Fretting over frets!

C1-ocaster

I was looking into fret leveling and how much it costs to have a luthier do it, and what's involved if I do it.
Found an interesting kit by Thomas Ginex Fret Refinishing Method.
YT video shows how to use it and it looks quite simple.

Anyone tried this product?
Does it work?

I'm looking to level frets on a newer guitar with nearly no wear, just badly done fret work from the factory.
Seems this kit may do the job.

The other guitar is my 91 American Strat Plus DLX that I've played for 23yrs.
The frets are still good but I think they need some work.
How well does this kit do on heavily used frets?

Well, I bought it for shits & giggles, to try on a cheap neck... Give the gitar to a real luthier/tech, is my opinion.

I've used it a bunch for guitars that require "light" fretwork and it works perfectly for that. I wouldn't use it if the fretwork required was intensive (i.e. major leveling), but for setting up a new guitar, it's a no brainer - works like a charm.

Doing a proper level and crown isn't something you figure out how to do perfectly the first time. It probably isn't even possible with those tools.

If you want to experiment on a cheap or unimportant guitar, go for it. I wouldn't use it on your main guitar

Strat+Marshall":2duvuflf said:
Doing a proper level and crown isn't something you figure out how to do perfectly the first time. It probably isn't even possible with those tools.

If you want to experiment on a cheap or unimportant guitar, go for it. I wouldn't use it on your main guitar

Yeah, it's mainly just for light adjustment on a new guitar where I think it just needs some light work that the factory SHOULD have done. Can't get the action enough enough without a few frets buzzing and fretting out on bends.

For the Strat I just wanted to try a light level just to see.
If it doesn't work then no biggie as it may/could use new frets after all these years.

ke2":2rq2g8rd said:
Well, I bought it for shits & giggles, to try on a cheap neck... Give the gitar to a real luthier/tech, is my opinion.

I agree. If you are not mechanically inclined this could be a good way to really mess up a guitar. Looks easy and seems pretty straight forward but why take a chance? Unless you really are into doing your own guitar work I would leave it to a pro. Last grind and polish I got on one of my Les Pauls cost me like $80 or something. And it was perfect.

Fretwork is left to a reputable luthier. I have had several fret levels completely screwed by so called local techs years back. I would only use guys like Philtone. There are several others around.

Last time I had it done it was $100 for a set up and fret level. Well worth it to have it done right. Side note: I do almost everything else on my guitars myself, just want to have some one with the right tools and experience do the fret work.

You need it done so infrequently it's well worth the cost.

I've never messed with frets either.
I do my own intonation, action, neck adjustments, but not frets.

$100 seems reasonable for a luthier to get the frets level and smooth.

Sounds like a leave it to the pro's job. :)

Back