Fortin Modded VTM120. Never mind, Ive come to my senses.

bubbastain

Yup, I'm actually doing it. I said the day I sell this amp is the day I'm done playing guitar, and I'm just about done. Works and grappling for 20 years have put some limits on my finger dexterity. Haha!
Mike modded this for me in February 2011 and it has been my #1 favorite amp of all time. Many amps have come and gone in the last 10 years and this one always took first place to me. Not because it's the highest gain, tightest ect, etc ....... but to me it's the perfect balance off all the things I like. It's tight, it's percussive, it was geared towards downtuned guitars and it's simple. It cleans up better than any amp I have ever played and stays bright with the guitar volume lowered. If you want an amp to crank up the gain and stick a boost in front of I'd suggest you pass on this. Lot's of amps fit that bill. I have never played a boost in front of this amp that made it sound better. It's always made it worse. If you like hi gain tones and also really like to use the volume knob on your guitar to utilize dynamics, that's where I think this amp shines. Even more so it you're tuned lower. It is on the bright side. Still running the Winged C 6L6's since 2011. Never felt a need to change them.
As far as mods go Mike revoiced the preamp , took out the dip switches and put two mini toggle switches. The one on the left is the diode clipping circuit that he changed and the switch on the right adds a little volume and grind/high grit. Both are super cool but I rarely use them. A depth knob was added as well as a bias adjustment pot and the amp can now take 6l6GC or EL34 tubes. I believe he changed all the screen resistors too (white rectangle blocks). The amp was in mint/probably never played much when I got it in 2008/9. Even had the original tags on it. I played it for a bit and then sent it to get modded in December 2010. As far as I know this is the only VTM he has modded. I payed a guy on craigslist to make the wood headshell and then I tolexed it myself and finished it off. It's not a pro level job, but its good enough, lighter and I like the way it looks. But still a little ghetto here and there. Haha!

$1500.

Last edited:
Holy crap at you selling this and that price is great. Sorry to hear about your finger dexterity. GLWS man, amp sounds killer.

Yeah - that amp sounds crazy good. And you are absolutely correct - it’s the overall ‘balance’ of the tonal characteristics that make this amp. This is a score.

Woah hell has froze over. My wife had surgery, Dr visits for complications of said surgery, and 2 different vet emergencies for 2 different cats all in December. I dont think I have 1500 pennies but damn if 2020 wasnt still kicking me, this would be mine even if I had to drive to pick it up. I hope you change your mind. I know how much you love this amp but I understand your reasons.

Woah hell has froze over. My wife had surgery, Dr visits for complications of said surgery, and 2 different vet emergencies for 2 different cats all in December. I dont think I have 1500 pennies but damn if 2020 wasnt still kicking me, this would be mine even if I had to drive to pick it up. I hope you change your mind. I know how much you love this amp but I understand your reasons.

2020. What’s there left to say? Oh yeah, everyone got some suckage, some far more than others. My cats Unexpected $8,900 vet bill two months ago really got the ball rolling.

man thank god my bill today was only $150 unfortunately I was broke right before payday. I didnt want to wait on taking her to the vet so I pawned my Mark IV. I've never been so ready for a year to be over. I hope 2021 is better.

man thank god my bill today was only $150 unfortunately I was broke right before payday. I didnt want to wait on taking her to the vet so I pawned my Mark IV. I've never been so ready for a year to be over. I hope 2021 is better.

+1 to that! Bump

Does it get a variety of tones and how does it clean up with the guitar volume?sounds like alot of.the modern high gainers out today,wondering how it would do with more classic tones?

Does it get a variety of tones and how does it clean up with the guitar volume?sounds like alot of.the modern high gainers out today,wondering how it would do with more classic tones?

IMO a good classic rock player can make even a "modern high gain" amp sound like a good classic rock amp with a little tweaking. I've heard a killer blues player get killer blues tones from a 5150 212 combo. That being said, this amp was not modded with classic rock tones in mind. Much better amps for that. It is however very responsive to the guitar volume and pick attack. On a side note, I'm going to record a Drop G clip for someone interested in the amp. So last night I tuned my guitar down to Drop G# (10-52) since I need a thicker set of strings, but it sounded killer for that type of thing. It was modded with drop tunings in mind even though Ive never tuned lower than A#.

Changed my mind for now. Why? Because I just spent the last hour playing it (and other amps). I'm not gonna bump this again, but just ask if your interested in the future. You might catch me when I'm in one of those thinking rationally/practical moods. :LOL:

IMO a good classic rock player can make even a "modern high gain" amp sound like a good classic rock amp with a little tweaking. I've heard a killer blues player get killer blues tones from a 5150 212 combo. That being said, this amp was not modded with classic rock tones in mind. Much better amps for that. It is however very responsive to the guitar volume and pick attack. On a side note, I'm going to record a Drop G clip for someone interested in the amp. So last night I tuned my guitar down to Drop G# (10-52) since I need a thicker set of strings, but it sounded killer for that type of thing. It was modded with drop tunings in mind even though Ive never tuned lower than A#.
Could be some truth to that,as the 5150 has a similar base to a soldano...some modern amps just dont get a good classic type tone,the OD just sounds different and the peavey strikes me that way when I heard it,not that it is bad.was just wondering because alot of those modders make the Amos super versatile. Your post clarified..thanks

Changed my mind for now. Why? Because I just spent the last hour playing it (and other amps). I'm not gonna bump this again, but just ask if your interested in the future. You might catch me when I'm in one of those thinking rationally/practical moods. :LOL:
Really glad to read this. It is such a gift when we are reminded of why we loved something so much in the first place. This is just and incredible sounding amp - and not one you could easily replace if you had let it go and later wished you hadn’t. Good for you!

Back