Friedman JJ 100 vs BE 100

Cap217

I owned both but no longer have either. I have the JJ jr, SS100, and Marsha 100w. But I am curious in the differences in the JJ vs BE.

I have read and found that the JBE is basically HBE, C45, Sat and that makes sense to me. I also know the JJ has a .0068 vs .0047 depth. But what I am curious about is that on all of my Be or Marsha amps, when I switch to HBE is gets noisy because of the added gain. Then add in Sat on top of that and its kind of hard to control. So you turn the gain down. But on a JJ I dont need to turn the gain down really. Its quieter and more under control.

Why is this? And am I correct in saying the JJ is BE- HBE, C45, Sat?

What about the preamp filtering? SS and JJ have 16uf. I forget what the BE has.

I don't know the exact technological makeup of the JBE sound. I remember Dave saying on Tone Talk that you can recreate it on your BE-100 Deluxe: it's basically HBE with a SAT switch and then the Frequency switch to the right.

I own seven of Dave's amps (yeah, I know) and IMO the BE-100 Deluxe is the One Ring to Rule them All. It's every Marshall-inspired sound ever in one box. It's really worth every penny and it can replicate almost all the sounds from Dave's other amps if you sit there and tweak them. An A/B box will help.

That all said, my favorite Friedman is my Friedman-modded Marshall. It's a 1990 Marshall 1987x JCM800 "4-Hole;" effectively a 50w plexi in a JCM800 headshell. Dave did his Kitchen Sink mod to it in 2008. It also has a simple clean as a third channel. This amp makes me get the biggest shit-eating grin every time I plug into it. There's just something special about that one. It's more compressed, has a bit more gain, and is brighter than my other Friedmans. The guy I bought it from got seller's remorse and offered me $1500 more then I paid for it to buy it back but I couldn't sell it to him. It's that good.

I don't know the exact technological makeup of the JBE sound. I remember Dave saying on Tone Talk that you can recreate it on your BE-100 Deluxe: it's basically HBE with a SAT switch and then the Frequency switch to the right.

I own seven of Dave's amps (yeah, I know) and IMO the BE-100 Deluxe is the One Ring to Rule them All. It's every Marshall-inspired sound ever in one box. It's really worth every penny and it can replicate almost all the sounds from Dave's other amps if you sit there and tweak them. An A/B box will help.

That all said, my favorite Friedman is my Friedman-modded Marshall. It's a 1990 Marshall 1987x JCM800 "4-Hole;" effectively a 50w plexi in a JCM800 headshell. Dave did his Kitchen Sink mod to it in 2008. It also has a simple clean as a third channel. This amp makes me get the biggest shit-eating grin every time I plug into it. There's just something special about that one. It's more compressed, has a bit more gain, and is brighter than my other Friedmans. The guy I bought it from got seller's remorse and offered me $1500 more then I paid for it to buy it back but I couldn't sell it to him. It's that good.
My favorite Friedman (out of several) was my '79 JMP Kitchen Sink. That amp had TONE & mojo. Wish I still had that one.

The JJ does not use the 4 gain stages of the HBE, it's the BE channel with a cap switched on the last gain stage and the sat switch engaged. The JJ also has lower filtering on the preamp stages than the BE.

The JJ does not use the 4 gain stages of the HBE, it's the BE channel with a cap switched on the last gain stage and the sat switch engaged. The JJ also has lower filtering on the preamp stages than the BE.

So what does the first tube do? Both sides are wired.

It also seems that there are a few spots where he uses an 820ohm resistor where a 2k7 would be on the .68 and 10uf caps. I just noticed this.

Back