FRYETTE 2150 2022 RUN INQUIRY.... DEAD

bhuard75

I emailed FRYETTE yesterday directly asking about their plans for a FRYETTE 2150 run. They have talked about it. They are not doing it.

You have to imagine this power amp will at least be $3K. How many people here have $3K to slap down on a 2150 today? Do we have enough legitimage interest here?

If there is enough interest maybe we can reach out to some of the resources here to get FRYETTE to put their eyes on this for more consideration for a legitimate pre-order.

Post if you have interest for a FRYETTE 2150 and have the cake to put down. Below is a snapshot of FRYETTEs email response.

I would consider it as well, but I definitely don't have the money to slap down right now.

In normal circumstances, I would both have the $, and be chomping at the bit to get a 2150.

For sure don't have the cash right now and would LOVE to have one, but I have a feeling even the $3k price tag might be shooting low...

Wasn't the 2100 reissue around $4k? I assume you'd be looking to spend at least that, maybe more if parts are even harder to manufacture now.

A mirrored anniversary edition 2150. The 2100 has always been $4k. The 2150 should not be that much or have all the features the 2100. What we need is that brutality that only the original 2150 can deliver. If it includes all the extra features it will mean a loss in tone. The more simple it is the better but I would insist on it being mirrored after hearing that it is more of a process for polished chrome....we want it to mean something Steve...and there must be a way to reissue these with the VHT logo too, Fryette just in not the same cosmetic throat punch like we know and love, no disrespect on the contrary. No one loves the 2150/2100 more on this forum.

Last edited:
"because most racks used a preamp - or three - or a combination of preamps and slaved amps using resistive (not reactive) loads. Our power amps worked well because they brought the needed dynamic and tonal elements to get closer to a real amp sound.

These days, modelers have more (though certainly not all) of the tonal and dynamic ingredients and we have better loads like our Power Load, Power Station and the Suhr product to enhance the behavior of slaved amps. So now, the power amp can afford to be more neutral. Some feel that this validates SS power amps because "flat response", etc, which is not necessarily true, but that's the pitch.

Just because you have good reactive load and are using an EL34 based amp head, doesn't mean you need an EL34 power amp to somehow retain the amps original flavor. Once the amps EL34s have added their bit of spice, it doesn't make sense that an EL34 power amp is needed to preserve that, or that a 6L6 power amp somehow magically erases it. And especially that a SS power amp will somehow stay out of the way entirely.

In general, what a tube power amp in this case brings is dynamic feel, often severely lacking in SS power amps, or masked in tube power amps with heavy coloration or intentionally dragged dynamic response. The 2/50/2 delivers a very dynamic feel, which is why it works so well in this application. The LXII likewise delivers great dynamic response and can be operated as a more neutral amp sonically, or punched up to behave similarly to the 2/50/2.

I should mention that the 2/50/2 cheats a little because it's actually 65W per channel with both channels driven, comparable to the Mesa Simul Two:90 which is also good for around 65W per channel (both amps measured at 5% distortion). The LXII is 50W per channel on the nose (both channels driven), and close to 60W one channel only.

The main reason for using 6L6s in the LXII is because they tend to be more rugged mechanically, so better suited for use in this tight environment.

How is the LXII different from the Syn5050 (which yes, we also designed)? Well, there is a reason the LXII costs a little more and that mainly has to do with the build quality of transformers. Though similar in design, the LXII OTs use a particularly high quality steel grade and are precision wound with kraft insulation (as opposed to tape), which improves frequency response and tonal consistency. The LXII also has a little more dynamic responsiveness, which as stated above, is important for modelers, preamps and slaved amps. The LXII also has the remote switchable features and Line Outs on each channel. The Syn5050 gives a little more coloration and sag, which they wanted to enhance the flavor of the modules.

About the Presence and Depth trimpots, over the decades, we've seen that most users set those controls a particular way and don't change that much if ever. They're not radical tone shaping features anyway, so the idea that they need to be intensely on demand is not consistent with our long experience on the subject. Being able to set them to taste and then switch them on and off individually or simultaneously is a very useful feature, an idea also borne out in extensive user feedback and validated over 2 years or so in field testing.

Is the LXII just 2 Power Station power amps in one box? Yes and no. Both products follow the same basic topology used on all of our power amp designs, and yes there are essentially two amps on one chassis, but the toroid power transformer in the LXII is a more efficient and responsive item that the square transformers in the PS-2, PS-100, 2/50/2 and 2/90/2, so it kind of straddles both worlds. If you only use one channel of the LXII, it will be stiffer than the PS-2 as a power amp. If you run both channels in stereo, or in bridge mono, you'll have more headroom and get better power supply utilization, which will give you a better feel, but not at bedroom volume. So, which is best for you is all about application."

"Depends on how loud you'll be playing and which cabs you're driving. They're all similar in design and all sound massive at low to medium volumes.
The LXII sounds remarkably big for it's size. The 2/90/2 will sound massive at higher volume than the 2/50/2 obviously.
The Classic XXX will stomp anything at any volume.
BTW, Mick did and still does use Classics, not 2150. Upcoming tour will be powered by Classic XXX :dude."

- support

I’d buy one. If it’s more than 4K that would be hard to swallow, but I’d do 4. Color or chrome face. Not black.

I'd love a black one. Or, absent that, the brushed metal look of my 2/90/2. I could live with mirrored chrome, but would be hard for me to stomach the pink/purple of the Classic XXX...which turned me off from buying one at the time. lol

When was this ever about the 2100...do we care wtf mick will be playing through, is anyone there understanding this is about a reissue 2150? Who asked to be sold on the 2100?

That was like a government press conference, we serve you and we don't hear anything you've said or care what you want...we make the 2100🖕

Wonderful...we want a 2150

That definitely won't happen. I agree with you though - the VHT logo is one of the coolest ever IMO
The problem now is that most of us associate the VHT with the Chinese manufactured stuff. I agree that cosmetically it was badass though!

Back