Finally have a proper desk setup after years of "making it work."

Variable

Been a while since I posted, but wanted to share since I'm quite happy with this setup!

So, having moved to California two years ago and running into the challenges of not having much space for, well, anything, I finally got around to getting myself a proper recording desk with rack space. I'd been working from a cheap Ikea desk and had to have all my amp heads stacked to the side, and it was cluttered and horrible. I did not want to make music because I felt like I was cramped in my office corner.

I picked up this desk from Amazon this week and put it together last night, and I have to say, I'm very happy considering how inexpensive it is compared to what you'll get at a big-box retailer. All the stuff I had to have either in a separate rack or on a keyboard stand or on a table is now attached to this desk.

IMG_0984.jpeg

There is just enough space on the bottom to fit my four amp heads I keep at home, too (cable management to come in the future once I finalize this setup).

IMG_0985.jpeg

I think down the road I'm going to get a de Lisle amp / speaker switcher since that'll simplify being able to run all four amps through my PS2 and into the Axe FX 3 for cab IRs and FX (which works great).

The best part is this desk was only $400 + tax, and does the job of the $1000 desks I often see on Sweetwater. It seems sturdy enough for MDF construction, and even though the "wood" wrap is just that, it actually is textured and feels and looks high-quality. Being able to have my Axe and PS2 racked in the desk is also super convenient. The desk is also on castors, so it's easy enough to move it aside to get at the cables if I need to reroute. And it just barely fits my NI Komplete Kontrol 61 keyboard.

If anyone is wondering about the headphone holder, that's a 3d print as I'm also into 3d printing (hence all the dragons :D). I printed another one for behind the iMac and it's very useful for cable management and coiling cables that are too long.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I'm thrilled with how it turned out :)

Back