Free Pickups - September 26 Edition

scottosan

As I promised, I’m again be doing pickup giveaways.

First up is a prototype based on a current pickup used by GL. It’s a.13.8k rough cast ALNICO 8 fire breather . This pickup is Screamin, no pun intended. It’s distressed black wide spacing, short leg 2 conductor.

2nd is a distressed Frank’E with rough cast ALNICO 2 coming in @14k. Shorted legged wide spacing 4 conductor

My ask again. Please intend to use it in the near term, not sit on a shelf. Communicate likes or dislikes although these prototypes are simply that. I ended up with slightly different spec for production specs but interesting to know what your ears hear as well. As such, not looking for any product plugs and spamming from you, no strings attached, just honest feedback via DMs. I prefer this goes to some one that has a general sense of pickup specs they tend to gravitate to. Again, matching the pickup to the player.

This isn’t a first on in deal. I know some of you better than others and music tastes so some preference may be given as such. Feel free to hit me up via PM on through the post. I will choose someone tomorrow.

13.8k A8 short legged 2c

14k A2 short legged wide spacing

Man oh man, that pickup woke up my Jackson. I named the pickup "Clear Punch".. really can't believe it. Full review to come soon and clips

well shit brother...if your givin them away put my name in the hat. I quit playing because of my m.s. diagnosis.(numb on the right side of my body and 3 fingers on my left hand also) but I have a charvel desolation that a buddy give me that I would like to upgrade. do you have a website or anything? I'm all about hooking up a forum bro with business.....

well shit brother...if your givin them away put my name in the hat. I quit playing because of my m.s. diagnosis.(numb on the right side of my body and 3 fingers on my left hand also) but I have a charvel desolation that a buddy give me that I would like to upgrade. do you have a website or anything? I'm all about hooking up a forum bro with business.....
I may have some extras pending a recording session Friday. After that I’ll check back in to see what’s available.

So Im using a Seymour Duncan custom 5 14k A5 in my Charvel superstrat. It was a little hollow in the mids and bland sounding. Swapped in an A2 and gives it more character but sounds congested? I prefer it in single coil mode, much clearer but now has SC noise. You have anything in a humbucker that has punch but is clear sounding? Maybe an uneven wind? Thanks!!

Last edited:
So Im using a Seymour Duncan custom 5 14k A5 in my Charvel superstrat. It was a little hollow in the mids and bland sounding. Swapped in an A2 and gives it more character but sounds congested? I prefer it in single coil mode, much clearer but now has SC noise. You have anything in a humbucker that has punch but is clear sounding? Maybe an uneven wind? Thanks!!
The A2 will sound more congested or saturated. Kind of like more sag in the attack, but should have less mids than an A5. So, when you say hollow, are you referring to scooped mids? Compared to a JB, anything in the custom line will have less mids. The higher winds, lower wire gauge, and higher impedance gives the JB that perceived mid hump. I’ve done some pickups in the 14k range with some asymmetric winds, but not too large of a mismatch, just a few hundred winds. For this style of pickup I prefer a short (2.36”) A5. Tonally it’s not as harsh, it’s warmer/fatter and more mids than the standard long A5.

Thanks guys. Right now I am going to take these 2 to a forum members house plus 4 others I have in different guitars to get some proper clips. That afternoon I will reach out to you all and finalize who gets what. For the sake of transparency, 2 pickups have been given away so far and 2-3 more will be given away on a Friday.

Last edited:
I'm making clips this weekend, guys if you play mid/high gain and want something to slam a Marshallish tone...(was talking about the pickup in my Jackson now)

Last edited:
Scott if you have something sludgy/doomy I could throw in a LP I’d be glad to take it.

Currently what’s in my LPC is a set of PRS McCarty pickups and while great, I could do with more power/saturation in the bridge.

If you’ve got something hi powered and more geared towards down tuning I’m your boy, Blue…

Back