Footswitch LEDs

BeZo

My dream of having the epic rig of doom is almost complete. I got the ABY pedals, amps and cabs to run two full stacks, but I want to switch them both with one footswitch. I started with the footswitch for my 5150. I replaced the switch with a heavy duty DPDT switch, and drilled the plastic housing out for an extra jack. Now my 5150 switch can control my 5150 and another amp. Cool.

My Verellen Skyhammer came with a single button switch with an LED in it. I've been using this footswitch with my Mesa Mark V through the remote switching jack in the back just fine. I bought parts to clone it in stereo so I can send 2 independent paths from one footswitch. I drilled it all out and used rubber grommets to isolate the jacks from the housing, and mounted all the hardware. I'm stuck with the LEDs.

The 5150 and the Verellen footswitches both have the LED wired in series with the path with no resistors in line. For the 5150 footswitch, I just wired it so that both are shorted on the same side of the switch and will use the LED already on the footswitch for verification. I had the same plan for the Verellen footswitch when I get to modding that one for two amps. I need to finish the one I'm building first to replace it before I mod it. The LEDs are confusing me too much though.

Should I worry about variation between the signal sent from different amps? I've seen a Mesa footswitch wired identical to all these, but all the research I've done tells me I need a resistor in line to bias the LED to thg ge amp. Just because the Verellen footswitch works with the Mesa, doesn't mean the LED is happy in that circuit, and I could possibly blow it, right? Being that the LED is in series, that means no footswitch. Do I need to get specific with the circuits, or can I just use whatever footswitch with whatever amp? Ultimately, I want to have a way to run any pair of amps I own and be able to change from clean to death on both amps at once. Am I overthinking this?

The resister limits the current so you don't burn out the LED.

Do you know what the supply voltage is at the pedal?

Does the LED brightness very between amps?

There is a chance you might be overthinking it, if you are able to swap them between amps, and they work, you are most likely good to go

Sounds like you need latching footswitch and for safety's sake you could try to put a 470 Ohm (or even 220 Ohm) resistor in line with the LED.
That way you're 99,99% sure it doesn't burn out. Given the fact that the original footswitches work without a resistor near the LED, the resistance is done in the amp OR it just sends a really low (<4V) signal to the footswitch from the amp. If you're worried about a loss in brightness, you could always go for a blue LED. They require less power.

Back