Friedman WW20

232cap

Anyone here try the new Wildwood 20, the wildwood pt20 was great but at lower volumes it was a little dark. A presence control would have fixed that, the new ww20 has a presence so that shouldnt be an issue now. The JJ jr was a great amp voiced a bit modern, i believe the ww20 is more of an 80's type gain.

I bought one in November and it’s a beast.
The claim of it sounding like 100watt modded Marshall is right on.
This one,with the gain cut switch is amazingly versatile.
The presence control does just as you stated, really can brighten it up, if that’s what you want to get out of it.
My experience with it these last few months is its a total blast to play with, and I’m still experimenting with the different sounds you get from it.
and... it’s f.ing loud as hell after like 3 on the master. So I found I needed an attenuator to play it properly at a home setting, which starts to really open up after 4 or 5 on the master.
I don’t hear much about this amp, I wonder if it is selling well, or with COVID, production numbers are down.

I’m curious how much overlap or similarity there is with the BE channel of the JJ Jr? The WW20 is one of the other amp I was considering when I got my JJ Jr a few weeks ago. I’m absolutely in love with it, but I can’t help but wonder if I’m missing out by not having a WW20 as well.

Both he JJ Jr. and new WW20 are clearly derivative of the Runt 20 platform.
I'd wager the main PCB layout is the same with just some pre-amp voicing parts exchanged.

The WW20 does add some push/pull pots to the mix though.

Question, how's the presence control on your JJ? I know it makes noise as you turn it, but I
never found a usable setting with it other than completely off. Always wondered if something
was wrong with mine.

That doesn’t sound right. I normally run the presence between 11 o’clock to 3 o’clock depending on how much saturation I want in the distortion.

The presence on my JJ Jr pretty much stays between 10:00 and 1:00 - I can't imagine running it completely off.

Can anyone else compare the JJ Jr and the WW20? I'm happy right now, but always curious....

the wildwood pt20 was great but at lower volumes it was a little dark.

Did you tried cranking the mids and treble? It did wonders on my BE100 (the (in)famous Akira Takasaki settings). Not sure if it sounds the same on the Taco.

Maybe a Buxom Boost could brigthen up the amp too.

The presence on my JJ Jr pretty much stays between 10:00 and 1:00 - I can't imagine running it completely off.

Can anyone else compare the JJ Jr and the WW20? I'm happy right now, but always curious....

Had a JJ100 and ran the presence like this. I like that I had more control over the treble and presence with that amp. The higher the volume, the lower the Pres and Treb for me at gig volumes. Playing at home, lower volumes, I had the Presence at 3:00 and set the Treble to taste.

Anyone here try the new Wildwood 20, the wildwood pt20 was great but at lower volumes it was a little dark. A presence control would have fixed that, the new ww20 has a presence so that shouldnt be an issue now. The JJ jr was a great amp voiced a bit modern, i believe the ww20 is more of an 80's type gain.

I purchased a mint used WW20 February 2021

Cool amp for a Marshally gain thing

Gain channel is awesome as expected. Having Gain, Saturation (pull) and Gain Cut switch makes this channel quite tweakable. I really like this amp for the gain channel.

I agree with Gyver66, it's quite loud! It can be a challenge to arrive at a decent practice level on the Master knob. It goes from inaudible to piss the neighbors off with the slightest turn of the knob.
Also, because the Master knob doubles as a Voice switch (pull) it's nearly impossible to change voice without changing the setting once the precarious balance between off and too loud is established. BTW the voices don't sound significantly different to my well aged ears.

Clean channel lacks personality. The only reason I bought this over other Freidman 20 watters, was the clean channel and I've quickly discovered I prefer to use the gain channel and my guitar volume. This channel is a disappointment.

The EQ section is quite powerful when used with the gain channel. However it seems to have very little impact on the clean channel. Additionally, it seems to my well aged ears that the few sweet spots that can be achieved just happen to be the worst possible settings when switching back to the gain channel.

As for the Presence control noise, Friedman states this is normal when turning the control

The bright switch options are interesting, but along with whatever pleasing character they add to the clean channel it seems they have equally unpleasing characteristics. If the EQ section was more impactful to the clean channel, the bright settings could probably be really cool or unnecessary.

The cabinet voiced output is nice, but in my experience there is something odd about it. I can set the clean and gain channel volumes to a balance I like through a 4x12, but through the cabinet voiced output the levels are WAY different. The clean is MUCH louder than the gain channel.

User experience
While I understand aesthetics and the importance of having a visual pleasing design, the choice of faceplate and lettering colors and the use of gold knobs makes the controls very difficult to read and impossible in poor lighting. I switched out the knobs for white knobs with black pointers and memorized the control layout, which helped.

The next weird design choices were to put the pull Saturation on the Bass control and pull Fat on the Gain control. The obvious and more contextual choice would have been to swap these

Not enough Bass? Pull the Bass knob for Fat
Not enough Saturation? Pull the Gain knob for more saturation

Not only would this make more sense, it would also aid in memorizing the difficult to read control layout
While I was at it I'd have placed the Gain cut above the Gain knob

So while this sounds like a negative review, its not. I really like the gain channel a lot!!!
Yes the clean channel is a disappointment, but I can get 85% of what I need using the gain channel and guitar volume.
Usability seems an after thought to me, or perhaps Dave didn't want to layout a completely new circuit for WW's requests and just made it work.
That said, the amp styling does look good if that's your main thing.

Cheers!

I purchased a mint used WW20 February 2021

Cool amp for a Marshally gain thing

Gain channel is awesome as expected. Having Gain, Saturation (pull) and Gain Cut switch makes this channel quite tweakable. I really like this amp for the gain channel.

I agree with Gyver66, it's quite loud! It can be a challenge to arrive at a decent practice level on the Master knob. It goes from inaudible to piss the neighbors off with the slightest turn of the knob.
Also, because the Master knob doubles as a Voice switch (pull) it's nearly impossible to change voice without changing the setting once the precarious balance between off and too loud is established. BTW the voices don't sound significantly different to my well aged ears.

Clean channel lacks personality. The only reason I bought this over other Freidman 20 watters, was the clean channel and I've quickly discovered I prefer to use the gain channel and my guitar volume. This channel is a disappointment.

The EQ section is quite powerful when used with the gain channel. However it seems to have very little impact on the clean channel. Additionally, it seems to my well aged ears that the few sweet spots that can be achieved just happen to be the worst possible settings when switching back to the gain channel.

As for the Presence control noise, Friedman states this is normal when turning the control

The bright switch options are interesting, but along with whatever pleasing character they add to the clean channel it seems they have equally unpleasing characteristics. If the EQ section was more impactful to the clean channel, the bright settings could probably be really cool or unnecessary.

The cabinet voiced output is nice, but in my experience there is something odd about it. I can set the clean and gain channel volumes to a balance I like through a 4x12, but through the cabinet voiced output the levels are WAY different. The clean is MUCH louder than the gain channel.

User experience
While I understand aesthetics and the importance of having a visual pleasing design, the choice of faceplate and lettering colors and the use of gold knobs makes the controls very difficult to read and impossible in poor lighting. I switched out the knobs for white knobs with black pointers and memorized the control layout, which helped.

The next weird design choices were to put the pull Saturation on the Bass control and pull Fat on the Gain control. The obvious and more contextual choice would have been to swap these

Not enough Bass? Pull the Bass knob for Fat
Not enough Saturation? Pull the Gain knob for more saturation

Not only would this make more sense, it would also aid in memorizing the difficult to read control layout
While I was at it I'd have placed the Gain cut above the Gain knob

So while this sounds like a negative review, its not. I really like the gain channel a lot!!!
Yes the clean channel is a disappointment, but I can get 85% of what I need using the gain channel and guitar volume.
Usability seems an after thought to me, or perhaps Dave didn't want to layout a completely new circuit for WW's requests and just made it work.
That said, the amp styling does look good if that's your main thing.

Cheers!
I find using an equilizer pedal (in my case, Source Audio EQ2) is very helpful to shape the clean channel the way I like. I don't think the BMT affect the clean channel at all....

Back