Friedman 2x12 vs. 4x12 for BE 100

JoeyWilder1987

Hey everybody I am currently awaiting the BE 100 deluxe. Had the 50 and the friedman matching 2x12. Long story short I ended up exchanging the 50 and am awaiting the 100 to arrive(about 2 more weeks) now. I still have the 2x12, just wondering if I’m gonna be better off getting the 4x12 to go with it if it’ll be that much better with the 100 watt than the 2x12 will be? Any experience and insight into tonal differences will be much appreciated! TIA

Also just want to add I did end up swapping 1 of the v30s in the friedman 2 12 for a m65 creamback. It sounds much better to me that way and really balanced out the high mids of the other v30. Sounds much more pleasing to my ears.

If you have back problems don't get the 4x12.
Friedman cabs also come with no casters unless thats changed.

I have a 50w Marsha and just ordered a Friedman 4x12. I have a quad of Scumbacks that I'm putting in it. V30s and the BE aren't the best combo IME, though I seem to be moving away from V30s all together, so take that for what it's worth.
Which Scumbacks?

I have the 2x12 with a V30/CBH75. Love it and the 4x12. The 4x12 obviously will sound bigger and the V30/GB combo with the DLX is awesome. I gig a lot, so the 2x12 is perfect for me. It punches and blooms well with the right blend of tightness and 3D room-filling quality, to my ears.

Which Scumbacks?

I have the 2x12 with a V30/CBH75. Love it and the 4x12. The 4x12 obviously will sound bigger and the V30/GB combo with the DLX is awesome. I gig a lot, so the 2x12 is perfect for me. It punches and blooms well with the right blend of tightness and 3D room-filling quality, to my ears.
I’m wondering if I should change the m65 out in my 2 12 with v30/m65 to an h75. People seem to say it’s a better match up. The 2 v30s on their own just bothered me. The combo I was playing previously had the m65 creamback in it then when I got the friedman be 50 I went ahead and got the matching 2 12 with it. But those v30 high mids just started to get to me and it was a huge improvement when I put the m65 in with 1 of the v30s. I’ve also considered just going straight with 2 h75’s as well because I always like the sound of the 2 12 zack wish uses in his videos with those speakers.

I’m wondering if I should change the m65 out in my 2 12 with v30/m65 to an h75. People seem to say it’s a better match up. The 2 v30s on their own just bothered me. The combo I was playing previously had the m65 creamback in it then when I got the friedman be 50 I went ahead and got the matching 2 12 with it. But those v30 high mids just started to get to me and it was a huge improvement when I put the m65 in with 1 of the v30s. I’ve also considered just going straight with 2 h75’s as well because I always like the sound of the 2 12 zack wish uses in his videos with those speakers.
I too liked the M65/V30 combo with the BE50 DLX. When I got the JJ100, I swapped the M65 with the H75. When I had the BE50 and JJ100 at the same time, it was interesting that though they were similar, they definitely were different enough in the highs and mids or dark vs. bright. The BE50 could get pretty bright and middy, so the M65 would a good way to tame that.

If you have the money and space for the 4x12, get it. Tonal differences, it's going to sound bigger and more kickass.
Agree with this. I'll add that if you're gigging and have someone to help you it is a good idea. If you are gigging but need to lug your own stuff, the 4X12 may not be the way to go.

The Friedman is such a quality cabinet that many speaker combinations can work, it just depends on what you want and what style of music you play. I ran 2 H75 Creambacks in an X pattern with the V30s, which I liked a lot. Now I'm trying two T75s in the X pattern. Since I play a ton of hard rock and metal, this works really well for me. But M65s or H75s with the V30s would be great, and it is honestly great stock too.

I find that I like and need the tone of V30s, but many times don't like them alone. Just too much mids. I also find that the regular Greenbacks and M65s don't handle the bass frequencies for heavier music that I like to dial in and can tend to fart out. The H75, V30s and T75s handle it much better.

I like something to mix with the V30s, the H75 was really good, but still kind of mid heavy, however in a different way than the V30. The T75 seems to compliment the V30s well (as many have discovered) because it does not have as much mids and has different/more bass and treble frequencies.

If you have back problems don't get the 4x12.
Friedman cabs also come with no casters unless thats changed.

Even the 212 at 65lbs and a single handle on the top isn't much of a help on the back. They need to install side handles on these. Mesa is no better with theirs.

I too liked the M65/V30 combo with the BE50 DLX. When I got the JJ100, I swapped the M65 with the H75. When I had the BE50 and JJ100 at the same time, it was interesting that though they were similar, they definitely were different enough in the highs and mids or dark vs. bright. The BE50 could get pretty bright and middy, so the M65 would a good way to tame that.
I’m waiting on the 100 deluxe now. That 2 12 with the m65 and v30 sounded great with my 50 deluxe though so I’m hoping it’ll work well with my 100 as well. I really don’t have the cash to purchase a 4 12 right now so I’m just wondering if it would sound that much better with the 100 watt head to go ahead and get 1 though. I’m just hoping the 2 12 will be a good match for now for the 100

I’m waiting on the 100 deluxe now. That 2 12 with the m65 and v30 sounded great with my 50 deluxe though so I’m hoping it’ll work well with my 100 as well. I really don’t have the cash to purchase a 4 12 right now so I’m just wondering if it would sound that much better with the 100 watt head to go ahead and get 1 though. I’m just hoping the 2 12 will be a good match for now for the 100
I'm debating getting a 2x12 myself. 4x12's are a pain in the ass, and virtually impossible to sell. If you have the room, great. If you can crank it all the time, even better. But, a good quality 2x12 is hard to beat.

I'm debating getting a 2x12 myself. 4x12's are a pain in the ass, and virtually impossible to sell. If you have the room, great. If you can crank it all the time, even better. But, a good quality 2x12 is hard to beat.
It's easy to beat. A good 4x12.

I'm using the BM-75s. @ 65w, a quad can handle pretty much any amp and sound fantastic. Good VH tones to be had with them.
OK, cool. I'm looking at those or the BM-75-LDC. I have a Splawn now and have a Friedman JJ50 (gave Dave a donor amp) on the way, so something flexible.

Even the 212 at 65lbs and a single handle on the top isn't much of a help on the back. They need to install side handles on these. Mesa is no better with theirs.

Agree'd. Im coming up on 60. The 4x12's are getting to be a handfull but still my weapon of choice.
In the 80's i could haul a full Marshall stack up 3 flights of stairs by myself no problem.
Them days is over.

I have a 50w Marsha and just ordered a Friedman 4x12. I have a quad of Scumbacks that I'm putting in it. V30s and the BE aren't the best combo IME, though I seem to be moving away from V30s all together, so take that for what it's worth.
V30’s alone maybe not, but along with Greenbacks :rock:

Agree'd. Im coming up on 60. The 4x12's are getting to be a handfull but still my weapon of choice.
In the 80's i could haul a full Marshall stack up 3 flights of stairs by myself no problem.
Them days is over.
Quit being a pussy

Back