For you Uberschall people...

I'd say,

Presence off
Bass higher than you would normally like
Mid cut down a lot
Treble to taste
Gain between noon and 2:00
Master and Channel volume low to keep it tight and not so compressed as compared to pushing the amp

7-string or a down tuned 6-string

You were actually pretty close! Using my Rev 2 I was able to get a really similar tone just by going with that. I think pushing the bass higher than what I expected is what helped. I have the presence off, treble at around 3:00, mids at 10:00, bass at 2:30, and gain at 2:00. Boosting it with a Maxon OD 808. Thanks for your help!

Whoever recorded that track had his guitar tuned strangely. It was somewhere between drop D and C#.

Next time I will back off on the gain a bit. The Uberschall doesn't record well with the gain anywhere past 2:00.

leib10":2hhll9vt said:
Whoever recorded that track had his guitar tuned strangely. It was somewhere between drop D and C#.
that would be the dimebag tuning...no?

That clip was done by Mike Tempesta of Powerman 5000 with a version 1 Uberschall. I believe he also used an old TC electronics booster with it, quite unlike any Tube Screamer based OD.

I actually prefer the sound of your clip. His had a weird edge to it. Maybe that's what you liked about it, who knows. Yours had plenty of high end cut and held together better, IMO. Nice!

BigSwerve":17d02sz5 said:
Your tone sounded good but that ubertone is freakin SICK!!!!
ronjhoser":17d02sz5 said:
I actually prefer the sound of your clip. His had a weird edge to it. Maybe that's what you liked about it, who knows. Yours had plenty of high end cut and held together better, IMO. Nice!

Thanks man! I tend to prefer a lot of treble and upper mids that can be cut out with a low pass filter if necessary. It really goes to show what the Uberschall can do at bedroom volumes- unlike some amps like Rectifiers.

Hey what kind of pickup were you using in your tonewhen you tracked your version of the riff? and what kind of pick up was the powerman 5000 guy using?

I have no idea what he was using, but I was using a Seymour Duncan SH8 Invader. Definitely a love it or hate it pickup.

Back