. I agree “organic” gets thrown around a lot and is a very hard thing to describe, but for me is one the qualities that I feel distinguishes exceptional gear from “nice” gear. Anyway, was just sharing my thoughts. Differing opinions make things more interesting anyway. Wasn’t trying to tell you or anyone what to play or what one should like
Yeah. I wanted to love the VFE Dragon. It just didn't sound real to me. I am a Tubescreamer whore, or I just found the right one. Koko boost is cool and probably my second favorite.

I go though a few months of this, a few months of that. I guess I use swapping out my boosting overdrives instead of swapping amps. Right now I'm mostly using a Mesa Grid Slammer, nothing too off the beaten path or fancy, but does the trick well and smoother than a typical TS.

Back