Finally a PETERS Hydra/Chimera comparison!

SuperFlyinMonke

This isn't one of my more complicated riffs, but I have the amps dialed in how I'll typically play them at home, just with a little less presence so the clips come through smoother.

I have both pre-amp sections going into the KT-88 loaded Hydra power section via the effects loop just to get the most accurate comparison. This is my Voltage cab mic'd with an Apex 205 in the same spot for both clips.

I'm really a clip noob, so mic position might be a little off, but I think it sounds good.

E-standard Jackson KV2 with Full Shred pickups with no effects, post-eq or mastering. Enjoy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1053933

I'll work on getting more up throughout the day to get people a better idea of what they're best suited for. Not to be too cliche, but expect some Megadeth and Metallica clips.

I thought the Hydra sounded better, seemed to be thicker and more ballsy. I like the mids better in the Hydra, the Chimera seemed a little scooped

but overall, they both sounded pretty similar

I sent James a link and he thinks they're a little dark sounding. I've been playing for hours today and incapable of making any more clips. I've been working too much and my callouses aren't what they used to be.

The Chimera had lower input levels, but I don't really like it through that cab, to be honest. It's like it was made for the Orange. Wait, it was. The tolex was, anyhow.

IMG_1662.jpg

Try the peters amps through an MC90 loaded cabinet if you can.
Mine is a Gryphon/Halo dual channel, and it woke the fuck up after plugging into the Mesa speakers.

The Chimera sounded Dark. muffled... No Clarity.

The Hydra sounded less congested, and had more Top End and cut through more, at least on my speakers.

Roid RAGE

Alright, this is some good feedback. I'll try again tomorrow. Er, today, I guess.

The Chimera definitely has more cut, so I'll see what I can do. I think I cut the dampening back for the second clip, IIRC.

Back