Floyd upgrades- FU Tone

lettmusic

Anyone here upgraded their Floyds with brass block? A friend of mine replaced the block with a FU Tone brass one, he also got their noiseless springs and he said it really did make a difference in the sound, more low end and more sustain.
You guys have any experience in this?

definitely thicker with more sustain, but also seems to take a slight bit of a attack out of the notes. The attack can be increased and put back with pickup and OD boost choices.

I did, i tried a brass big block and it was a good improvement but after trying the stone tone granite block i would not go back to brass.
of the aftermarket floyd blocks the stone tone made the biggest difference for the better :thumbsup:
here is a before and after vid by someone on YT

I have about six of them and with the red springs and love them. Kind of curious about the Stone Tone blocks, but too much $$ to experiment with and I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Tried the brass block and didn't like what it did. Found the sound less articulate, adding a haze.
Went back to the standard lower mass block. It turns out more isn't always better.

I've tried them in almost every Floyd loaded guitar over the last few years. To me it sounded best in Mahogany guitars. The Alder and Basswood guitars lost a little bit of something and I had to go back to the factory block. Shame because most USA Jackson's are Alder and I love me some Jackson's! Now I look for Mahogany. Just a better overall tone for me.

Very interesting imput from you guys. The verdict is certainly mixed. Thanks for all the input.
The Floyd on my RC7 is of the lower end models, the sensitivity and response of the bar is very dull lifeless, even though it's floating, it lacks the bounce.

Lo, for a most provocative threade indeed, dear Rig-talk'ers!

A query for thee: for what purpose are ye threefold choices in size of said "Blocks"?
(32 mm, 37 mm, 42 mm)

Are not Sir Rose's Floyds all similar in dimension?

This post now concludeth!

Ye Black Knight":1997oemn said:
Lo, for a most provocative threade indeed, dear Rig-talk'ers!

A query for thee: for what purpose are ye threefold choices in size of said "Blocks"?
(32 mm, 37 mm, 42 mm)

Are not Sir Rose's Floyds all similar in dimension?

This post now concludeth!

But all guitars do not have the same body thickness And not all Floyds are top mounted--some are recessed into the body and thus require a different length of block to reach the springs.

So endeth the answer.

I swapped out my Original Floyd for the FU tone Floyd, and am very happy with it. Beefier unit all around. Found a used FU trem on here for a great price.

Back